weekly Don's 52 for 2023 Catch up

The worst thing about the tough weeks, is when everyone else makes it look so easy!

The fact that that's a robins eye make it even more impressive. I thought an owl. But the smaller size of a robin ups the difficulty.

Sharp and detailed, really giving a look to the feather detail above the edge and the gorgeous colour underneath. The fact you have the hint of the beak still in frame is lovely.

Beautiful shot.

Thank you. The beak did pose a problem. If I left more in, then the eye became too small.

Lovely, and different shot Donal. The feather detail, especially at the top of the shot is remarkable and the reflections in the eye add further interest.

Thanks Simon. I've no idea why the feathers at 4 o'clock look mushier.

Quite different. Extreme close-ups do make for excellent images.
I thought I could see your selfie in the eye too :)

Thank you. I'm the taller shape on the right. The only reason that I can be sure is that the top rail of the fence is visible, and I was on the right hand side.

Week 15 - Snapper's choice.

I had a cracking weekend of photography learning. I've wanted to visit the Watercress Line to have a go at steam engines for some time. On Saturday, I visited Ropley Station, and it was a lovely spot.

P4151180-1k.jpg

P4151041-1k.jpg

On Sunday we went to Winchester and had a tour around the Cathedral.

P4161534-1k.jpg

P4161466-1k.jpg

This next one would be great if the light was right- I think. This is a WW1 memorial jost outside the cathedral but I can't get it looking right.P4161573-1k.jpg

Finally, we saw this when we came out of the pub after a very nice lunch and saw this:-
P4161558-1k.jpg

I'm going with the Harley because I love the look of the bike, and I've never managed to take a shot like this before.

Nice set - and a lovely S15 Steam loco :)

The Hardly Dangerous is nice too :)

Lovely set Donal. All good, but I'm leaning towards the train shot.

I'm finding the station shot a tad bright, especially given the grey weather we are having.

The Train is excellent, as is the indoor catheral shot with the candles, The next one is again a bit bright looking to me.

Pete

One day we'll have that clock running ;) and I'm going to place you on the Kings Cross (Harry Potter) Bridge for the S15 shot..
Not a bad hog shot, but I think I wouldn't have cropped it to square. I know it's not moving, but it is nice to have the space in front that it 'could' move into.

Nice set - and a lovely S15 Steam loco :)

The Hardly Dangerous is nice too :)

Lovely set Donal. All good, but I'm leaning towards the train shot.

I'm finding the station shot a tad bright, especially given the grey weather we are having.

The Train is excellent, as is the indoor catheral shot with the candles, The next one is again a bit bright looking to me.

Pete

2nd for me. A very good train shot.

One day we'll have that clock running ;) and I'm going to place you on the Kings Cross (Harry Potter) Bridge for the S15 shot..
Not a bad hog shot, but I think I wouldn't have cropped it to square. I know it's not moving, but it is nice to have the space in front that it 'could' move into.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.
I agree that the locomotive is a nicer photo. However, it was one of many, and luck played a large part.
The Harley shot is much more of a personal achievement. I am absolutely awful at composition. This is one of the first photos that has come out exactly as imagined.

I've darkened the sign/clock and recropped the steam shot,
P4151180-1kb.jpg

P415104-1kb.jpg

Some great shots Donal. I really love the close up of the Robin's eye and your Snapper's Choice shot is excellent (although I think that I like the train shot the best...)

Smooth... amazing detail - it looks metallic
Snappers - good set of images.. I do like the colour in the clock and sign.

I just love robins so this is a shot I really enjoy. I like being able to make out the reflection in the eye.

Week 16 - Connected

I decided to have another go at trains this weekend. After all, they are what connected up large parts of the world! They also feature lots of connected carriages etc.etc.

However, as always, the results are nothing like I had planned at all.

1) I just like this image. I've extended the crop to show all the cables that undoubtedly make sure that important equipment is connected up. A bit of a shoehorn perhaps.
P4221887-1k.jpg

2) There is a great image here somewhere - I think. This is the connecting bit between two carriages. I've no idea why steam is being discharged here, as it isn't near the engine.
P4221758-1k.jpg

3)
I initially discarded this, as there wasn't much colour, but it has grown on me. The connecting bars between the wheels.
P4221940-1k.jpg

4) I think that this chap was trying to stop two carriages getting connected:-
P4222007-1k.jpg

I'm torn between 3 & 4. I'm going with 4. The expression does it for me.

I like your chosen image - it certainly demonstrated connection.

Personally I really like #2 as well, all the more so because of the steam. I don't know why there is steam being vented away from the engine - though I do seem to recall that steam is piped through the train as part of the heating system. In fact, there is a clue to that written on the end of the carriage in image #4.

Great shot - this was my cunning plan for this week but can't get there!

Nice set and your chosen shot has great character with the man and his expression in there

I prefer the chosen image, and agree the facial expression adds something. Nice set all round.

Image wise I prefer #3 but understand your choice as you're right about the expression - he looks a bit stuck!

I like your chosen image - it certainly demonstrated connection.

Personally I really like #2 as well, all the more so because of the steam. I don't know why there is steam being vented away from the engine - though I do seem to recall that steam is piped through the train as part of the heating system. In fact, there is a clue to that written on the end of the carriage in image #4.
Heh - I hadn't read the text!
I mucked about with 2 for ages, but couldn't quite get a result that felt just right.

Great shot - this was my cunning plan for this week but can't get there!
They're having a steam rally event there this weekend. £35.00 entry! I haven't decided if I;m going or not.
Nice set and your chosen shot has great character with the man and his expression in there
That expression was only there for a fraction of a second. He was completely relaxed most of the time.

I prefer the chosen image, and agree the facial expression adds something. Nice set all round.
Thank you!
Image wise I prefer #3 but understand your choice as you're right about the expression - he looks a bit stuck!
I initially discounted 3. Later, I looked again, and I liked it. I suspect that if it had some steam, or colour, then I would have chosen it.

I think the expression makes your chosen image the winner for me.

But composition wise, I’m more drawn to number 1.
I loved the dog peering out of the poster at the guard who seems unaware.

Thanks for all the comments.

Week 17 - Liquid

I was down by the canal when this guy came past in a canoe. I've rotated the image 180. I quite like the effect.
P4282473-1k.jpg

The next one is from a local lake where the goslings have just appeared. They are very cute, and also very approachable. This is a bit of a shoehorn, but there is a lot of liquid in the image.

P5014159-1k.jpg

Finally, my choice for this week. We visited the Cathedral in Winchester and went down into the crypt, where there is a well. The liquid from the well floods most of the crypt, and a modern sculpture has been placed there. This is an original tourist attraction as opposed to an original feature of the Cathedral!!

P4303882-1k.jpg

Three nice shots for the theme. No3 is the one for sure. There's a Dr Who plot in there for sure :)

Connected, facial expression really makes the shot.
Liquid. Love this, the reflections are excellent. Lovely light. Personally I think whoever added the statue really knew what they were doing I really like it.

Your chosen shot makes you have a second take.
Very good series, they all fit nicely.

I'm with you on the chosen shot. Lovely composition and soft light. It has an ethereal quality.

I'm very pleased that my chosen shot went down well. I was worried that it might lack enough colour.

Three nice shots for the theme. No3 is the one for sure. There's a Dr Who plot in there for sure :)

It was a real surprise. We had completely missed it on our first visit - and the entrance doesn't suggest that there is anything interesting.

Connected, facial expression really makes the shot.
Liquid. Love this, the reflections are excellent. Lovely light. Personally I think whoever added the statue really knew what they were doing I really like it.

That was our feeling. The statue absolutely transforms the space. It was probably a brave choice, but it really worked incredibly well.

Good shots Donal. Spot on with that 3rd shot.

Thank you Simon.

Your chosen shot makes you have a second take.
Very good series, they all fit nicely.

Thanks Peter. Seeing it in the "flesh" makes you have a second take also. You almost don't believe that it's real.

I'm with you on the chosen shot. Lovely composition and soft light. It has an ethereal quality.
Thanks Helen.

Week 18 - Distant.

For some reason I really struggled with this one. This photo was taken from Portsdown Hill, above Portsmouth Harbour, with the Spinaker Tower in the middle distance, and the Isle of Wight several miles more Distant.
The day was very hazy, which is a pity. I did take an 8 frame horizontal panoramic, and this turned out much better than I expected. I'll go back and do that again when I think that the visibility is better.

P5077891-1k.jpg

That's a good shot Donal. Is that a castle or a church in the foreground?

That's a good shot Donal. Is that a castle or a church in the foreground?
Thanks Bill. It's Portchester Castle. I'm glad you asked, because I hadn't noticed it when I took the photo. It looks like it is worth a visit.

Week 19 - Fragile + Tech (Composite)

I've been doing a little project for the last few weeks - photographing and taking video of young chicks. This has been wonderfully relaxing, and rewarding. I've got two families of geese and one family of Egyptian Geese almost completely tame. A pair of ducks are not far behind, and have just started eating from my hand.

The little chicks are incredibly fragile, and need careful handling :-

P5212778-1k.jpg

I thought that it would be a good idea to invite them for dinner, and they gladly accepted. My chosen photo this week is titled "Ready for Dinner":-

P5171986-1k.jpg

Disclaimer:

No chicks were etc.. etc...

Lol, I'm glad you explained the image.
I once did a similar photo of our parrot sat in a saucepan on the hob (it wasn't on).

That's a good try for the theme but sadly the first image is not in focus as only the web feet are. The second image is a good try but it looks like halo is around them.

The first image is only there to amplify the sense of fragility. It is just a screengrab from some video. I haven't quite figured out how to hold the camera and aim/focus properly yet.

Lol, I'm glad you explained the image.
I once did a similar photo of our parrot sat in a saucepan on the hob (it wasn't on).

I must admit that I was a bit nervous about posting it. (The "need careful handling" comment was firmly tongue in cheek. )

I like the idea of the image, and it is something I need to try and get to grips with in post :)
It was very quick and easy.

Affinity, Photoshop or Gimp all use a similiar process.

1. Open the "Oven" photo.
2. Paste the Gosling photo over the oven - (It should come in as a new layer)
3. Add a Mask to the Gosling layer.
4. Paint the mask black where you want the oven to be visible.

The "Halo" that Dave referred to is because I wasn't very careful with the mask. I used a big soft brush. Youtube videos will show examples that are much more precise, however, in practice they are always much more difficult

Fun shot Donal, I like the explanation that you provided for Adam above.

Back