Don't forget folks, a NAS on its own isn't a back-up solution!

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
So, my Synology DS1515+ of nearly 3 years has just been shipped back to Synology for repair/replacement as it unexpectedly started randomly rebooting (without shutting down first). Over 10TB of media and documents both personal and business related suddenly inaccessible. Fortunately, I have back-ups, but it scares me to think there are people out there risking all of their data by not having a robust back-up system.

Since Amazon stopped their unlimited cloud drive offering, I'm quite looking forward to when Google One becomes available to make multi-terabyte cloud storage more affordable again.

You can either plug the hard drives into a desktop PC or fit them to external cases. Data can then be accessed.

You can either plug the hard drives into a desktop PC or fit them to external cases. Data can then be accessed.

Unlikely as they will have been configured as a RAID array. So the data isn’t quite as easily accessible.

Not always the case, id certainly not rely on that as a recovery method. As above raid levels could mean the data is inaccessible. Although most use the EXT type systems.

Also the likes of Drobo for example use their own proprietary file system away from the mainstream nux type which makes the drives unreadable (plus their support sucks).

But totally agree with the op and I've been saying this forever, no raid level is a backup. It's only a method of redundancy allowing 24/7 uptime. It will never protect from deletion, corruption (etc) or some types of hardware failure.

In your backup plan count raid as 1 copy of your data.

Since Amazon stopped their unlimited cloud drive offering, I'm quite looking forward to when Google One becomes available to make multi-terabyte cloud storage more affordable again.

I'm with backblaze at $5 per month. Seems pretty good. That first back-up takes weeks but I guess that would be the way with any cloud arrangement.

Defo pay for a decent cloud service.

Also the likes of Drobo for example use their own proprietary file system

In your backup plan count raid as 1 copy of your data.

I didn't know that the likes of Drobo using their own file system, I just assumed they all used the EXT system.
I learned years ago not to rely on one system when an Intel raid 1 failed in a desktop and corrupted both drives but luckily I was able to recover the data.
Nowadays I use a Synology NAS, a HDD in a desktop and a weekly back up to an external HDD that is kept off site.

Unlikely as they will have been configured as a RAID array. So the data isn’t quite as easily accessible.

Yes, depending on the file system it uses.

They were indeed. I'm hoping I can just slot them back into the replacement unit and carry on...

Just out of interest having tried accessing the drives?

I didn't know that the likes of Drobo using their own file system, I just assumed they all used the EXT system.
I learned years ago not to rely on one system when an Intel raid 1 failed in a desktop and corrupted both drives but luckily I was able to recover the data.
Nowadays I use a Synology NAS, a HDD in a desktop and a weekly back up to an external HDD that is kept off site.

Yep - and Synology have their own version of RAID5 too

How? I’d had them configured as a single SHR volume across 5 drives.

Sorry, I misread the Synology model you have, I thought you had a 2 drive system.

Yep - and Synology have their own version of RAID5 too

I'm glad mine uses EXT4, at least I can access them independently if I ever need to.
I've never been a fan of striped RAID so no chance I would have used that on my mine.

I'm glad mine uses EXT4, at least I can access them independently if I ever need to.
I've never been a fan of striped RAID so no chance I would have used that on my mine.
The irony is that the drives themselves were fine and that it was the unit that was failing! :LOL:

The irony is that the drives themselves were fine and that it was the unit that was failing! :LOL:

Yes, that wasn't lost on me ... I suffered a similar occurrence with Thecus. The problem was it was a proprietary RAID :(

Two weeks later and my replacement unit is on its way to me! I'm really hoping I can just slot my drives back in and pick up where I left off...

Received my replacement NAS today, slotted the disk drives in and everything's up and running again!

Back