Don't know what to upgrade to?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I currently have a Canon 550d and had it for nearly 2 years now, I love this camera but I am thinking of upgrading.

I'm not sure to on what to get I'm between the Canon 70D and the 7D Mk1 as budget (grief from Wife) won't really stretch to the MkII.

Is it worth Me upgrading, I like to shot Macro's and also Wildlife, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Phil

Don't know what to upgrade to? - then don't. Simples.

If you're bored with what you've got you'll be boredwith what you get. A genuine upgrade will excite/interest you enough hat you don't need to ask strangers which of two options is "right for you" - because if you don't know what's right for you, how the **** do you expect someone else to know?

Sounds like you're angling for a bored-and-nothing-on-the-tv Sunday night internet purchase that you'll end up having to sneak into the house.. ..

As others have suggested, if you're upgrading because of specific limitations with your current camera, then you already know what to do. You already say that you love your current camera, so if you're not upgrading because of specific limitations, then don't bother. Hold off until you do find a real limitation with your current camera. If you upgrade just for the sake of a new toy, you'll regret it.

There's nothing wrong with buying new kit, but it's only helpful if you know why to buy new kit. New kit just for the sake of it may actually cause a decrease in quality of images, because of unfamiliarity and lack of commitment to get the best out of it.

I've never used anything different to the Camera that I've got I have found that the Canon 550 has a limitation with the 3.7fps shooting as I do Archery and it's difficult to get arrows in flight, I've also wondered if the 19 AF points would make a difference in macro

If it's still like Macro then di it manually, if it's insects and stuff then its probably mroe you moving around than the AF struggling.

The 7D will give you a much better FPS though if that's what you want.

I'm a Nikon shooter so know nothing about the dark side.
having said that I just looked at Snapsort your 2 choices.
The 70D looks much better for wildlife with its weather sealing, 19 x focus points, 7fps. The flip out screen would be handy for macro photography.
The downside is the 70D is a chunk.

It looks like you'll get about £150 for your 550D and a new 70D will be about £600 grey.

Now ask yourself are those 3-4 extras worth £450 and you'll have your answer.

Another useful link

As a macro shooter and 550D owner I can tell you not to worry about the 19 auto-focus points for macro work. The exception might be if you want to shoot dragonflies in flight, but I don't even think the auto-focus on the 7D will be quick enough for them anyway. You'll probably still have more luck shooting manual.

pretty muchall my macro i use the rocking backwards and forwards technique anyway

btw if you just want toupgrade to a more capable camera , you could look at a second use 50 or 60D , and then spend the rest of the cash on lenses or days out (or beer and women of negotiable virtue)

As a macro shooter and 550D owner I can tell you not to worry about the 19 auto-focus points for macro work. The exception might be if you want to shoot dragonflies in flight, but I don't even think the auto-focus on the 7D will be quick enough for them anyway. You'll probably still have more luck shooting manual.

Interesting you mention Dragonflies, Have tried on numerous occasions to get Dragonflies and Mayflies to little joy.

19, I wish I had 19 and I get dragonflies. 500d btw. Also I dont use AF for them ;)

I would say spend the cash on new glass etc rather than another cropped body.

Probably better to invest in good glass, depending on what you already have.

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Back