dont understand the debt crisis?

Name
martin
Edit My Images
No
Now we all get it:bonk:
Helen is the proprietor of a bar in Detroit.:)

She realizes that virtually all of her customers are unemployed
alcoholics and, as such, can no longer afford to patronize her bar.:help:

To solve this problem, she comes up with a new marketing plan that
allows her customers to drink now, but pay later.

Helen keeps track of the drinks consumed on a ledger (thereby granting
the customers' loans).:rules:

Word gets around about Helen's "drink now, pay later" marketing
strategy and, as a result, increasing numbers of customers flood into
Helen's bar. Soon she has the largest sales volume for any bar in
Detroit

By providing her customers freedom from immediate payment demands,
Helen gets no resistance when, at regular intervals, she substantially
increases her prices for wine and beer, the most consumed beverages.

Consequently, Helen's gross sales volume increases massively.

A young and dynamic vice-president at the local bank recognizes that
these customer debts constitute valuable future assets and increases
Helen's borrowing limit.

He sees no reason for any undue concern, since he has the debts of the
unemployed alcoholics as collateral!!!:wacky:

At the bank's corporate headquarters, expert traders figure a way to
make huge commissions, and transform these customer loans into DRINK
BONDS.

These "securities" then are bundled and traded on international
securities markets.

Naive investors don't really understand that the securities being sold
to them as "AAA Secured Bonds" really are debts of unemployed
alcoholics. Nevertheless, the bond prices continuously climb!!!, and
the securities soon become the hottest-selling items for some of the
nation's leading brokerage houses.

One day, even though the bond prices still are climbing, a risk
manager at the original local bank decides that the time has come to
demand payment on the debts incurred by the drinkers at Helen's bar.
He so informs Helen.

Helen then demands payment from her alcoholic patrons, but being
unemployed alcoholics they cannot pay back their drinking debts.

Since Helen cannot fulfill her loan obligations she is forced into
bankruptcy. The bar closes and Helen's 11 employees lose their jobs.

Overnight, DRINK BOND prices drop by 90%.

The collapsed bond asset value destroys the bank's liquidity and
prevents it from issuing new loans, thus freezing credit and economic
activity in the community.

The suppliers of Helen's bar had granted her generous payment
extensions and had invested their firms' pension funds in the BOND
securities.

They find they are now faced with having to write off her bad debt and
with losing over 90% of the presumed value of the bonds.

Her wine supplier also claims bankruptcy, closing the doors on a
family business that had endured for three generations, her beer
supplier is taken over by a competitor, who immediately closes the
local plant and lays off 150 workers.

Fortunately though, the bank, the brokerage houses and their
respective executives are saved and bailed out by a multibillion
dollar no-strings attached cash infusion from the government.

The funds required for this bailout are obtained by new taxes levied
on employed, middle-class, nondrinkers who have never been in Helen's
bar.:bang:

Now do you understand?

Brilliant!

Spot on. But where do Berlusconi's tarts fit into all this.

I know this is not supposed to be politics... but for all our politicans faults, they have nothing on old Silvio... things could be worse!

Cake shop down the road? :shrug:

Helena is the proprietor of a cake shop in Milan.

chocaholics and, as such, can no longer afford to patronize her shop.....

Helena is the proprietor of a cake shop in Milan.

chocaholics and, as such, can no longer afford to patronize her shop.....

:LOL: I'm sure a chocolate finger fits in somewhere...

Even if we fully understood it we still can't do bugger all about it except continuing to pay tax allowing these so called experts to run/ruin our lives.

Even if we fully understood it we still can't do bugger all about it except continuing to pay tax allowing these so called experts to run/ruin our lives.

If the population paid off their debts and took their money out of the main banks and refused to be pushed around any more. Then banks would poo themselves and bend over backwards to get our trade back... kissing our backsides in the process and then we could dictate what we want, as we'd have all the power.

I mean cash is still perfectly useful, one doesn't need a credit card to live a fulfilling life.

:nuts:

If the population paid off their debts

And therein lies the problem!

The vast majority need debt to live. Be that for a mortgage or a car or whatever.

But the debit crisis is GOVERNMENT debt not personal debt

Now if the government stopped spending so much on Health, Education and welfare THEN we could have a solution.

The problem isn't Helens unemployed alcoholics, but it's the government who keeps treating these people and making them healthy again to go back and carry on drinking using our taxes to buy the drinks off Helen in the first place.

And therein lies the problem!

The vast majority need debt to live. Be that for a mortgage or a car or whatever.

yes.

If the loan for the house had been from real assets, then the books would balance..same for the car.

Its those providing mortgages against assets that have yet to be paid for that are to blame, Helen in this case.

Forbiddenbiker said:
yes.

If the loan for the house had been from real assets, then the books would balance..same for the car.

Its those providing mortgages against assets that have yet to be paid for that are to blame, Helen in this case.

I disagree. Sure, the banks shouldn't have offered the loans but people need to accept a level of personal accountability. People shouldn't be taking out loans when they're fully aware that they have no means to meet the repayments, and in many cases taking additional loans to meet the repayments, delay the inevitable and compound the problem.

It also seems that this discussion is veering between the credit crisis (banks) and the national debt crisis (government).

Rags Make Paper
Paper Makes Money
Money Makes Banks
Banks Make Loans
Loans Make Beggars
Beggars Make Rags

;)

But the debit crisis is GOVERNMENT debt not personal debt

Now if the government stopped spending so much on Health, Education and welfare THEN we could have a solution.

Perhaps if governments had to pay for the basics such as health, education and welfare BEFORE spending on extravagant luxuries like nuclear defence, military hardware, overseas military expeditions..

I disagree. Sure, the banks shouldn't have offered the loans but people need to accept a level of personal accountability. People shouldn't be taking out loans when they're fully aware that they have no means to meet the repayments, and in many cases taking additional loans to meet the repayments, delay the inevitable and compound the problem.

It also seems that this discussion is veering between the credit crisis (banks) and the national debt crisis (government).

Its the same debt to me ...just ripples from two years ago that have as yet been impossible for governments to fully absorb.

People have to live and work somewhere, the market prices rise continuously mostly cause by the faulty system which is still paying for the passed mortgages and loans.
So IF the banks want to pay off the passed loans, then they have to offer the ability for new buyers to get new loans ..and so the spiral starts again.

The people just want to live somewhere. they have little choice, But the inflation driven prices are mostly all down to the banks.

:D Oh thats good, who wrote that, do you know? Oh soz I suppose you may have. grin

Not me mate :shrug: but it was told to me as a child by my Grandmother ;)

The problem is greed.

The fat cats want obscene salaries, more money than they could ever spend.

The Proletariat want a T shirt for £3 and a pair of trainers for £5 regardless of the fact that the only way they can have this is to buy from somewhere where there is no ethics and therefore a child makes their t shirt rather than going to school for a subsistence living and the person in UK who used to make the t shirt or indeed virtually anything else is made redundant so they cannot afford even the £3 t shirt.

The chavs want their 156" genital substitute plasma tv NOW so they take out a loan which they understand is free money which they will not have to pay back.

...and so it all went horribly wrong. :crying:

Agree and disagree Oggy.

The chavs and useless people have never had the spending power to generate such huge debts, their role in this is as a scapegoat, for in reality the tiny amount of debt they cause is meaningless against the huge debt left by banks trading on assets that didn't exist.

(y) The first 3/4 I knew.. but the last quarter was interesting and suggested their really are solutions ...if only countries leaders had the guts to do something about it ... unfortunately they don.t, their life comes first and that a pretty powerful argument most of us would crumble too ...?

Not every leader would avoid assassination I feel, but where are they? as ufortunately this is what we need most. :puke:

Last edited:
Agree and disagree Oggy.

The chavs and useless people have never had the spending power to generate such huge debts, their role in this is as a scapegoat, for in reality the tiny amount of debt they cause is meaningless against the huge debt left by banks trading on assets that didn't exist...

Each according to their ability, but the mentality is scarily similar.

Back