Banned : Trading/Abuse of Classifieds
Suspended / Banned
Name
Lawrence
Edit My Images
Yes

Last edited:
lawrenceots said:
the way the current generation are fixated on text messaging and Facebook communication over good ol' talking!?

Dries me mad, my gf and I are going through a bad time, and she refuses to FaceTime or call - instead resorts to text messages outlining all her problems using about 400 letters! For gods sake!! What is wrong with calling and speaking! It's a sign of lack of strength and character I think, they don't have the guts to say it out loud so do the easy option. I think its pathetic - I'd one to have all texting banned!!

Textign is great for the odd message but for serious problems and when stuff is serious!!!! I'm never going to let my kids loose verbal communication. It's disgraceful!

Sorry to hear about your problem. What you describe is a sign of the times. Methods of communication evolve.

It's not just texting, it's mobile phones period.

I'm sick and tired of having meal times interrupted by text/emails that everyone HAS to answer immediately.

In our house, when we sit down to eat, phones are banned from the room. It's so nice to sit and spend time without the constant barrage of text/keypad tones and people getting distracted from good, old fashioned, face to face conversation!

Andy

I'm also sorry to hear about your problem and its very frustrating to have to deal with the problem via text. Texting is really handy for telling mates where we can meet for the footie or for asking the wife to put the dinner on, as the footballs nearly finished:LOL: but, I never use it to hide facing up to something/someone.

My son, who is 10, is asking for a phone. He's got no chance! I guess I'll fold to his demands when he reaches his know-it-all teens but, I just can't get my head around the idea that a 10 year old is communicating to the world privately.

My one pet hate is "txt spk" that drives me insane. Im lucky in that my daughter (only 7) is exceptionally good at reading and writing for her age. As she lives so far away from me i bought her a mobile phone at Christmas so me and her can always talk/text. So far the texting hasn't brought out any habits of spelling things in text speak as i wouldnt want her to think that was an actual acceptable language.

Gareth

Written communication is more precise. You can't be interrupted either. Perhaps she's trying to tell you something?!

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. A phone call can be a nuisance at the wrong time but texts you can at least go off and do other things while having a text chat. With a phone call it is a lot more tricky.

Texting, Facebook, Msn, Mobiles, emails etc ....all have a place but like anything it's a matter of balance.

I wouldn't say that any of these things are wrong or frustrating so long as other forms of communication are incorporated alongside including talking ( by phone and face to face) and letters...yes the old fashioned hand written letter...such a joy to receive one through the post as against an email. It is actually quite therputic to write one too unlike typing on a keyboard.

Not unlike Andy, when we sit down to eat, telephones are ignored....there is always a voicemail/answerphone should the incoming message be so important.

Similar if we are doing something ......the phone is answered/text replied to a our convenience, not at the demand of the caller!

Some would say ignorant behaviour, we see it as a sensible way of being able to lead our lives without being controlled by the immediate want of others.

Quite ironic people complaining about the way people communicate these day's!!!!, whilst using a internet bloody forum, is this not double standards... ??

Well in my book it is!

mxfun said:
Quite ironic people complaining about the way people communicate these day's!!!!, whilst using a internet bloody forum, is this not double standards... ??

Well in my book it is!

No double standards from where I'm sat. My bug bear is meal time usage and I don't read the forum at meal times.

Andy

Well in my book it is!

Not sure it is double standards.....the op agrees that texting for odd messages etc is not an issue. the problem he has arrives when it is a difficult/important topic that needs more intimate contact...ie talking.

Even on here a similar view could apply....for example in classifieds. All dealings are done through the forum and PMs, however amongst other details , phone numbers are exchanged between seller & buyer just in case an important issue arrives which requires that more intimate communication.

As I mentioned in my previous posting ...it comes down to finding a balance!

Quite ironic people complaining about the way people communicate these day's!!!!, whilst using a internet bloody forum!

arrrrgh I hate it when people beat me to it! :)

It's not just texting, it's mobile phones period.

I'm sick and tired of having meal times interrupted by text/emails that everyone HAS to answer immediately.

:plus1:
You are not alone sir.

And when you're out in the evening and the person(s) your with's wife/girlfriend/god knows who is texting every 5 minutes. And of course that has to be answered immediately. If you'd rather be communicating with someone else all night why did you come out in the first place?

I'm more concerned with the effect Facebook has in the workplace, people can't seem to stay away from it - especially girls - and productivity plummets. Can't block it as those who want it blocked also use it! They'll just switch over to their iPhones instead anyway.

:plus1:
You are not alone sir.

And when you're out in the evening and the person(s) your with's wife/girlfriend/god knows who is texting every 5 minutes. And of course that has to be answered immediately. If you'd rather be communicating with someone else all night why did you come out in the first place?

A pet hate of mine as well, the Mrs used to drive me insane with it, she couldn't even turn her phone off at night 'just in case'! :wacky:

I've posted this before but it seems very appropriate for this thread (NSFW, sweary)

[youtube]dFQVyGXqQqU[/youtube]

I am with you on this Lawrence (y) My other half will often text saying she is going to the shops is there anything I would like for dinner or whatever. FFS!! it is then like playing twenty questions :LOL:

Well in my book it is!

I think what the OP is getting at is what I had a go at my 26 year old daughter about earlier in the week,a serious falling out with a friend because Texts crossed and got misunderstood rather than having a face to face conversation when they were together an hour earlier

Texting and other forms of text communication is all fine by me. Agreed it has a time and a place, but its pretty common for people to use their phones to communicate using any other means than the 'phone' itself.
Prime example is Will I Am using his phone to Tweet while on TV, mildly amusing, and probably has its uses.
The problem with text when having a serious conversation, particularly any form of argument / dispute, is that text has no tone. We all know you can say the same words and mean 7 different things depending on how you say it. When your reading a text, if you're in a bad mood, you will read it in a bad way, and in a good mood you will read it in a nicer tone.
In my experience, having an argument via text just means that by the time you see the person, the problem is 10 times worse, ironically, i have also found that if you ignore the texter, they will probably call you anyway ;)

I used to travel a lot by train when mobile phones were starting to become common and hated having peoples conversations rammed down my throat.The texting is a lot less annoying imo

My one pet hate is "txt spk" that drives me insane. Im lucky in that my daughter (only 7) is exceptionally good at reading and writing for her age. As she lives so far away from me i bought her a mobile phone at Christmas so me and her can always talk/text. So far the texting hasn't brought out any habits of spelling things in text speak as i wouldnt want her to think that was an actual acceptable language.

Gareth

My son once sent me a message using what appeared to be just consonants, 'txt spk' I suppose.

I replied using just vowels. It did the trick.

are you not capable of phoning her or going to see her :wacky:

the way the current generation are fixated on text messaging and Facebook communication over good ol' talking!?

Dries me mad, my gf and I are going through a bad time, and she refuses to FaceTime or call - instead resorts to text messages outlining all her problems using about 400 letters! For gods sake!! What is wrong with calling and speaking! It's a sign of lack of strength and character I think, they don't have the guts to say it out loud so do the easy option. I think its pathetic - I'd one to have all texting banned!!

Textign is great for the odd message but for serious problems and when stuff is serious!!!! I'm never going to let my kids loose verbal communication. It's disgraceful!

are you not capable of phoning her or going to see her :wacky:

I might be wrong - maybe it was the previous girlfriend - but I think she lives in Germany

bit far to go regularly :LOL:

txting in bars makes me look like I've got mates who simply haven't turned up yet :D

*Possibly insert a full-stop after 'mates' and delete the rest lol.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Back