Dorest Coast, One Sunset, One Sunrise

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Later in the month, I have a meeting in Trowbridge finishing around 2pm, and have to be back in Trowbridge for another customer at 8.30am the following morning, thinking of making the trip to the Dorest Coast (and staying in a hotel down there), so if you had one Sunset and One Sunrise location, what would it be??

Corfe shot to death! Dancing ledge if you wanna walk! Portland and pulpit rock ! Kimmeridge if tide is right and of course the cob at Lyme Regis

Corfe Castle for sunrise
Colmers Hill for sunset

ETA: obviously neither are on the coast but I'm not really a seascape guy although I will be hoping to get a few next month in Norfolk. :LOL:

Give us a shout when you're down Norfolk way next, I'll happily take the shot while you pose in the water....:naughty:

Just to add Old Harrys Rocks could be good if the weather plays nice.

I've never had any joy there! It's a fair walk with nothing at the end! [emoji23]

So is Stanage but you still shot it the other day... :D

I'm from Dorset now living in Nottingham so stannage new to me! Point taken

I've never had any joy there! It's a fair walk with nothing at the end! [emoji23]

That Mr Bauer seems to squeeze a decent image every now and again from there, but agree its a fair walk when nothing happens.
At least if its rubbish you can pop in the pub for a 'pick me up' :whistle:

Later in the month, I have a meeting in Trowbridge finishing around 2pm, and have to be back in Trowbridge for another customer at 8.30am the following morning, thinking of making the trip to the Dorest Coast (and staying in a hotel down there), so if you had one Sunset and One Sunrise location, what would it be??

How about Clifton Suspension Bridge or the Severn Estuary/Bridge etc? Both a fair bit closer, better availability of (cheap) hotels etc or could be done based in Trowbridge overnight quite easily.

I'm from just outside Trowbridge, not short of interesting places much nearer either, Westbury White Horse, Shearwater Lake, Castle Combe Village etc.

How about Clifton Suspension Bridge or the Severn Estuary/Bridge etc? Both a fair bit closer, better availability of (cheap) hotels etc or could be done based in Trowbridge overnight quite easily.

I'm from just outside Trowbridge, not short of interesting places much nearer either, Westbury White Horse, Shearwater Lake, Castle Combe Village etc.

Thanks Chris, I've spent quite a bit of time in the last few years working in Swindon, Chippenham and Bristol, so am familiar with all the places that you mention (and taken pictures at them), just fancied something different this time, and I have an afternoon to get there as well!

Obviously it depends what you are after, but at this time of the year the sun rises/sets so far inland that most coastal locations are very tricky at either end of the day.

Old Harry's Rocks/Studland/Swanage good for sunrise this time of year in terms of facing into the sunrise.

Certain bits of Kimmeridge Bay will see round to the sunset, but not much.

The barn at Sixpenny Handley is a nice spot but not coastal. Might be a nice crop in there at the mo.

Well I completely bottled it, a 5am start to get to my meeting then free at 1pm, hot was an understatement, it was also exceptionally hazy, so I went to the Tank Museum at Bovington, nice and cool, and its changed quite a bit since I last went there 40 years ago!!! Went to the barn at Sixpenny Handley and Gold Hill in Shaftsbury on the way back to the hotel, was really tired and fell asleep at 9.30pm!!!!

Thanks for all the ideas though, I'll have to plan another trip around a customer vist!!! hopefully when the sun is more in my favour.

Back