Double monitors and Dell Inspiron

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
Calling all IT folk - apologies in advance for my lack of hardware knowledge :)

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop (think it is inspiron 15) which I'd like to run two monitors off. It is slow on the boot but runs CC with no issues whatsoever. It's a few years old (about 4-5) - an i3, 1TB HD which I upgraded to 16GB RAM. I basically use it like a desktop with keyboard and fixed monitor but I have the flexibility of a laptop at the same time.

In work I have a Dell Latitude and I use it with a docking station to run two monitors but it has the connection 'thingy' on the bottom to enable me to do this.

Is there anything I can buy to run two monitors at home? I've seen a few different types of docking station but have searched high an low to find something that would work with my laptop. Or given the age of the laptop should I be upgrading to a new machine that has the connection thingy and buying a docking station??

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi Julie,

first of all exact laptop model would help and/or available connections (DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA etc.) :) it should be on sticker on the back. in general you will be able to run laptop screen + 1 external screen no problems, to run 2 external monitors you most likely will need USB to VGA adapter or HDMI splitter. Also need to know what resolution those 2 external displays?

Last edited:
Thanks ao much for getting back to me, Andrius. I am running one external screen at the minute but would love to run 2 to do tutorials etc. The laptop is at home unfortunately for me to check the exact model and connections but I'll check later. The monitors are Dell U2212HMC and are 1920x1080.

Thanks ao much for getting back to me, Andrius. I am running one external screen at the minute but would love to run 2 to do tutorials etc. The laptop is at home unfortunately for me to check the exact model and connections but I'll check later. The monitors are Dell U2212HMC and are 1920x1080.

those monitors should have VGA connections. Dependig on laptop (4-5 years old) should have VGA too. So you might just need USB to VGA cable (https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Adapters...TF8&qid=1487177834&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+to+vga).

Or you maybe have VGA and HDMI connections on laptop?
will wait till laptop model number :)

Hi Andrius

It's a Dell 15R 5520 laptop. I'll not be home until late to check the ports but I managed to find the receipt in my emails :)

Thanks
Julie

Ah that's just brilliant!! Thank you so much. I asked our IT guys on a few occasions and it all seemed a tad impossible without buying a new laptop. I was just about to order a new laptop when I thought I'd ask here. So glad I did! Sep9001 and Andrius - I really do appreciate your help! Thank you.

Ah that's just brilliant!! Thank you so much. I asked our IT guys on a few occasions and it all seemed a tad impossible without buying a new laptop. I was just about to order a new laptop when I thought I'd ask here. So glad I did! Sep9001 and Andrius - I really do appreciate your help! Thank you.

Your monitors don't have HDMI connections so you have options what Kev said above, also possible to get USB to VGA converter. You have few options here :)

Back