Double stupid

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
"Just wanted to share", as they say ...

As if that yellow "Baby On Board" sign isn't pointless enough, I saw for the first time last week "Mum To Be On Board". But right now there's a car parked outside here with what has to be the ultimate in yellow sign stupidity.

"Grandkids On Board".

It's hung in the nearside rear door window ...

That is pretty ridiculous.

Both my Wife and I have those yellow 'Baby on Board' signs in our cars, and to a point yes I agree, they are a bit pointless. If some is going to drive like an arse and follow me 1.5" from my rear bumper, they will probably do it with or without the sign being there, but I think when you are first time Parent (as we are), they become part of the preparation shopping list for some reason. Stock of Nappies - Check, Wet wipes - Check, Digital thermometer - Check, Silly yellow signs - Check :D

The true point of said stickers is to alert the emergency services, in the event of an accident, that they should be looking for a baby / child / pregnant woman etc. to have been involved.
They should really be removed if the kids etc. are not in the car.
And anyone with "Powered by Fairydust" anywhere on the car, or lashes on the headlights should be shot on sight :)

That is pretty ridiculous.

Both my Wife and I have those yellow 'Baby on Board' signs in our cars, and to a point yes I agree, they are a bit pointless. If some is going to drive like an arse and follow me 1.5" from my rear bumper, they will probably do it with or without the sign being there, but I think when you are first time Parent (as we are), they become part of the preparation shopping list for some reason. Stock of Nappies - Check, Wet wipes - Check, Digital thermometer - Check, Silly yellow signs - Check :D

Or a reminder to not forget said baby :D

Sent from Button Moon.....

The true point of said stickers is to alert the emergency services, in the event of an accident, that they should be looking for a baby / child / pregnant woman etc. to have been involved.
And anyone with "Powered by Fairydust" anywhere on the car, or lashes on the headlights should be shot on sight :)

I didnt know that, Ruth. I dont feel so silly about having them now :D

Agreed on the fairydust and lashes thing as well!!

I didnt know that, Ruth. I dont feel so silly about having them now :D

Agreed on the fairydust and lashes thing as well!!

Glad to have been of service :)

I mean it about the fairydust thing though.....I'll shoot ya dead. :LOL:

Some years ago I had one that said "I used to be conceited but now I'm absolutely perfect"

I got over it though... :exit:

I have a personal hatred for those signs :( comes from being cut up too many times by people with them :LOL: that said the ratio of sign to no sign cars is probably insignificant it just you notice the sign when you get cut up :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The one I wonder about is 'Horses' written on the front and back of horsebox trucks. What else is going to be in there and who cares?

Steve.

The one I wonder about is 'Horses' written on the front and back of horsebox trucks. What else is going to be in there and who cares?

Steve.

That's a relatively simple one I'd guess its to try and stop people sounding horns as it may spook the horses and cause them to get agrivated thus causing injury to themselves...that and also try possible explain why they may be taking corners slower that expected

And why are they sometimes "Caution Horses"? Are those a special breed, or are they perhaps just horses that are more nervous than "Horses"?

(Whatever, I always reckoned that The Caution Horses was a pretty OK album. Not in the same league as The Trinity Sessions, but not half bad ...)

Yes, and a serious anecdote here...

Many years ago, when I was struggling to earn a living as a photographer, I was working nights as a minicab driver.
One bitterly cold night, in rural essex I came across a serious accident, the car had gone into a tree. The driver was very dead, the front seat passenger was seriously injured. Radio to base obviously, then my 4 passengers (they were all very drunk but sobered up very quickly) did what we could to help.
We found a carrier bag with nappies and baby clothes in it, nearby. But no baby.
Radio update, emergency services responded in force and included A LOT of police, and we got people out of nearby houses too. We searched for hours but never found the baby.
It turned out that the driver had given a lift to someone with a baby, and had dropped them off before the accident, but the mother had left the bag in the car. when the doors burst open the bag ended up in the trees. That bag of clothes acted as a silly yellow sticker, and wasted a lot of time.

I was discussing this with a friend at work the other day - she remembers when the signs first came out.
Back in the days before secured baby seats became mandatory they probably served more of a purpose than they do now - it wouldn't have been unusual for an unsecured baby to be thrown from a car or slide down underneath seats in a collision.
If the parents were incapacitated or worse, then yes, I can see those signs would have served a very valuable purpose.
These days, perhaps less so - and the signs seem to be used as more of a 'cuteness' statement than for any real purpose.
I bet most people don't even know what they were intended to be used for.

Pass me the gun :D

Last edited:
Yes, and a serious anecdote here...

Many years ago, when I was struggling to earn a living as a photographer, I was working nights as a minicab driver.
One bitterly cold night, in rural essex I came across a serious accident, the car had gone into a tree. The driver was very dead, the front seat passenger was seriously injured. Radio to base obviously, then my 4 passengers (they were all very drunk but sobered up very quickly) did what we could to help.
We found a carrier bag with nappies and baby clothes in it, nearby. But no baby.
Radio update, emergency services responded in force and included A LOT of police, and we got people out of nearby houses too. We searched for hours but never found the baby.
It turned out that the driver had given a lift to someone with a baby, and had dropped them off before the accident, but the mother had left the bag in the car. when the doors burst open the bag ended up in the trees. That bag of clothes acted as a silly yellow sticker, and wasted a lot of time.

That's a sad story, but accidentally leaving a bag in the car after accepting a lift is just that...accidental
Leaving those signs in cars when there's no child on board is just idle imo.

On the amusing side though, my father used to say that the only time he'd be worried about a child on board, is "if they're letting the little sod drive"! :LOL:

As a member of the emergency services i can state that i don't place any faith or interest in those baby signs. In most rtc's that could cause a child to be thrown from a vehicle the rear glass has almost certainly gone, the sign along with it. I look inside every car I'm allocated to and look for a child, a car seat or word from the other occupants to alert me to a child being present.
People don't take those signs out-ever.

You want 'stupid', wait until you see the car with the family of stick men in the rear window representing the occupants.

Been around for a while in the US, but sadly creeping in over here, too :meh: :indifferent:

You want 'stupid', wait until you see the car with the family of stick men in the rear window representing the occupants.

Been around for a while in the US, but sadly creeping in over here, too :meh: :indifferent:

Sadly so! We have neighbours whose 14 year old son took up "playing" the drums. I don't think he'll ever rival Ginger Baker, because the more he practiced the worse he got and thankfully he now seems to have given up!

However their previous Chelsea Tractor 4x4 had stick men motifs in the rear window, including a drummer and I was oh so tempted to add a cross of white tape to cross out that figure! :rage:

Ah OK I thought it meant, I can park on double yellows and leave the kids in the car for a few minutes ;)

The one that amuses me is "Show Dogs in Transit"
Usually on the rear of a Volvo estate or even a 4x4 of some description.
So there is a lie to start with ;)

I've yet to see that one, but,
the best one I saw in the States,
" I have PMT and a .44 Magnum, ANY QUESTIONS?"

As a member of the emergency services i can state that i don't place any faith or interest in those baby signs. In most rtc's that could cause a child to be thrown from a vehicle the rear glass has almost certainly gone, the sign along with it. I look inside every car I'm allocated to and look for a child, a car seat or word from the other occupants to alert me to a child being present.
People don't take those signs out-ever.

I think that was my point :LOL:

Ah OK I thought it meant, I can park on double yellows and leave the kids in the car for a few minutes ;)

The one that amuses me is "Show Dogs in Transit"
Usually on the rear of a Volvo estate or even a 4x4 of some description.
So there is a lie to start with ;)

I've yet to see that one, but,
the best one I saw in the States,
" I have PMT and a .44 Magnum, ANY QUESTIONS?"

Now under no circumstances would a "show dogs in transit" have a bearing for me :LOL:

T

At last, something you and I agree on. Shooting is far too kind though. I prefer a more prolonged educational penance.

Now under no circumstances would a "show dogs in transit" have a bearing for me :LOL:
Well I believe you said you drive a car not a van?
So I guess not :p

I've been looking for a couple of "My other car is a Jaguar" bumper stickers...

Many years ago, a friend of Dad's eventually noticed the matching pair of Porsche and Rolls Royce stickers - applied by his sons, not me!

Well, it's something to aim towards.

I once saw "Caution - Show Shire Horses In Transit" (it wasn't even a Transit - it was a Bedford TK).

Steve.

You know I can hurt you, right? :)
:bat:
Not from there you can't, and by the time the next "megga-meet" arrives, you would have forgotten all about it :p

Not from there you can't, and by the time the next "megga-meet" arrives, you would have forgotten all about it :p

Oh naive boy.....lol

have to admit, I didn't think even YOU were that stupid Chris!! :LOL:

Car stickers....euugghhhh.... still, I guess they tell us that the driver is even more likely to be a bumbling incompetent due to added distraction levels. ;)

Steve.

I saw one recently that said POLO horses, gues thats a cut above normal horses :)

I saw one recently that said POLO horses, gues thats a cut above normal horses :)
Or there is a hole through the middle?

I don't get it, why exactly are the car owners "stupid"?

If we're going to be judgemental then at least criticise them on the make or model of car. Or even the driving style with potential kids on board.

I don't get it, why exactly are the car owners "stupid"?

If we're going to be judgemental then at least criticise them on the make or model of car. Or even the driving style with potential kids on board.

Make and model? Seriously?
Oh boy.

Back