downgrading for travelling

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I currently own a 5d and some decent lenses. I'm going to study and travel in China next year so am thinking about what to do with my gear. I obviously want to take a camera, but feel the 5d might be too much for the following reasons:

It's worth a lot of money, so not something I want to lose or get stolen; requires an external flash (which is fine as I have one but can be inconvenient); pretty bulky for everyday snapping.

So i'm thinking of downgrading to a 30d with an UWA lens for scenic and landscape shots, and purchasing an LX3 for for general shooting out and about which I can take out on a daily basis. I'd be left over with a bit of cash too which is always useful

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation? Will I regret selling the 5d?

p.s. before anyone questions why a student would have a 5d, i'm a postgrad and took a couple of years out and worked as a photographer for a while :p

I think you will regret selling the 5D.

I am planning on going to India for 6months next year and I am going to take my 5D MKII & 2 – 3 lenses.

Just make sure everything is insured and stays in your daypack. Never leave stuff in hotel rooms and always carry your bag on your lap on buses and trains. I think the chances of getting mugged are minimal so as long as you always keep your bag on you it should be fine.

I recommend you check out the Lonely Planet forums for more info on keeping your stuff safe.

James

I think you will regret selling the 5D.

I am planning on going to India for 6months next year and I am going to take my 5D MKII & 2 – 3 lenses.

Just make sure everything is insured and stays in your daypack. Never leave stuff in hotel rooms and always carry your bag on your lap on buses and trains. I think the chances of getting mugged are minimal so as long as you always keep your bag on you it should be fine.

I recommend you check out the Lonely Planet forums for more info on keeping your stuff safe.

James

Thanks for the advice! I think you're right.. I just had a quick look at LX3 samples on flickr and I could never be happy with the quality. Do you know which insurance company you will use to cover your camera?

I just had a quick look at LX3 samples on flickr and I could never be happy with the quality.

How big are you going to print? In the right hands the LX cameras can produce really good quality files, as long as the ISO is not too high.

The real question is what is your priority? If it's the images then I'd suggest suffering the extra bulk and taking the best kit you can. If it's about the traveling, then get something that will go in your pocket and leave you free to roam, climb and trek without the added weight.

I just had a quick look at LX3 samples on flickr and I could never be happy with the quality.

Yeah, the LX3 sucks. :naughty:

If I were you, I'd take your 5D. It's full frame and a 24-105mm f:4 isn't too bulky. Travelling the world is too awe inspiring not to have the best possible chance of capturing the memories.

"I just had a quick look at LX3 samples on flickr and I could never be happy with the quality."

There are some amazingly good examples on the net, I think that you should look somewhere different to Flickr.

If you go for a 30D you're going to have to go for a lens in the region of 10-20mm for UWA, I have a Sigma 12-24mm and I'm very happy with it. If you haven't got something like that already the cost of the camera and lens will soon start to add up and I myself would probably start to question if I'd be saving anything, although you would be gaining a flash.

I've been around the world with pro gear there is no problem if you are sensible, in thirty years as a pro I had one thing stolen and that was from my studio!
One tip though always wrap the camera bag strap around your ankle when sitting at a table
Phillip

Yeah, the LX3 sucks. :naughty:

If I were you, I'd take your 5D. It's full frame and a 24-105mm f:4 isn't too bulky. Travelling the world is too awe inspiring not to have the best possible chance of capturing the memories.

Nice, I've always wanted to be misquoted. :LOL:

I've been lucky enough to take more that my fair share of shooting trips with everything from 5x4 downwards but I can safely say that my southwest tour with the LX2 was the most fun I've had on a trip ever.

I bought an LX3 for exactly that (travelling in India and China), but didnt sell my 5D. When I've taken both, I've barely used the 5D because the LX3 is so much lighter and doesnt provoke quite the same reaction from people. It also takes excellent photos, provided the light is OK.

If I was doing it now, I'd get a GF1 and a couple of lenses. That or a Leica... :)

I second that.

Just keep a good hold on your camera and get the insurance sorted out.

When I went to Morocco, as I was uncomfortable taking expensive gear (I wasn't worried about theft, but was conscious of the wealth gap, and taking street shots with it felt inappropriate to me) I took a little Nikon D60. Shots turned out great, and didn't attract attention.

I'm off to Cambodia next year and will be taking my 40D with me plus as least one L lens - I want to be able to take the shots that I want to! Busy researching insurance options now.

Travel cam of the moment has to be the GF1 / 20mm 1.7.

Small enough not to worry about carrying it all day and fantastic quality from the 20mm Lens.

With it having no OVF you also attract a lot less attention that if you were touting a DSLR which may be of use depending on the area you're are in

I know exactly what you mean as this is something I have pondered over for many an evening.

I am off to Tanzania to stay with a remote tribe for a few weeks next year, but I am going to bit the bullet and take all my gear + the lencarta safari lights as I dont want to miss a photo opportunity of a lifetime.

But, for my trip to Africa next week, I really would like to take a compact, but again, I am have decided to take the D700 in a slingshot and see how I get on.

I just think I would rather slightly inconvenience myself and get "that shot" that I may miss without the flexability of my DSLR

If you're choice is 5D and no compact or 30D and compact I'd take the latter (I have however never owned a FF camera).

Of course it depends on your intentions, the DSLR will get you the better quality. BUT I've often found, especially for a long trip like yours, a lot of the pictures you will look back on wth emotion will be taken with compact. It will be out with you times when the DSLR wouldn't, and if you don't have it you'd obviously not photograph anything.

For me photography is not all about image quality, but for capturing moments I might otherwise forget. I still look back on my 2MP pictres from my round the world trip in 2001, and TBH in small print they are not actually that bad.

Have a great trip!

Hi guys,

I currently own a 5d and some decent lenses. I'm going to study and travel in China next year so am thinking about what to do with my gear. I obviously want to take a camera, but feel the 5d might be too much for the following reasons:

It's worth a lot of money, so not something I want to lose or get stolen; requires an external flash (which is fine as I have one but can be inconvenient); pretty bulky for everyday snapping.

So i'm thinking of downgrading to a 30d with an UWA lens for scenic and landscape shots, and purchasing an LX3 for for general shooting out and about which I can take out on a daily basis. I'd be left over with a bit of cash too which is always useful

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation? Will I regret selling the 5d?

p.s. before anyone questions why a student would have a 5d, i'm a postgrad and took a couple of years out and worked as a photographer for a while :p

i'd say keep the 5d....first off, in real terms theres no real world difference in size between them. secondly, you could always make your camera look like an ugly piece of junk if you're worried about it looking too 'bling'. ugly masking tape...bit of tip ex on the top of the prism to make it look dropped etc.

majority of people won't tell the difference between the 5d and a 500d.

edit: like the avatar paleblue...love the film!

I went to India last year and took a 5d and a G10. and used both equally. I used the G10 for mainly street and people and the 5d for landscape and nature. I would definatley say take the 5d, and if you can a decent compact as well

thanks for the replies everyone, really good to hear your opinions.

I have some time to ponder it, but am leaning with those who recommend taking the 5d, purely because I believe it's a workhorse and won't let me down, and the sensor is too good in low light situations. I guess what I can do is sell one of my lenses that would not be beneficial for the trip (macro) and get a compact and have the best of both worlds.

Anyway I should try not to forget that it's not the gear that makes a great photograph.
Thanks again, and best of luck to those who have trips planned!

Back