Downloading problem....

Edit My Images
Yes
Went to a job at the weekend to take photos at a works formal party, checked everything before leaving and my 40D wouldn't download anything... strange i thought but then noticed that batteries were low so thought that must be the reason.
Went off to the job and thought nothing more of it. Then as I went to download the images for punters to buy, nothing, put my card into my GF's backup camera a 400D, still nothing... the screen on both flashes 'busy' 5-6 times then goes off (instead of staying on and starting up canons dowloader) thing is the camera doesn't even come up on the 'my computer' as a drive to select and download from.

Now the thing is i MAY have deleted something to do with canon from the 'uninstall' function from control pannel, thing is i dont know what it was or even find out from canon, has anyone had this before? if so does anyone know what I've done and how/or what piece of software i need to get it back up and running??

(I'd like to point out that i've lost my orig disk for installing the software so downloading is now my only option) :thumbsdown:

Please help...

id think the first thing to do is use a card reader to check the contents of the card and backup the data.
Second, fresh format (in carmera) the card and take a couple of random test shots, then try downloading again.[this is assuming you got the data off the card or have a spare]
third visit here

Try downloading using a card-reader rather than doing it directly from the camera. This is a common issue with the Canon software / camera and a card reader (in my experience) is the easiest way to get round the problem.

You can still download via the card-reader to Canon DPP but it gets over the 'camera not recognised' problem.

The contents of the card are still there, the camera says they are (both the 40, and 400) and i dont want to spen money on something I dont need. sorry.
Is there any other way?

I would say always use a card reader it is powered by your pc. If you download from your camera and your battery goes flat then you could lose the photos.

I don't think anything you deleted from your "canon" folder will effect whether the card shows My Computer, it should still be there as removable storage or disk or something.
Get it "seen" by the PC before you faff with what you may or may not have uninstalled..

id think the first thing to do is use a card reader to check the contents of the card and backup the data.
Second, fresh format (in carmera) the card and take a couple of random test shots, then try downloading again.[this is assuming you got the data off the card or have a spare]
third visit here

a card reader is the answer

i am just offloading my pics from my olympus
the software says...do you want to open
NO!
i will use the card reader to transfer to a hard drive folder..then use the software
good luck with that and remember the recovery stuff is free and works fine

I don't think anything you deleted from your "canon" folder will effect whether the card shows My Computer, it should still be there as removable storage or disk or something.
Get it "seen" by the PC before you faff with what you may or may not have uninstalled..

It will only show as a removable drive if you put it into a card reader, won't it?
If the card is in the camera it will show as 'scanner or camera' or 'other device' That's what comes up on my laptop/pc.
Seriously, a card reader is only about a fiver and reads most if not all cards, so well worth getting one for convenience alone!

I have had similar problems with both canon and other software. Software can get corrupted easily when other programs are updated, added or removed from your computer. Updates go on all the time in the background and my guess is one of the updates has affected your canon software. I would suggest you use the add/remove function to remove all the canon software completely and then reload it. You can download the latest version from the canon website. Just start afresh and it should be okay.

I have had similar problems with both canon and other software. Software can get corrupted easily when other programs are updated, added or removed from your computer. Updates go on all the time in the background and my guess is one of the updates has affected your canon software. I would suggest you use the add/remove function to remove all the canon software completely and then reload it. You can download the latest version from the canon website. Just start afresh and it should be okay.

i also have had trouble with adobe ps 2 and the video editing suites
massive crashes on video editing
solution is just as said
uninstall and reinstall...works a treat and the response time is faster
i think they really get corrupted easily with other progs running
its good to have the original discs..:cautious:

It will only show as a removable drive if you put it into a card reader, won't it?
If the card is in the camera it will show as 'scanner or camera' or 'other device' That's what comes up on my laptop/pc.
Seriously, a card reader is only about a fiver and reads most if not all cards, so well worth getting one for convenience alone!

Depends whether you open it with some daft software you don't need or not.
Windows will recognise the card whether its in a card reader or the camera, as storage device of some type or other.
If it can't see it, there's something wrong with the card, camera or both, the same thing could be said if the card was in a reader.
Personally, I don't use card readers, I never ever ever take the card out of the camera, but peeps seem pretty happy pulling cards in and out of slots every 5 minutes wearing contacts down, breaking pins, loosing cards and asking for trouble generally.
Transfer is slower from cam to PC but....I dunno....what's the rush...:)

Joxby thats why i dont use one, i dont want to damage card by taking them in and out in and out... anyways... I think a clean install is the best bet, but which bit of software do I download from Canon, or do i just download everything for the 40D??

chacun a son gout

card readers let you install data from a card without the camera...ie someone elses data given to you
i have used card reader..'s..mine does 17 sizes as recommended from a pro
if you are worried about doing some damage....???
you need to watch your lenses old chum..they are just as fragile and you may click them off a bit risque at times

i know my place

Depends whether you open it with some daft software you don't need or not.
Windows will recognise the card whether its in a card reader or the camera, as storage device of some type or other.
If it can't see it, there's something wrong with the card, camera or both, the same thing could be said if the card was in a reader.
Personally, I don't use card readers, I never ever ever take the card out of the camera, but peeps seem pretty happy pulling cards in and out of slots every 5 minutes wearing contacts down, breaking pins, loosing cards and asking for trouble generally.

So what do you do if you're at a function and have taken loads of pics, the card is full and you still have shots to take?

You need a card reader, just to echo what others have already said. It accesses the card as a mass storage device and will not fall foul of power failure or suspect Canon (or any other make of camera) software failures. An essential investment for £13 if you get the Jessops multi reader.

You need a card reader, just to echo what others have already said. It accesses the card as a mass storage device and will not fall foul of power failure or suspect Canon (or any other make of camera) software failures. An essential investment for £13 if you get the Jessops multi reader.

out of the mouths of babes...:LOL:

So what do you do if you're at a function and have taken loads of pics, the card is full and you still have shots to take?

I must admit I have often thought of this, I am getting more and more 'gigs' now so i think it may well have to be bought! Anyone recommend any?

Still gonna try the uninstall method though... :razz: :LOL:

If you fill the card you have to swap by necessity, that is unavoidable, card readers aren't.
You can re-install all the Canon bumff if you want, but you don't need any software to access the card.

I must admit I have often thought of this, I am getting more and more 'gigs' now so i think it may well have to be bought! Anyone recommend any?

You can try the un-install/install method if you like but be aware that the software available on Canon's website are updates and require the original software that came with the camera to installed before it can be used.

Like I said, for about a fiver!! LINKY

Ive got a Dane-Elec, worked perfectly for almost a year.

You can try the un-install/install method if you like but be aware that the software available on Canon's website are updates and require the original software that came with the camera to installed before it can be used.

I think you will find it is the full software that is available on their website. A friend of mine said he had downloaded it and had no canon software on his computer.

I think you will find it is the full software that is available on their website. A friend of mine said he had downloaded it and had no canon software on his computer.

It is the full program and it will down load but it won't install (or run obviously) unless the original software keys are present in the computer's registry. Many have fallen into this trap. There are ways around it apparently that involves manually making entries in the computers registry which kids the Canon site into believing the original software is either present or has been present, but I have no idea what data should be entered into the registry or where or indeed how successful there are.

It is the full program and it will down load but it won't install (or run obviously) unless the original software keys are present in the computer's registry. Many have fallen into this trap. There are ways around it apparently that involves manually making entries in the computers registry which kids the Canon site into believing the original software is either present or has been present, but I have no idea what data should be entered into the registry or where or indeed how successful there are.

In that case it is worth just downloading it and see if it will re install any lost files or registry entries.

Joxby thats why i dont use one, i dont want to damage card by taking them in and out in and out... anyways... I think a clean install is the best bet, but which bit of software do I download from Canon, or do i just download everything for the 40D??

USB contacts can also wear out and/or be damaged. I suppose that at some point, wireless data transfer between devices will be the norm but until then, I'll carry on using a card reader and being careful with inserting and removing my cards.

What about naming the files though?? you have to name each one using the reader method, (i assume) whereas if you have software and in-camera you can name as you download. (im only guessing though as i've never used a reader before)

What about naming the files though?? you have to name each one using the reader method, (i assume) whereas if you have software and in-camera you can name as you download. (im only guessing though as i've never used a reader before)

The files are numbered in the camera, so you don't have to rename the. Have you tried downloading the latest software and updating yours. It will update straight from the download.

WOW. what size card do you have in your camera? I have to change my 16Gb cards frequently during a rugby festival. Never had an issue.
Don't you worry you'll break the mini usb plug on the camera, or do you leave the lead in all the time?

USB contacts can also wear out and/or be damaged. I suppose that at some point, wireless data transfer between devices will be the norm but until then, I'll carry on using a card reader and being careful with inserting and removing my cards.

do you always reformat your cards...and avoid touching the gold contacts

with the price of them now it makes sense to have some spares

this is big enough for me..

WOW. what size card do you have in your camera? I have to change my 16Gb cards frequently during a rugby festival. Never had an issue.
Don't you worry you'll break the mini usb plug on the camera, or do you leave the lead in all the time?

I don't shoot rugby.
Yes I have a 15 mile usb extension, it has dual use, whilst I'm shooting the city of Leeds can hang out its washing.
If you're happy doing it, good luck, its a free country.

Back