Downsizing kit for wildlife suggestions

Edit My Images
No
As per the title, I don't get the opportunity to get out as much to photography now due to work commitments so most of the photography I'll be doing is going to be abroad on holidays (Kenya, Canada, South America etc)
Most of these places have weight limits on internal flights so I'm looking to downsize my kit (D800 with Sigma 120-300 + 1.4x tele)

I was looking at either

1) Sony RX10 iii - used
2) Panasonic FZ2000
3) The new Nikon P1000

I know the image quality is going to take a massive hit, but it's best to have a camera that will get used rather than one that will sit gathering dust due to it's size.
As the title says, mainly wildlife photography hence the superzooms.

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers Lee

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers Lee

I don't want to put you off too much but one thing that goes through my mind with expensive fixed lens cameras is that if you get contamination on the sensor you probably wont be able to do anything about it yourself. This may be an irrational fear as these cameras may be less likely to get sensor contamination but then again long zooms could act like pumps and make it more likely....

How about something like a Panasonic GX80 and a 100-400mm? That'd avoid my little hang up.

Just a thought :D

I have recently gone through the same problem but due to advancing years , I took the plunge going with a Panasonic g80 coupled with the Leica 100-400 with its 2X crop factor it gives a effective 800mm focal length ,and while it’s taken time to gel with it due to complex menus it’s now producing good shots consistently ,the bonus being the all up weight is sub 1.5 kg or less than a bag of sugar .the Panasonic and Olympus systems share the same mounts and are interchangeable ,plenty of body and lens options to suit your needs to . There are threads for both with sample images on here

I'd go M43 rather than bridge any day.

I came from Canon FF to Olympus and I'm very happy with the output.

It'll even do a bit of astro if you clean up the noise in post.

Olympus OMD EM-1 Mk2 + 40-150 + 1.4TC if budget allows. That would give you effectively 420mm at the long end.

I got mine from HDEW, great prices and a 3yr warranty on body.

I just switched back to Fuji but for wildlife the Oly is much better, small, very comfortable and very light. Personally I wouldn't bother with any of your 3 suggestions as you will more than likely be very disappointed with the IQ.

P3070039 by ImageMaker, on Flickr

As per the title, I don't get the opportunity to get out as much to photography now due to work commitments so most of the photography I'll be doing is going to be abroad on holidays (Kenya, Canada, South America etc)
Most of these places have weight limits on internal flights so I'm looking to downsize my kit (D800 with Sigma 120-300 + 1.4x tele)

I was looking at either

1) Sony RX10 iii - used
2) Panasonic FZ2000
3) The new Nikon P1000

I know the image quality is going to take a massive hit, but it's best to have a camera that will get used rather than one that will sit gathering dust due to it's size.
As the title says, mainly wildlife photography hence the superzooms.

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers Lee

I second the RX10 M3; Very happy with mine, quality is brilliant - notable when I zoom in to around 200% on my Mac; Still bags of detail. Fast and compact.

M4/3 :)

I went googling for user reviews ref Oly 4/3 and found this http://www.tesniward.co.uk/olympus-omd-em1-mkii-review-wildlife/

As per others comments kit weight and advancing years do feel like they are affecting my photographic mojo..............though as the above user review points out he found some changes to approach & type(s) of subject gave him superb images. With his mention of C-AF being very good compared to Canon AI Servo, how are you guys finding the Oly for BiF & other rapidly moving wildlife and if you also go to airshows and/or Motorsports what about the continuous AF with those subjects???

This subject is food for thought as I was giving serious consideration to getting the Canon 5D4........but maybe I should look at going "two systems" i.e. Oly and Canon as my 5D3 combined with my 24-105mm is my walkabout kit for scenics, cities, indoors low light......and would keep the MK3 even if I got the mk4, I would keep the 100-400mm on the MK4 for benefit of improvement in AF and cleaner croppable wildlife ~ but if the Oly can reward great imagery printable to say at least A3..........agh!

Edit
Looking at prices it is possible to get a two lens kit for under (just) the price of the Canon 5D4 body
https://www.parkcameras.com/p/40109...=AWIN&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=24658

:thinking: :woot::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::help:

Last edited:
I went googling for user reviews ref Oly 4/3 and found this http://www.tesniward.co.uk/olympus-omd-em1-mkii-review-wildlife/

As per others comments kit weight and advancing years do feel like they are affecting my photographic mojo..............though as the above user review points out he found some changes to approach & type(s) of subject gave him superb images. With his mention of C-AF being very good compared to Canon AI Servo, how are you guys finding the Oly for BiF & other rapidly moving wildlife and if you also go to airshows and/or Motorsports what about the continuous AF with those subjects???

This subject is food for thought as I was giving serious consideration to getting the Canon 5D4........but maybe I should look at going "two systems" i.e. Oly and Canon as my 5D3 combined with my 24-105mm is my walkabout kit for scenics, cities, indoors low light......and would keep the MK3 even if I got the mk4, I would keep the 100-400mm on the MK4 for benefit of improvement in AF and cleaner croppable wildlife ~ but if the Oly can reward great imagery printable to say at least A3..........agh!

Edit
Looking at prices it is possible to get a two lens kit for under (just) the price of the Canon 5D4 body
https://www.parkcameras.com/p/40109...=AWIN&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=24658

C-AF and tracking is fantastic on the EM-1 Mk2, keep the Canon for low light.

Edit

panasonic g80 /leica 100-400 hand held
one good tern by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
going up by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

yes its a little more difficult than a dslr ,the menus systems are more complicated but the weight advantage outweighs any problems ,the kit I use as above weighs in at 1.5 kg all up ,that lens also does ultra close ups at the flick of a switch. pop in a shop and try one

Last edited:
I would always say crop sensor DSLR or mirrorless and as few and smaller/lighter lenses you feel you can get away with, but depending on when your trips are, I would wait to see some reviews of the Nikon P1000, because nothing is going to get you the range that thing has. 24mm - 3000mm and Macro 1cm. :eek:

If it has good enough AF and sensor quality (DR and high ISO) performance for you then nothing is going to come close for the range, size and weight. Look at this video, if that is the range of the thing, then OMG. :eek: :LOL:

I should add that coming from a D800 this may not have the quality you may be used to, but like I said, wait for some reviews if you can. ;)

Last edited:
The Sony A6300 + FE70-300 makes a great combo.
The A6500 is more expensive and the only real advantage is the touch screen focus as the 70-300 already has OIS.

OK, so I've been out and about checking some different cameras.

I appreciate the comments about the quality of the bridge cameras.
All of them that I tested and took some pictures with were way down on what I expected the quality to be.
I was impressed with the images taken with the G80 and 100-400 combo and I think I'm heading down that road.
The lightness of the camera and lens is exactly what I was looking for.

I was going to wait for the Nikon P1000 and give that a try due to it shooting RAW, but I don't think the picture quality will be good enough from the small sensor.

Just to confirm, this is the right combo that a few of you are recommending?

https://www.jessops.com/p/panasonic...less-camera-in-black-with-12-60mm-lens-101482

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/panas...mar-100-400mm-f4-63-asph-power-ois-7922-p.asp

Cheers Lee

Personally I like the mini RF style MFT cameras like the GX80 and GX9 rather than the mini SLR style ones like the G80 as the RF style ones are smaller but you may well prefer the handling of the slightly larger mini SLR style cameras.

PS.
One thing in favour of the Panasonic SLR style cameras is that they have a much better EVF than the field sequential one on the RF style GX80 and GX9.

Last edited:
Seen some great wildlife/bird photos taken with M4/3 kit plus I loved the Oly when I had it so another vote for M4/3rds here

Change the D800 for a D850 for its crop abilities amongst others or the D750 for its iso. Then get a Nikon 200-500 as its lighter than the 120-300 and is easily handholdable.
What I thought go from full frame to crop
I use Canon crop and I've had no problems with internal flights or traveling generally
Image quality from my Canon crop cameras is excellent and Nikon crop will be too

Last edited:
What I thought go from full frame to crop
I use Canon crop and I've had no problems with internal flights or traveling generally
Image quality from my Canon crop cameras is excellent and Nikon crop will be too

Nothing to do with a crop frame camera. The megapixels from the D850 allows you you crop heavily in post priduction and still retain more detail than most other cameras.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with a crop frame camera. The megapixels from the D850 allows you you crop heavily in post priduction abd still rerain more detail than most other cameras.
Oh didn't realise I thought you meant a crop factor camera as the OP is looking to save weight

Nothing to do with a crop frame camera. The megapixels from the D850 allows you you crop heavily in post priduction and still retain more detail than most other cameras.

That was my thinking when I originally bought the D800, allow me to crop massively because I couldn't afford 600mm F4 lenses.

Back