DP connected monitor and speakers/soundbar choices?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I am about to click to buy the SW270C monitor, a bit of squeeze to organise on my desk..........but enticed by the real estate (compared to the smaller SW240) it will give and the image quality for editing :)

I currently use an old pair of Creative brand mains powered speakers plugged in the motherboard sound port.

I will initially carry on using the above speakers but:-
As there is a headphone(speaker?) port on the monitor and audio related settings that are currently greyed out in the nVidia Control Panel, will these mains powered speakers 'work' the same as if plugged into the current motherboard port?

In due course (maybe sooner rather than later) I am considering getting a USB powered Soundbar to replace the speakers ~ the advantage being tidier wiring arrangement under/around the monitor and will free up some more(?) desk space :)

Now, my audio needs are not of HiFi quality but I like to have reasonable audio to listen to. Typical for me ~ would be youtube videos, maybe iPlayer on the PC.......and some music.

Budget around £50 or under....is that a suitable sum for a good Soundbar???

TIA for any user experience and buying suggestions to consider :)

I've got a dell soundbar coming tomorrow (similar reasons), so will let you know how it actually compares to my old creative speakers. £57 on amazon, but £28 from the dell site. Figured I'd give it a go ;)

I've got a dell soundbar coming tomorrow (similar reasons), so will let you know how it actually compares to my old creative speakers. £57 on amazon, but £28 from the dell site. Figured I'd give it a go ;)

Thanks for the reply :

I think I found the one you mention based on the pricing ;)

I note it is designed when used with a Dell monitor that it clips(?) onto the stand..................so on the surmise that your not using a Dell I also look forward to your feedback as to what monitor you are using it with and whether it attaches to the stand or not?

TIA :)

FWIW my HDMI connected monitor both installed itself and set HDMI as the Windows 10 primary audio source, muting my speakers connected through the 3.5mm socket on the motherboard.
I just switched them back by clicking on the taskbar speaker icon. I don't think you can have both enabled.
I would expect a USB connected audio device will just appear in the same way and be agnostic about how that device is actually connected, through the monitors or direct to the motherboard.

Thanks for the reply :

I think I found the one you mention based on the pricing ;)

I note it is designed when used with a Dell monitor that it clips(?) onto the stand..................so on the surmise that your not using a Dell I also look forward to your feedback as to what monitor you are using it with and whether it attaches to the stand or not?

TIA :)

I do have a dell monitor, but from the bits i`ve read, a lot of people don`t ust the stand mount anyway. Which from looking, is just a clamp anyway, and the spaeker clips into that. But may well fit other stands. I`ll pop up a couple of pix when it arives.
It is this one https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-stereo-soundbar-ac511m/apd/520-aany/pc-accessories

I do have a dell monitor, but from the bits i`ve read, a lot of people don`t ust the stand mount anyway. Which from looking, is just a clamp anyway, and the spaeker clips into that. But may well fit other stands. I`ll pop up a couple of pix when it arives.
It is this one https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-stereo-soundbar-ac511m/apd/520-aany/pc-accessories
Thanks, I look forward to your review :)

PS my SW270C arrived a few hours ago.

All set up and connected via the DP cable.

Re: audio ~ I have looked in the nVidia settings and the monitor as an audio connection is there..........................one test would be to plug the old Creatives in and see how they perform???

Initial impression on the monitor:-
Lovely well made bit of kit including the hood :)
It comes hardware calibrated but when I calibrated the old Dell 2209WA I set the brightness to achieve a known 90cd/m2 (I do my editing at night in a subdued light) Therefore as is stands I have no idea how bright the screen is in measured terms. So will do a calibration tonight and see what it looks like once set or confirmed its actual cd/m2 figure.

I have checked it out using the screen checker here https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/ and cannot see any evidence of hot or dead pixels :D I will be sure to check it again once the the monitor has been on for a few more hours.

@Paulie-W

A PS to the above?

As I read the specs, it does not come with a linking USB cable or a (short) audio link cable (with MIni Jack plugs)???

USB cables are rarely a problem but what about the "jack to jack" lead???

@Paulie-W

A PS to the above?

As I read the specs, it does not come with a linking USB cable or a (short) audio link cable (with MIni Jack plugs)???

USB cables are rarely a problem but what about the "jack to jack" lead???

I`ll actually be interested to see just what leads do come with it. Some say they got a long one, some say short. Again, I`ll let you know.
If you let me know how wide your stand is, I sould be able to work out if it will fit :)

@Box Brownie

Well it`s small, very small. I was a little wary about how it would sound, but to be honest, I`m rather impressed. No it`s not HiFi, but sounds just as good as my old creative speakers. And for you toob, itunes etc it`s fine for me.
My desk does indeed look tidy, and that was one of my main thoughts on getting a bar.

Connection wise, mine came with a long usb cable, so plugged directly into my desktop (monitor has no sound). Rotating volume on the RHS, and on the LHS there is line in, and headphone jacks.

The fixing clamp is spring loaded on one side, and fits my support snugly. My vertical is 8cms.
For the price, I`m happy (y)

Dell soundbar 1.jpgDell soundbar 2.jpgDell soundbar 3.jpg

Last edited:
@Box Brownie

Well it`s small, very small. I was a little wary about how it would sound, but to be honest, I`m rather impressed. No it`s not HiFi, but sounds just as good as my old creative speakers. And for you toob, itunes etc it`s fine for me.
My desk does indeed look tidy, and that was one of my main thoughts on getting a bar.

Connection wise, mine came with a long usb cable, so plugged directly into my desktop (monitor has no sound). Rotating volume on the RHS, and on the LHS there is line in, and headphone jacks.

The fixing clamp is spring loaded on one side, and fits my support snugly. My vertical is 8cms.
For the price, I`m happy (y)

View attachment 287533View attachment 287534View attachment 287535

@Paulie-W

Hi Paul

Sorry I missed your update.................TP not for the first time did not 'notify me' :thinking:

Your review is very welcome :)

Size wise I did measure the stand column:-
9.8cm wide
1.3cm thick/deep

Would the spring loaded clamp reach round that? Plus, once fitted how far out/forward does it 'sit'.

As for leads, because my BenQ when connected via the DP cable does carry audio to the built in headphones/speaker jack, I asked BenQ whether the audio output would also be 'carried' by the USB ports. They replied that if the speakers are USB type I should get audio via that cable...............so may be a suck it and see. If not via USB then I can only surmise that a jack to jack plugged in the soundbar "Audio-in" will do the job?

Subject to your insight/feedback about the spring loaded clamp fitting round my stand, it might be worth a punt??? :D

TIA for an update :)

@Paulie-W

Hi Paul

Sorry I missed your update.................TP not for the first time did not 'notify me' :thinking:

Your review is very welcome :)

Size wise I did measure the stand column:-
9.8cm wide
1.3cm thick/deep

Would the spring loaded clamp reach round that? Plus, once fitted how far out/forward does it 'sit'.

As for leads, because my BenQ when connected via the DP cable does carry audio to the built in headphones/speaker jack, I asked BenQ whether the audio output would also be 'carried' by the USB ports. They replied that if the speakers are USB type I should get audio via that cable...............so may be a suck it and see. If not via USB then I can only surmise that a jack to jack plugged in the soundbar "Audio-in" will do the job?

Subject to your insight/feedback about the spring loaded clamp fitting round my stand, it might be worth a punt??? :D

TIA for an update :)

No worries, mate.

Unfortunately I think you upright is a little too wide, as on mine, it just squeezes on. Unless you're good at customising parts...

It actually kinda sits behind the monitor, which is nice. You can hardly know its there.

No worries, mate.

Unfortunately I think you upright is a little too wide, as on mine, it just squeezes on. Unless you're good at customising parts...

It actually kinda sits behind the monitor, which is nice. You can hardly know its there.
Ah!

Another request for a measurement please.

What is the width and also the width of the sculpted out back. I am thinking it might sit on the stand baseplate....is the soundbar flat on its bottom, as I could put a couple of footpads on it?

I did find on the Dell site another model designed for a specific model that is slightly more money...does not fit using a bracket.

PS re: connection ~ my old Dell 2209WA had USB ports but not an audio capable connection, so I wonder if your monitor might be capable of feeding audio to the soundbar?

PS re: connection ~ my old Dell 2209WA had USB ports but not an audio capable connection, so I wonder if your monitor might be capable of feeding audio to the soundbar?
I think if the connection from the computer is via DisplayPort/HDMI type digital system, then audio is carried as well as video. My Dell U2415 has an audio out jack, which I only discovered yesterday (I've had this monitor for a couple of years at least, now) :oops: :$:LOL: . This appears to be a Line Level output, as there are no volume controls anywhere. I have now plugged the HK Soundsticks (V1!!) into that, and can either use the in-app volume control or the controls on the speakers. This means I can also have my headphones plugged into my Mac now (they are BT, but that's a faff and uses power). I am so happy.

As for 'soundbars'; we did have a Sonos Beam thing for a while. It was ok at best. Lots of electronic tricks to make things sound reasonable, from tiny speakers. It was simply to improve the truly awful built in TV speakers. For an experiment, I plugged in some little Castle Richmond speakers via an ancient B+O Beomaster 3500 'reciever', and the difference in sound quality is night and day; so, so much better with the proper speakers. The Beam went on EBAy for not much less than we paid for it, so I was pleased with that.

I would never use a 'soundbar' for TV again. Compared to a proper speaker system, they are crap. For what some of these soundbar things cost, you can get a very nice little hi-fi set up, and something really tasty if you buy s/h. I care enough about sound quality to want proper speakers, I'm happy to have summat a bit more 'bulky'. I've heard quite a few Sonos products now, and imo they are one of the biggest rip-offs going. Really mediocre products, at premium prices. I bought two Apple HomePod speakers on EBay for a steal; both almost brand new, one hadn't even been taken out of the packaging. Blows anything else of that size out of the water. I'd buy them at full price. Wees all over anything Sonos make.

Last edited:
Ah!

Another request for a measurement please.

What is the width and also the width of the sculpted out back. I am thinking it might sit on the stand baseplate....is the soundbar flat on its bottom, as I could put a couple of footpads on it?

I did find on the Dell site another model designed for a specific model that is slightly more money...does not fit using a bracket.

I have found audio out, but it`s not usb, so no worries. It works as is ;)

As for measurements, I hope this helps ... The bas is flat, so you could easilly put foot pads on it (y) Gimmie a shout if you need anything else.

measurements.jpg

Back