DPOTY 2023 - Chat Thread

I really want to put something in this month but my imagination is failing me - I didn't particularly want to do macro although I do have suitable kit, I fancied a different approach, if I can just think of one!

I really want to put something in this month but my imagination is failing me - I didn't particularly want to do macro although I do have suitable kit, I fancied a different approach, if I can just think of one!

You could try a composite.

May be play with perspective, doesn't need to be macro?

Or maybe use my Pentax Q camera - it has a rather small sensor?

I've added to the tiny mushrooms.

Entry in for Small. Took a picture of some tiny air bubbles being lit with a laser that I moved about, then in post, I cropped in then flipped the whole thing upside down.

Last edited:
OK, this month sees 'Small', so why not 'Big' for a month next year?
I like your thinking. I shall keep that in mind.

agreed - but not unusual, I reckon

Slightly cheeky, a professional entry from me.

I've been doing some work for a couple of companies developing inhibitors for C Difficile toxin, and developed a test in-house using Vero kidney cells that are susceptible to the toxin. The photomicrograph I've posted shows cells that have been poisoned with toxin around the LD90 (lethal dose 90% - about 90% of the cells should be killed) with false-colour to make the difference between dead and live cells obvious. Magnification around 200X in the microscope, though obviously much more seen here.

My entry is in. It's named 'A drop of oil' but it's honey actually. When I used oil it dripped off of the needle to quickly for me to take a shot! The honey is nice and clingy.

Entry in! Last few months have been really last minute captured shots! But they all have been taken especially for the competition in the month submitted I think!

Aside form the FPOTY obviously, got to think ahead a bit with that one.

Well done @Peter123 just sneaking ahead to win November with your Honeybee's full frontal. Excellent. Results table will follow.

Here's the league table for 2023. It's really close at the top with the top spot still open to at least five entrants, with several others who could steal it with a blow-them-away shot. However we have a new leader Alby @ajophotog who's had a good month, winning the New Old Digital as well!
Congratulations also to new entrant @Hawthorn with a very good submission, and to the stalwarts who keep going regardless of the points - that is exactly what we are doing this for, not to win but to take photos!

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 13.38.43.png

I picked a few back up options from earlier in the year in case I do not find a shed in the coming weeks...

indeed, shoehorns and crowbars...

Our gothic summerhouse/shed during the day. I might point out that after sharing the [entered] picture with my son, he was struggling to believe it was not AI generated; I can assure everyone that it is not and is indeed my actual garden shed/summerhouse measuring 2.4m x 2.4m. The backdrop is a £13 cloth my wife bought from Temu.. I mean what AI art system would put in a small plastic box of Gravy Bones by the sofa? :)

Gothic Shed Small by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Our gothic summerhouse/shed during the day. I might point out that after sharing the [entered] picture with my son, he was struggling to believe it was not AI generated; I can assure everyone that it is not and is indeed my actual garden shed/summerhouse measuring 2.4m x 2.4m. The backdrop is a £13 cloth my wife bought from Temu.. I mean what AI art system would put in a small plastic box of Gravy Bones by the sofa? :)

Gothic Shed Small by Martin Baxter, on Flickr
Is the wired up window to keep the cats out Martin?

Back