DPOTY 2023 - Chat Thread

You can only give one vote to any particular entry in a poll on this forum. Back in the earlier days of FPOTY it was made clear that admins could see who voted for each entry and voting for yourself was not considered acceptable. This has not been mentioned for quite a while. At one time if you got no votes and points were given according to position you got no points at all,
Ouch! Hope you get it sorted mate!

Thanks for pointing this out David. Quite correct, voting for oneself would be noticed and appropriate action taken. Just not the done thing, old boy

Maybe a -50 point penalty :ROFLMAO:

Not that anyone would vote for themselves anyway.

Well, I'd like to think no-one would do that!
Oops, I've done that. Didn't realise you weren't allowed to. Won't do it again now I know. Sorry. :oops: :$

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I'll add it to the Rules thread.

Should the submission be purely the picture and nothing else, or is there scope for a short narrative to explain any ambiguities in the image?

@ShinySideUp The image should stand alone on its merits really, but as it's not a competition as such, if you feel a short narrative is necessary, it won't be deleted. However you should keep it as brief as possible, no more than one sentence really.

Anyone got their submission ready yet as tomorrow's the start? I haven't.

I had one then thought wasnt good enough - didnt fit the theme

I’ve got one in the bank, but I am open to offers ;)

Got a couple to look at in camera but they might look like rubbish on the big screen.

I am going to join in with this. Will be my first time participating in DPOTY

@Adamcski you can participate in as many of the challenges as you can manage, so yes in digital the 52 and DPOTY are fine in parallel. You have until the end of January to post an image on this month's "Decay" theme, but you can also be shooting for the themes of future months anytime since Dec 1st last year, to submit in the appropriate month.

I am going to have a go and just added an image for January :)

I am not expecting to win (would be great if I did) but this is additional practice for me and gets me out and thinking. I have actually added all the info on this and the 52 to keep note on my phone so I can reference things when I am out and about. I don't get too much time with the camera so if I can get images to fit themes at the same time it may help :)

Last edited:
Lots of sheds coming in for decay, see December's theme :)

I have two pictures for this month's theme and I don't know which to enter. I have one showing actual decay (both literal and metaphoric), but I have a nice picture of some fungus -- which is also decaying, on decayed stuff; problems, problems.

Still time to find something better before I commit.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see quite a few participants, that's great!
I am not expecting to win ...
It's not really about winning - someone's image will get the most votes from people, and thus points going forward, but to win is to participate. It's a Challenge not a Competition. Same as the FPOTY and 52.

Where I want to photograph is currently inaccessible due to flooding.
Fingers crossed for some nice clear cold days, bit of frost on the trees might enhance the look

I need to get cracking on my own submission for this! Trouble is, although I think it's a bit s**t round here, I can't think of anything obviously "decayed" (except maybe some of the people.....)

Braved the flood water and ice to (sort of) get the photo I wanted.
My preferred vantage point was inaccessible due to the river overflowing its banks.

A question on the February theme of Long Exposure, would a 1 second exposure count as long exposure of is that not long enough?

A question on the February theme of Long Exposure, would a 1 second exposure count as long exposure of is that not long enough?
What defines a long exposure Nicky, I would say it depends on what you are shooting1/125 shot of a fast flying swallow or a 30 sec exposure of a static wall :shrug: I think when people suggest long exposure I think they possibly mean subject showing movement. Well that's how I see it.

I was going to ask this question myself. But wasn't sure I was going to get a definitive answer.
I would go for a shutter speed that doesn't freeze the subject.

What defines a long exposure Nicky, I would say it depends on what you are shooting1/125 shot of a fast flying swallow or a 30 sec exposure of a static wall :shrug: I think when people suggest long exposure I think they possibly mean subject showing movement. Well that's how I see it.
Showing movement sounds like a plan.

I was going to ask this question myself. But wasn't sure I was going to get a definitive answer.
I would go for a shutter speed that doesn't freeze the subject.
I think of long exposures as something you can’t handhold. Just thought there might be a definite speed as it’s a competition.

Thanks for your responses. I’ll wait and see if the admins can provide any further clarification.

Showing movement sounds like a plan.

I think of long exposures as something you can’t handhold. Just thought there might be a definite speed as it’s a competition.

Thanks for your responses. I’ll wait and see if the admins can provide any further clarification.

I don't think the rules for the themes are too 'strict' :)

Personally I would say a 'long exposure' should show obvious/intentional blur or movement.

I don't think the rules for the themes are too 'strict' :)

Personally I would say a 'long exposure' should show obvious/intentional blur or movement.
I reckon anything longer than what would be considered a normal exposure is valid

Sorry, just to confirm my understanding. We can take pictures now that meet future themes, but need to post them in that themes month (by the end of that month). So I could shoot something now for February and just need to post it during February and prior to the end of February. Likewise I could shoot something now and save it for March, April, May and so on.

Sorry, just to confirm my understanding. We can take pictures now that meet future themes, but need to post them in that themes month (by the end of that month). So I could shoot something now for February and just need to post it during February and prior to the end of February. Likewise I could shoot something now and save it for March, April, May and so on.

Yes, exactly.

@Adamcski @n1kcy Sorry I've not been here to answer your questions.
As has been said, we try not to be too prescriptive in the rules. So a Long Exposure in my mind is a deliberate decision not to freeze movement - that may mean 1/30th for propellor blur on an aeroplane of course, but I think the spirit of the idea is an exposure of more than a couple of seconds - but each image has to stand on its merits so it should be fairly obvious that it has been taken with a long exposure without needing to look at the exif data.
Second point: it's NOT a competition, it's a challenge. Every entrant is a winner, but some will be more popular winners than others. Some may not even quite match the theme - known as Shoehorns.
Third point: yes you can shot to any theme in advance, but can only post the theme's image in the theme month after I've created a thread for it. So you can shoot all 12 themes in January and sit on them until the relevant month - or keep shooting to the themes until each one has had its month.

Last edited:
Back