Dr Frankenstein I presume?

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
So in the new toy thread I posted a pic of the pile of rust that arrived earlier this week, noting that the shutter assembly was pretty much dead and buried due to broken trigger pillars...

Capture17.JPG

Well, after a bit of messing about, here's one possible future scenario:

Capture19.JPG

I have to say that now the case is cleaned up a bit I am actually liking it the way it is right now with no more renovation to it at all. Especially when you click it open and see what's inside :D

Last edited:
Like opening an oyster and finding a pearl, like it.

If it were my Frankencamera I would have a look at camera leather and see if I could get some nice red snakeskin or somesuch to give it a touch of bling.

Andy

Last edited:
It's a bit like an old VW camper now though... but I do have some green black and red covering on the way :D

Very Nice Arthur, a worthy project indeed!

This is just a conjecture, I may end up with something completely different in there but for now it does the job.

Need to figure out how to get the Leica focusing/macro rig set up to let me check these lenses' focal lengths against each other... or else it's hit and miss with an old film.

So, do I keep it rough or tart it up? If I tart it up, below are the options...

PA010648.JPG

These arrived today as promised so if I do decide to make it pretty I can choose from one of the four. I already decided that if it gets done I will have a matt black all over case before the covering goes on so that the edges will not be shiny/rusty.

No, not telling :nono:

Last edited:
Make it green Arthur, very classy :D

Red would make it simultaneously loud as well as idiosyncratic. Stand out in the crowd, make it red!

Frankencam meets Scrapheap Challenge, there's something in that idea.. ..

But seriously, why no lizardskin swatches? Or how about a nice flock wallpaper?

Snake/lizard skin is sad, and it's not an Indian camera :D

But basically, I have to use it and be seen with it.

Strip and copper electroplate? - shame it's steel-bodied and not one of the brass-bodied tropical carbine models.

Ooohhh - very "steampunk"....

I know.. I've been looking out for an Ensign Tropical Carbine with the brass body and brass chain strap for a while.. ..

Hmm copper plating eh? Must look into that as it's dead simple to do istr :D

**edit no can do, seems to be plated already (nickel?) and I would need to get everything off first and polish it ... looks like it's plan "paint-it-black-all-over-then-decide-on-covering-later" will come into effect :naughty:

Last edited:
... and so the matt black goes on:

Capture23.JPG

Give that a couple days to harden while I decide on the covering. Looking like green atm but times and minds change!

Going to bake it to harden the paint?

Didn't realise I could - will have a look on the tin later today.

When I found that skip rescue haul of Polaroid gear earlier this year it included a Mamod, and that introduced me to shady forums full of serious men and their miniature steam engines. They all seem to bake harden paint on restorations, 150C for 15 minutes sort of thing. Depends on the paint.

When I found that skip rescue haul of Polaroid gear earlier this year it included a Mamod, and that introduced me to shady forums full of serious men and their miniature steam engines. They all seem to bake harden paint on restorations, 150C for 15 minutes sort of thing. Depends on the paint.

Oh how I lusted over the displays of Mamod steam engines in the window of the local model shop as a child, unfortunately at that time I didn't have the money and by the time I had the money I had discovered girls :LOL:

Matt black, leave it, a great choice, I cannot wait to see the finished article and of course the first roll of film, Arthur you are about the only one who can take a bag of bones:) and turn it into a wonderful working object, great that you are back, makes things more interesting.(y)

tried the red, not liking it tbh...

Capture24.JPG

~I am seriously considering black :wacky:

Last edited:
Not doing it for me either Arthur, try the green :D

I'm having probs getting a replacement lens/shutter assembly for this would you believe? I mean yes, I could put the Skopar in but that would leave the Vito II without one. I bought a couple of broken cameras to scavenge the assemblies but they were easily repaired so that can't be done either... dammit!

If you do plan to bake then be wary of fumes. I wouldn't dare use an oven for food after baking paint.

Back in the days before wife and child I used to build and sell guitar effects. I had a fleabay sourced mini cooker out in the yard for baking my enclosures. The kind of thing you used to find in bedsits.

Update - the red grew on me after I darkened it a little... watch this space :D

Capture-3.jpg

Capture-4.jpg

Currently has the original lens/shutter since I have had to decimate the collection on Ebay to pay for a new engine for the Celica :(

Still have a couple of cameras I can use for the Agfa thing though (y)

Last edited:
Looking good Arthur, will you be firing it up with some film soon?

Not with this lens/shutter no... I was thinking of taking the combo out of the Piccolette but that's just a dream I think, too much hassle and I think the speeds are still off anyway. I'll find something soon to put in it but trouble is every time I have found a donor knackered camera so far I've been able to repair it making the lens untouchable!

Finally got around to finishing the covering - that and a bit of aging does for the outside refurbishing now so it's just a matter of waiting for a decent lens/shutter assembly to become available.

Capture-10-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:
I like the red. I think it will age really nicely too.

Sub'd this thread to see how it turns out :)

Am I getting this right.a Zeiss lens turns into a Voigtlander then back to a Zeiss again???

I tried the Skopar from a Vito II to see if it would focus (and it did) but the Vito was in too good a condition to pinch the assembly from so right now this camera has the original in. This has issues with the shutter though so will need to be changed if the camera is to be used, hence the non-existence of test shots from it.

Back