Dragging the shutter at evening reception ...

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Photographed a friend's wedding on Saturday. Man is it stressful. I have done a couple of others and I don't advertise myself as a wedding photographer but if friends ask then I attempt to step up, after giving them the usual caveats that I don't do it for a living but I'll do the best job I can etc.

Anyway, I was trying a new technique for a few of the evening party dance floor shots - off camera and on camera flash with triggers, but setting the shutter speed reasonably slow - somewhere between 1/5 and 1/13 of a second.

I really like the way these came out - I think they've captured the energy of what was going on on the dance floor. The bride and groom had a rocky taste in music, so a lot of the dancing was done to Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine etc ...

CC is welcome as always!

Ross & Charlie Wedding - 10th October 2015-360.jpg Ross & Charlie Wedding - 10th October 2015-361.jpg Ross & Charlie Wedding - 10th October 2015-355.jpg Ross & Charlie Wedding - 10th October 2015-358.jpg

I like the idea… as it reflects a vision through the possible levels of alcohol!

You're very brave.

My most recent wedding was for a very old friend and I was overly careful as to what I did. I spent the whole day worrying and checking settings over and over again.
I had to work on the basis that these were their wedding shots and so I kept it pretty straight.

You know them better than anyone as to whether they will like them or not ...
I prefer the last two, for me the guy on the left in the first one spoils it

Nirvana ...... I'm guessing there was a lot of loud singing going on :)

This was a strange wedding, never been to one so laid back. Also it was my first experience of a registry office wedding. It was at a hotel in the middle of Bradford, so no nice grand church shots, no lovely outdoor scenic locations and the ceremony only lasted 10 minutes!

It was also the only wedding I've done where I was trying to persuade the couple to have a few more portraits of just the two of them. They just wanted a few laid back ones, no special posing then off back to enjoy the party. So most of the shots of the wedding are candid. And why not. :)

I think it works well given the style of the event, as @Kodiak Qc suggests there nice kind of alcohol fueled energy to them.

You need to be really close for this kind of thing to work well otherwise you just end up with a blurry mess. For this reason, the shot of the bride works best. The flash needs to be on the subject(s) to freeze them and make them stand out from the rest of the exposure. A darker surrounding would also be preferable but that's not your fault.

How long were you exposing?

You need to be really close for this kind of thing to work well otherwise you just end up with a blurry mess. For this reason, the shot of the bride works best. The flash needs to be on the subject(s) to freeze them and make them stand out from the rest of the exposure. ...
Bang on^

... A darker surrounding would also be preferable but that's not your fault.

How long were you exposing?
Actually it is, the point being to 'balance' the exposures to taste, so knocking the background exposure down is how we concentrate on the subject.

I don't know whether the OP used first or 2nd curtain, but apart from the shot of the bride, there's no obvious subject in these. This is what can happen with 2nd curtain, because you're not picking your shot if your shot happens almost a second after you press the shutter.

Using 1st curtain means you freeze the subject in your viewfinder then let the background burn in after.

Never done or tried this sort of thing before but they always look great to me.I get the method behind capture but am confused as to wether it is the dragging of the shutter that creates the blur, with camera held as steady as poss. Or do you move the camnera also ? Only ask as I am sure I have read that some to do that too. I would have thought the results would be even more random ?

Gaz

Bang on^

Actually it is, the point being to 'balance' the exposures to taste, so knocking the background exposure down is how we concentrate on the subject.

I don't know whether the OP used first or 2nd curtain, but apart from the shot of the bride, there's no obvious subject in these. This is what can happen with 2nd curtain, because you're not picking your shot if your shot happens almost a second after you press the shutter.

Using 1st curtain means you freeze the subject in your viewfinder then let the background burn in after.

Thanks for the advice - although I would argue that not every photograph needs an "obvious subject". Take the second photo for example - there are any number of points that your eye could be drawn to, rather than a single one. That's what makes the photographs interesting to me - there's a few different things you can focus on, as well as the overall image of everyone having a great time. The expressions on each one of the guys faces summed up the atmosphere and energy of that moment of the night, to concentrate on one single face would have ruined the portrayal that it was a group of guys, huddled together in a semi-conservative mosh pit!

I'll take the advice re. settings onboard. I'm almost certain I didn't select rear-curtain mode, so maybe some of my other settings weren't quite right. Then again, I liked how they turned out, and the bride and groom love them, so who's to say what settings are "right". :)

Thanks for the advice - although I would argue that not every photograph needs an "obvious subject". Take the second photo for example - there are any number of points that your eye could be drawn to, rather than a single one. That's what makes the photographs interesting to me - there's a few different things you can focus on, as well as the overall image of everyone having a great time. The expressions on each one of the guys faces summed up the atmosphere and energy of that moment of the night, to concentrate on one single face would have ruined the portrayal that it was a group of guys, huddled together in a semi-conservative mosh pit!

I'll take the advice re. settings onboard. I'm almost certain I didn't select rear-curtain mode, so maybe some of my other settings weren't quite right. Then again, I liked how they turned out, and the bride and groom love them, so who's to say what settings are "right". :)
I'm not arguing, or telling you what's 'right', and the 2nd image works for me too, but the 1st one doesn't, and it's inclusion next to the 2nd weakens the 2nd IMHO.

It's a technique I've used a lot, but it's hit and miss, and my keeper rate is appalling (but that doesn't matter), it also improves with practice as you learn to read where the light patterns will fall.

They're also a bit of a marmite effect, so whilst I'm a fan, I do understand that lots of people will be turned off instantly.

I'm not arguing, or telling you what's 'right', and the 2nd image works for me too, but the 1st one doesn't, and it's inclusion next to the 2nd weakens the 2nd IMHO.

It's a technique I've used a lot, but it's hit and miss, and my keeper rate is appalling (but that doesn't matter), it also improves with practice as you learn to read where the light patterns will fall.

They're also a bit of a marmite effect, so whilst I'm a fan, I do understand that lots of people will be turned off instantly.

My mistake, I'm sure I read the word "right" what you wrote. Sorry!

Will this technique ever reach the dizzying proportions of selective colour marmiteness I wonder? :)

Just out of interest, how would you usually go about photographing an evening reception like this? Just interested what other techniques people are using. (Feel free to tell me to sod off if you don't want to divulge trade secrets!)

My mistake, I'm sure I read the word "right" what you wrote. Sorry!

Will this technique ever reach the dizzying proportions of selective colour marmiteness I wonder? :)

Just out of interest, how would you usually go about photographing an evening reception like this? Just interested what other techniques people are using. (Feel free to tell me to sod off if you don't want to divulge trade secrets!)
If you go to my blog you'll see at least a couple of reception shots, and from the front page of my website a gallery from evening receptions.

It's a mix of techniques, available light, off camera flash, on camera flash bounced, dragging the shutter. Whatever fits.

Some great shots on your site Phil V,just had a look.:)

Good effort but I think you have got too much ambient in your shots. If your post wasn't titled 'dragging the shutter...' I would have never thought this was your intention. You nearly got there but not quite enough.

Back