dragon fly?

I was told a few weeks ago Dragon Flies don't close their wings when they land but Damsel Flies do. I'm not 100% sure about this but maybe one of the experts is?

It's a damselfly. Looks to me like a Beautiful Demoiselle.

I agree - it is a damselfly and looks like a demoiselle but not sure which one.

Looks as though the focus is on the legs but ideally should be on the eyes particularly as you have a very shallow DOF at f2.8

I was told a few weeks ago Dragon Flies don't close their wings when they land but Damsel Flies do. I'm not 100% sure about this but maybe one of the experts is?

I think damsels have one pair of wings whereas dragons have 2 pairs.

Damsel Flies also have 2 pairs of wings. The closing the wings thing may be true as every pic I've got of a perched damselfly has the wings closed.

Damsel Flies also have 2 pairs of wings. The closing the wings thing may be true as every pic I've got of a perched damselfly has the wings closed.

Yes you are correct. Found this on another site

Damselflies - All four wings are near enough equal in size and shape. They are usually small, weakly flying insects that stay close to the water margins or water surface. When at rest, most species hold their wings along the length of their abdomen. The eyes are always separated, never touching.

Dragonflies - Hind wings are usually shorter and broader than Fore wings. They are usually larger, strongly flying insects that can often be found flying well away from water. When at rest, they hold their wings out from the body, often at right angles to it. The eyes are very large and usually touch, at least at a point.

Back