Undecided Dramatic winter locations

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for somewhere to go in the UK in January to shoot,I would like to spend a week somewhere taking dramatic shots of rough weather,mist,sea spray over Lighthouses,anything the winter weather can provide.In the past I've done the Lake District,Northumbrian coast right up to Scotland. Many thanks.

I suspect that the best thing to do would be to keep an eye on the weather and go where it's most dramatic.

It would be a bit pointless going to a suggested place only to find a beautiful cold, crisp, blue sky winters day.

I agree with Coleman, but if you have some locations in mind you can target your weather watching to those places.
I'd say, if I understand your interest right, the south-west coast of Ireland, North Cornwall, or Finisterre in Brittany.

Thank you,problem being you have to book accommodation firstly,I'm looking at Rosedale Yorks.Nice area drivable to Whitby,Staithes etc.

There wont be many places you’ll struggle to get accommodation in Jan assuming you’re not talking New Year. If you can do anytime then i think it might be worth waiting for a forecast and deciding east or west coast and booking last minute. Lindsays suggestion makes sense on having choices pre picked.

my main concern would be going somewhere new when you have something particular in mind as shots. Finding the ‘right’ spots are either blind luck or local knowledge.

i would also suggest Lewis & Harris on the list. There’s 4 lighthouses with decent breaking wave potential, plenty of cliffs and beaches. Downside is getting there might be a bit more travel than you want. Upside is plenty of alternate photo ops and if you miss this storm there’ll be another along in 20 mins at that time of year.

Skye...Elgol catches the light really well in the darker months and the odds of clear sky cold crisp weather is minimal.

Personally though, with a week to spare, in January I'd be thinking the Alps - budget dependent.
That’ll be the global warming with the waves crashing over the lighthouses in the Alps then :)

Back