Drip... Drip... Drip.. Drip

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
That's all I've heard for the last few hours, I thought I'd give these droplet things a go that everyone in this sections seems to be into, here's my attempts...

drop1.jpg

drop2.jpg

drop3.jpg

drop4.jpg

drop5.jpg

I really like the third one. Never get tired of these pics.

Great.

Cheers all, I never saw what the fuss was with these but they're defo a challenge to capture!

That's another 500 shutter actuations added to the D3 :D

Stunningly good shots :clap: ... Really like all of them (y)

Cracking captures, I agree with most that #2 & #3 are my favourites...

Must look into these type of shots myself ;)

Cool:) Well done drove me :wacky: trying to capture them.

Last edited:
The third one is probably the best water drop shot I've seen. Although the second is also superb.

Well played mate :)

3rd for me. Great set

3rd one does it for me! Its brilliant! Can I ask how you did them?

3rd for me, stunning.

Really need a tutorial as I haven't got a clue how to set this up let alone achieve this level of greatness. LOL

Cheers again all

3rd one does it for me! Its brilliant! Can I ask how you did them?

I had a glass full to the brim of water on the baseboard of my copy stand and mounted a piece of tube filled with water to the top, the tube was connected to a solenoid that can be programmed to give a drip at set intervals, all this was controlled by a siemens logic controller I coded up specifically for the job. I set the camera to bulb in a darkened room, opened the shutter and pressed the button to start the first drop, the second drop fires automatically after a set period of time, about 50ms in most of these cases and then it fires the flash at a time I set, approx 230ms after the first drop is released (by varying this time I can change where the impact will be when the flash fires), it means I can pretty much get it consistent drop on drop, though in practice there's still lots of shots required

Flash wise on images 2 & 3 there is just one sb-800 pointing at 45 degrees to a piece of white card behind the glass, flash is set to 1/64 or 1/128th power, on some of the other images there's an additional sb-r200 fired via the sb-800 off to one side.

Last edited:
Super set. You did very well on this project no3 for me also.

Absolutely fantastic.
How much would a solenoid & siemens logic cost and where would i get them from, if you don't mind me asking.

Wow that's quite a project for water drop pictures! Nicely done though.

Absolutely fantastic.
How much would a solenoid & siemens logic cost and where would i get them from, if you don't mind me asking.

Not all that much, I'm guessing the problem is though that you need to be comfortable wiring it all up and writing a small amount of code to make it work.

Cost wise it depends on what you can get hold of really, I had everything here already from when I used to run an automated coral farm. It took me about an hour to put it all together and write the program for it.

Solenoid will be about £20, the plc will be £50 plus from ebay upto many hundreds for a very versatile one, be warned though that it's not something you can learn to program in 10 mins, I've used them for years and I still struggle with some bits. Also the software is usually purchased in addition as are programming cables etc all of which aren't cheap.

Last edited:
Crazy pics mine always come out terrible but yours look amazing!

Interesting setup HairyDuck, the exact kind of thing I'm looking at doing this year...I knew my electrical / electronic engineering background would come in handy at some point! My other ideas include a solenoid "bulb smasher", solenoid "thumper" (for shots of bouncing drops on a flexible membrane), solenoid "bubble burster" and of course splogs..

Last edited:
Cost wise it depends on what you can get hold of really, I had everything here already from when I used to run an automated coral farm. It took me about an hour to put it all together and write the program for it.

Solenoid will be about £20, the plc will be £50 plus from ebay upto many hundreds for a very versatile one, be warned though that it's not something you can learn to program in 10 mins, I've used them for years and I still struggle with some bits. Also the software is usually purchased in addition as are programming cables etc all of which aren't cheap.

That has buggered me then, i thought it was a case of it does it for you :bang:. I'll stick to looking at Images like yours instead unless i find someone with the know how on setting one up for me.
Thanks for your reply.

OMG they are awesome shots Hairyduck but no way am I following those instructions. A pippet and 3000 attempts for me :LOL:

1st and 3rd for me. It motivates me to go buy a macro lens and not sleep until Ive created something even half as good. Absolutely astounding.

Back