Driver Convicted For Hogging Middle Lane

Shame he was the first, hopefully there will be more and after that maybe ticket those on National Speed limit roads doing 45/50 (or less) where it's clearly safe to do closer to, or actually do the 60 limit.

Not the first - I follow the local motorway Police on FB and they’ve done a few on the M6 over the last 6 months or so. Wait - August - could have been!

Mrs Oy is often grumbling at me for grumbling at middle lane hoggers.

Last edited:
Shame he was the first, hopefully there will be more and after that maybe ticket those on National Speed limit roads doing 45/50 (or less) where it's clearly safe to do closer to, or actually do the 60 limit.
It would be nice if they even travelled at 45/50. I have to travel on such roads to get to my son's house and a lot of the time find myself lucky to be able to drive as fast as 40mph.

It would be nice if they even travelled at 45/50. I have to travel on such roads to get to my son's house and a lot of the time find myself lucky to be able to drive as fast as 40mph.
That will be the 40mph everywhere brigade, even in the 30 zones unless its the other mob that do 20/25 in a 30
Probably in an EV (saving fuel) :) (only joking).

That will be the 40mph everywhere brigade, even in the 30 zones unless its the other mob that do 20/25 in a 30

Yes, cannot get my head around these types and there are lots of them.

Oh don't worry the slow EV brigade are out there too.

I wonder how many prosecutions there have been since this one happened over 4 years ago.

Not enough I regularly drive up the M74 between Carlisle and Glasgow between midnight and 3am when the Motorway is pretty quiet, but the number of cars I have to go from the inside lane to the outside lane to overtake has gone up over the years.:mad:

It's not these I object to most, it's the ones who do 45/50 until you start to overtake then they speedup I've had times when I've even had to break the law so as not to cause an accident with these t**ts.:mad::bat:

Last edited:
Not the first - I follow the local motorway Police on FB and they’ve done a few on the M6 over the last 6 months or so. Wait - August - could have been!

Mrs Oy is often grumbling at me for grumbling at middle lane hoggers.

May well have been the first when the story was actually news rather than being 3 1/2 years out of date!

A warning has been given for this post
Ancient news muppet
Last updated Sun 21 Jun 2015

Have to agree with you on that... A1 south of Peterborough services seems particularly bad, 4 lanes and frequently some idiot in lane 3 at 60mph...

Haven't driven that bit for a good while but agree. Diving south I always looked forward to arriving at the 4 lane section. I'd get into the left hand lane and then find myself catching up (even though I was below the limit) with cars in the lanes two and three when the left hand lane was free.

I don't know if folks overtake and forget they need to move back or if they don't want the bother of overtaking other vehicles, so stay in the wrong lane.

Dave

Have to agree with you on that... A1 south of Peterborough services seems particularly bad, 4 lanes and frequently some idiot in lane 3 at 60mph...
I bet it wasn't a BMW :)

I don't know if folks overtake and forget they need to move back or if they don't want the bother of overtaking other vehicles, so stay in the wrong lane.

Dave
From what I have seen of a lot of the culprits, they do it deliberately.
All too often I see people pull out onto motorways or dual carriageways, not a single car in the inside lane in front of them, but they will still move out into an overtaking lane and just sit there.

You know I think a lot of people sit in the middle lane of 3 because they feel safer there, in as much as they wont roll off onto the hard shoulder or wander into the crash barrier. I see a lot of drivers coming up behind another car in the middle lane (because they are travelling faster) and not then pull into outside lane to overtake. Obviously if I'm in the outer lane overtaking these people I keep an eye out up front in case they swing out at the last moment but often as not they don't pull out, apply brakes and then when I have gone past them they stay in the middle lane, very odd.

From what I have seen of a lot of the culprits, they do it deliberately.
All too often I see people pull out onto motorways or dual carriageways, not a single car in the inside lane in front of them, but they will still move out into an overtaking lane and just sit there.
Yep, I've saved a recording of an old guy joining motorway slowly. But immediently switch over to the middle lane, causing the middle lane car to brake quite hard, yet the left lane is completely clear.

Similarly, on my daily drive, M1 4 lane stretch, there's so many cars doing 60mph on the 3rd lane from the left.

Here's hoping there's more publicity with the few convicted mid-lane hoggers so those people will take notice and not do it deliberately.

Travelling back from Cardiff in the early hours last week, passed a driver hogging lane 3 of 4 with no other traffic around.

Yep, I've saved a recording of an old guy joining motorway slowly. But immediently switch over to the middle lane, causing the middle lane car to brake quite hard, yet the left lane is completely clear.

Similarly, on my daily drive, M1 4 lane stretch, there's so many cars doing 60mph on the 3rd lane from the left.

Here's hoping there's more publicity with the few convicted mid-lane hoggers so those people will take notice and not do it deliberately.
You are working on the theory they have the slightest idea what they are doing and why, I think you are mistaken, they are to**ers in the main that haven't got clue what they are doing. Their idea of good driving is going from A to B without hitting anything.

Last edited:
Drive that section most nights and have to agree with you.

I think a lot of people just want to avoid being behind a lorry so they hog the middle/outer lanes just in case one jumps out from behind a hedge!

The incorrect use of multi lane A roads & Motorways is so rife!

One I encountered recently
To overtake him/her I had to cross all three lanes.....yes I was in the leftmost lane as it was empty for at least 1 mile ahead. I felt constrained/obliged to show my presence, so flashed my lights as I crossed the middle lane.

Upon passing him and pulling back in with a nice margin of space as I continued into the leftmost lane at 70mph he hooted me!!!

Oh, and at the 70 limit he was dropping back and with other vehicles clearly visible behind him, with a still clear near side lane he was soldiering on @ 60'ish mph

I was coming home on the M25 the other night, outside lane, doing about 40, as were most other people. In the distance behind I saw an ambulance, blues going, so I moved over left and noticed traffic slowing up front in the outside lane (and my lane) slowing to almost a stop, so I slowed down to allow those in the outside lane to overtake me and slot in front of me allowing free passage to the ambulance, got hooted up by the bloke behind.

Last edited:
Dunno how that happened. Someone sent me the link. Very remiss of me not to notice the date.

I've been caught out posting old articles so I do check dates these days. Infact, I didn't notice the date on this one until Tringa pointed it out.

Just got back from a bit of a trek, M56 and M53 not a bad drive even though the traffic was heavy. Only little problem was when there was a load of wagons, and some wagons trying to over take slower wagons, and struggling to do so. There was a bit of middle lane hogging, but not too bad, as there was room to simply over take, and make reasonable progress.

I think a significant part of the problem is we no longer see traffic patrol police cars - you know, the ones that just use to stooge along at 65mph in the inside lane. Now you only see a police car doing 90-100mph with the blues and twos going. Everyone used to drive so properly when they came across a traffic patrol. Now it feels like anything goes: middle lane hogging; passing on the left; tailgating and intimidation. And that's just what I saw this Sunday.

I think a significant part of the problem is we no longer see traffic patrol police cars - you know, the ones that just use to stooge along at 65mph in the inside lane. Now you only see a police car doing 90-100mph with the blues and twos going. Everyone used to drive so properly when they came across a traffic patrol. Now it feels like anything goes: middle lane hogging; passing on the left; tailgating and intimidation. And that's just what I saw this Sunday.

I was on the M56 and M53 this morning, and it was not too bad, at that time. I think in the 1980s and 1990s the motorways were probably worse. People know there are cameras on the motorways now. Plus a lot of vehicles have video cameras recording other drivers, and motorists may be inclined to think another vehicle will be recording them, should they be tailgating, and doing other silly driving stunts.

But yes, still plenty of bad drivers out there.

Not so sure about the presence of police cars helping.

A55 a few weeks ago. Cruise control on at 70mph. White SUV in the right lane a few hundred yards in front of me also doing 70. I'd not seen him in the nearside lane at any point since Sealand and there was almost no traffic. He was clearly in the wrong lane but lets forget that for a moment. Going down Rhuallt Hill and in the distance ahead I can see a police car and it's going slower than we are. Mr white suv got within 100 yards of the police car and presumably noticed it as he slammed his anchors on. I slowed but undertook him at about 50 mph! I matched the police cars speed until I could pull out and overtake it. Mr white suv in the meantime stayed in the outer lane throughout.

Twenty odd years ago when I had my first assessed drive for advanced training my observer commented about middle lane hogging and people doing it in the mistaken belief it's safer there:

"you don't want to be the jam in the sandwich"

Seems to me that in the nearside lane you often have an escape path (not necessarily an easy one but something), middle lane and outer lane you usually have nowhere to go.

As for people not travelling at the speed limit when it's safe to do so...as long as they are on the left then surely that is fine (even if annoying)? Technically you could report them for obstruction but I can't imagine a successful prosecution being brought. Speed limits are a maximum not something you must actually do.

...and if the person who pulled out in front of me on the national limit road forcing me to try out the anti-lock braking in anger on Sunday...I don't know what the 1 you were indicating with your finger meant

As for people not travelling at the speed limit when it's safe to do so...as long as they are on the left then surely that is fine (even if annoying)? Technically you could report them for obstruction but I can't imagine a successful prosecution being brought. Speed limits are a maximum not something you must actually do.
Doing 35/40 on a national speed limit single lane carriageway in daylight with good visibility in the dry is poor driving in my view.

Last edited:
Overtake either side as in USA is the answer. Takes about 5 mins to get used to.

Back