Driving Lessons!

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
After 26 years of driving, I had to book some driving lessons today. :oops: :$

No, I haven't been a naughty boy. My next car is going to have hand controls fitted. I had an initial assessment on Monday, have booked 6 hours with BSM which will then be followed by another assessment.

So, just for a bit of fun, do you think you'd pass your driving test if you had to take it again today? If not, why not? :police:

Plod were happy enough with my bike riding a couple of years ago (Bikesafe course) so probably. Do the online theory test every couple of years out of personal interest and always pass that bit! Wanted to take a new test to get my license back after the brane op but couldn't.

I think I would.

Ive driven for for 35 years now. Been through the young and foolish phase, the drive as fast as I like phase and now moved nicely into the being sensible on the road phase.

I'm much more tolerant and understanding these days, just sold my automatic for a manual to get me back to basics and I enjoy driving again and think I'm a far better driver.

But what do I know;)

I failed the "mock" anticipation tests that are part of the theory test, as I nearly always was predicting too early for the scenario. So doubt I would pass for real now.

After today's trip on the M25 I could nominate a few that wouldn't :mad:

So, just for a bit of fun, do you think you'd pass your driving test if you had to take it again today? If not, why not? :police:

I think I'd fail unless Mrs WW is sat in the passenger seat constantly telling me what to do. Obviously I couldn't drive safely without her voice in my ear.

Bless.

Good luck with it :D

Not sure about today, I’d need to revise things like stopping distances. Wouldn’t mind at all if I had to retake the test every few years, I’d love to see how all the “Oh it’s only just gone red so it’s ok” and “Manoeuvre, signal, mirror” drivers would get on :D

Last edited:
I passed an advanced test a couple of months ago. My employer said I had to do it because I'd done over 100k miles in 3 years.

A funny story about hand controls....
Nearly 40 years ago when I was an apprentice in a garage, I was asked to collect a customer's car and take it to the coachworks for some paintwork repairs.
It was a mini, and had hand controls as well as foot controls.
I was driving through the town and as I approached a zebra crossing thought it would be a good idea to try the hand control for the brakes.
I pulled it too hard and the car almost stopped on the spot, and it felt like it was going to somersault.
I don't know who got the biggest fright, me or the pedestrians on the crossing....:)

Hd my first lesson yesterday and it went well but it's amazing how many people think it's ok to cut you up if you're in a learner car! :rolleyes:

Only niggle is that, on this particular car (Peugot 308), the steering ball is at 8 o'clock rather than 10 o'clock due due the wheel's shape which is not as comfortable for me.

4 more hours booked.

I pulled it too hard and the car almost stopped on the spot, and it felt like it was going to somersault.

This is the one thing I still need to get used to, keep stopping with 5 yards or so still to go until the junction!

Hd my first lesson yesterday and it went well but it's amazing how many people think it's ok to cut you up if you're in a learner car! :rolleyes:

I drove motorcycles for 5 or 6 years before driving a car, and then drove for a couple of years with wife sat beside me so only had a couple of lessons to 'polish things up' pre-test (mid 80's). I do remember some very surprised drivers in Streatham who were expecting to comfortably out-drag and cut up a learner car - cue mild telling off from instructor. :D

Back