Drone Flights to 1000' above ground level now possible

Edit My Images
No
I haven't seen much publicity about this exemption give by the CAA of the rule limiting flights to 400' above ground level (ORS4 No.1226).

If your drone is equipped with First Person View and you have an observer to watch the drone you are now able to fly at up to 1000' above ground level (your take off point). You also have to be more than 150m from congested areas and outside controlled airspace but this seams quiet a relaxation of the current tightening rules around drones.

Sadly it doesn't apply to commercial operations.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=7891

In a hilly area like here 400 feet is a bit of a joke.
You could fly horizontal from take off and break the rule in 100m

The 400' is Above Ground Level measured at your take off point so if you are on a hill that is 1000' Above Sea Level then your ceiling is 1000' + 400' Above Sea Level or 400' above ground level.

This is incorrect. If you think of it as having a 400ft piece of string dangling below your SUAV, then your max height at any point is that which doesn't allow the end of the string to leave the ground

https://www.caa.co.uk/Blog-Posts/Guidance-for-flying-drones/?catid=4294967431

I'll quote it for you

"So, to stay safe you must simply fly your drone no further than 500m away from you horizontally or 400ft above you vertically."

That's 400ft above YOU, not the ground.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Blog-Posts/Guidance-for-flying-drones/?catid=4294967431

I'll quote it for you

"So, to stay safe you must simply fly your drone no further than 500m away from you horizontally or 400ft above you vertically."

That's 400ft above YOU, not the ground.
No, this too is incorrect. To stay safe, you must remain in unaided visual contact with your drone. This may be a lot less than 500m from your position at times. The maximum distance you should fly is 500m from your position.
Regarding height, the 400ft rule is the height above ground level of your drone, not from your position.

No, this too is incorrect. To stay safe, you must remain in unaided visual contact with your drone. This may be a lot less than 500m from your position at times. The maximum distance you should fly is 500m from your position.
Regarding height, the 400ft rule is the height above ground level of your drone, not from your position.

Incorrect my arse. It's says on the CAA website. Where did you thumbsuck your info from?

The only time you have to remain 400ft above the surface is when our are flying a drone above 7kg. That rules out most consumer drones.

Please go away and read the rules before talking crap on here.

I'll make it easy for you
https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Recreational-drone-flights/

• if your drone weighs more than 7kg, additional rules apply if you fly in certain types of airspace and you must not fly above 400ft above the surface

Last edited:
Please go away and read the rules before talking crap on here.
We have rules too you know
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/help/rules/
  • Finally, if you don't read anything else from here down, please read these two most important rules on being a Talk Photography member:
  • Respect - Always act respectfully and polite towards everyone else. Always. Speak to them as you would speak to your own grandmother.
  • Common sense - Apply it, use it, and be guided by it.

Having done my license. @nigpd is correct. You must remain 400ft AGL or below at all times. if you take off from 1000ft AMSL, then you can fly up to 1400ft AMSL (400ft AGL). if you then fly 500ft horizontally you must remain at 400ft AGL. This means that if in that 500ft distance, the ground level decreases to 100ft AMSL then your aircraft must be below 500ft AMSL (still at 400ft AGL).

Having done my license. @nigpd is correct. You must remain 400ft AGL or below at all times. if you take off from 1000ft AMSL, then you can fly up to 1400ft AMSL (400ft AGL). if you then fly 500ft horizontally you must remain at 400ft AGL. This means that if in that 500ft distance, the ground level decreases to 100ft AMSL then your aircraft must be below 500ft AMSL (still at 400ft AGL).

This is still true for recreational flying at the moment as the CAA exception rule that @ah5168 is referring to has not yet been approved and issued in a NOTAM.

Thanks for the support and confirmation that my info is correct.
I too have my PfCO and fly commercially, so I really ought to know the rules and regs
I'm not too bothered about the lack of respect from other parties, more bothered that drones are flown safely, within the guidelines and that my profession is not compromised by those that do not understand air law, particularly Article 94 section 4c, which is relevant to the OP's initial question

Last edited:

That has been our understanding and interpretation too. We have not done a licence as we don't do it commercially, only post on YouTube and Vimeo etc, but we also took some guidance from tutors and this is what was explained to us also.

Last edited:

Double post

Last edited:
Back