Drone Light Painting

Edit My Images
No
A friend of mine asked me if I had seen any examples of drone light painting, or something to that effect. I hadn't heard of it, but I guessed what it could be. Anyway, he asked if I would be interested in trying it out, basically, him flying his drone at night and me, on my DSLR, taking pix. We had a few attempts and it was good fun, so we will be out again at some point. One of the images below shows the fountain with the drone light trail above, the other image, we kept the drone in one spot, just to light the fountain from above, then I removed the drone in PP. Ideally, I would have liked the halo to have been directly above the fountain, but it was pitch black and he struggled to get the drone to pinpoint the centre of the fountain, hence, it is slightly off. The third image is Kev with his drone directly above him, then I did some PP to get the final image. Thanks for looking.MOE_9281.jpgMOE_9287.jpgMOE_9289.jpg

Nice! I really like these. A camera club I'm in did a light-painting session a while back, just with a hand-held light rather than a drone, and I really enjoyed it. I've bought some laser pointers to try doing it a different way, too.

Here are a couple of the shots I took on the club evening - the light source was edited out afterwards:

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kmlabs/52255605321/in/dateposted-public/

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kmlabs/52256103055/in/dateposted-public/

There are a few more on my Flickr too, where we used fire to illuminate the subjects. It's really good fun to do!

Last edited:
Nice! I really like these. A camera club I'm in did a light-painting session a while back, just with a hand-held light rather than a drone, and I really enjoyed it. I've bought some laser pointers to try doing it a different way, too.
Nice images Kerry, I had a quick look at your Flickr page too and saw the fire ones. I like the one with the two motorbikes face to face. :) I'd be interested to see the laser pointer ones when you take some.
These are great. Something I want to try for lighting foregrounds for my Milky Way photography.
The light from the drone was pretty good in that there didn't seem to be any noticeable light pollution above the drone. In fact, I could see stars in a couple of the images, so I think it may work well for you. Having said that, I have never tried photographing the Milky Way, but I'm assuming the shutter will be open a lot longer than the 25 seconds I had it open for :D:D. To be honest, it's something I'd like to try myself, so I'll have to stalk your posts for tips. :)

Nice images Kerry, I had a quick look at your Flickr page too and saw the fire ones. I like the one with the two motorbikes face to face. :) I'd be interested to see the laser pointer ones when you take some.

The light from the drone was pretty good in that there didn't seem to be any noticeable light pollution above the drone. In fact, I could see stars in a couple of the images, so I think it may work well for you. Having said that, I have never tried photographing the Milky Way, but I'm assuming the shutter will be open a lot longer than the 25 seconds I had it open for :D:D. To be honest, it's something I'd like to try myself, so I'll have to stalk your posts for tips. :)

Actually 15-20 seconds is about the maximum unless using a tracker as you start to get star trails.

Back