Drone near miss at Heathrow

It only common sense really isn't it you just don't do it end of. We get the military helicopters flying up the valley sometimes but they are a lot higher normally.

I agree. Just pointing out aircraft at 500' ain't that common.

Engadget are reporting on the launch of a handheld anti-drone weapon.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/14/anti-drone-rifle-shoots-down-uavs-with-radio-waves/

COLUMBUS, Ohio (Oct. 13, 2015)—Aim. Engage. Stop. Battelle’s revolutionary DroneDefenderTM, is the first portable, accurate, rapid-to-use counter-weapon to stop suspicious or hostile drones in flight, providing critical security protection at home and abroad.

The Battelle DroneDefender uses radio control frequency disruption technologies to safely stop drones in the air, before they can pose a threat to military or civilian safety. The growing use and availability of commercially-available drones—also known as Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)—is raising concerns among defense, security and law enforcement leaders.

- See more at: http://www.battelle.org/media/press-releases/rogue-drones-have-met-their-match#sthash.PjDC4zZP.dpuf

A shotgun is probably cheaper and more effective

I completely understand the concerns with the Drones and the odd irresponsible fools controlling them, however what about the photographers that have spent around £1k on one to then find out if & when it happens (Law Change) they can't operate them without a licence of some sort?? or if they do they are breaking the law??

That would be £1k down the pan...

Last edited:
...what about the photographers that have spent around £1k on one to then find out if & when it happens they can't operate them without a licence of some sort?? or if they do they are breaking the law??

More fool them.

I completely understand the concerns with the Drones and the odd irresponsible fools controlling them, however what about the photographers that have spent around £1k on one to then find out if & when it happens they can't operate them without a licence of some sort?? or if they do they are breaking the law??

Not doing the research is just plain stupid.

I completely understand the concerns with the Drones and the odd irresponsible fools controlling them, however what about the photographers that have spent around £1k on one to then find out if & when it happens they can't operate them without a licence of some sort?? or if they do they are breaking the law??

I'm assuming you mean if the law changes? I assume it'd be like any other law change. You're either compensated or given time to comply

Not doing the research is just plain stupid.

Yet again another ridiculous reply.

You can't predict what laws are going to be brought in in the future.

All research may have been done, but the act of others stupidity could mean sensible owners that have forked out all that money could be made to suffer.

Stop making short pointless quotes just to up your post rate.

I'm assuming you mean if the law changes? I assume it'd be like any other law change. You're either compensated or given time to comply

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

But can you see compensation actually being paid out?

All research may have been done, but the act of others stupidity could mean sensible owners that have forked out all that money could be made to suffer.

Yay a keyboard warrior!!!!!!

The law doesn't need to change. If a photographer has bought a drone for professional purposes then they need to obtain a recognised qualification like a BNUC-S, then apply for and obtain a PFAW from the CAA. That is the existing situation. Hence if a photographer has bought a drone for work, and haven't researched the fact that they need a PFAW to use it legally, then yes they are an idiot.

Oh look, I added to my post count.

Hmmm... Ricardo's classifieds ratio is 1%, yours is 52. I wonder who's trying to boost their post rate.

Thanks for that useful info. You must be bored!! What's the classified ratio got to do with anything??

Thanks for that useful info. You must be bored!! What's the classified ratio got to do with anything??

There really was no need to act the hard man Matt. You original post says:

"however what about the photographers that have spent around £1k on one to then find out if & when it happens (Law Change) they can't operate them without a licence of some sort??"

I pointed out to you that we are already in that situation. It has been like that for quite a while.

At the moment, you are denied classifieds access since that's where the majority of your posting has occurred. Easy to find and spamming (such as [maybe] your posts in this thread) to increase your post count elsewhere will be spotted and you may find your access removed rather than merely suspended...

To be completely honest, The threat of being banned does not bother me, this site has changed over the 5 years. You all have to have the same opinion or follow the leader attitude or you are dubbed a trouble maker, not part of the circle of friendship or threatened with bans!! Half the people that critique couldn't take a good photo if their lives depended on it. Yet they are told its great, amazing!! Always the same group commenting on each others photos. I had no idea what my classified rating was neither do I really care. I was having a conversation with another member ands he also said it does not matter what you post on here someone always has to be sarcastic or argumentative. Its really got that sad!! Im sure everyone will now jump on my back… Some may agree but not have the B*£@ to write it. Well I have said my bit. Au Revoir

To be completely honest, The threat of being banned does not bother me, this site has changed over the 5 years. You all have to have the same opinion or follow the leader attitude or you are dubbed a trouble maker, not part of the circle of friendship or threatened with bans!! Half the people that critique couldn't take a good photo if their lives depended on it. Yet they are told its great, amazing!! Always the same group commenting on each others photos. I had no idea what my classified rating was neither do I really care. I was having a conversation with another member ands he also said it does not matter what you post on here someone always has to be sarcastic or argumentative. Its really got that sad!! Im sure everyone will now jump on my back… Some may agree but not have the B*£@ to write it. Well I have said my bit. Au Revoir

More importantly did my last post clarify the situation for you?

More importantly did my last post clarify the situation for you?

I'd like to be the first to congratulate you on promotion to moderator status, ric...

I'd like to be the first to congratulate you on promotion to moderator status, ric...

It's called being helpful. The guy was obviously confused about something, I was trying to clarify the situation for him. Can't understand why that interests you so much. But cheers anyway.

It's called being helpful. .

you could have fooled me - you accuse him of being a keyboard warrior and then side track into accusing him of being a classifieds spammer - this is what i mean about promotion to the green team - I assume you have evidence to support those allegations that isn't visible to us normal mortals, but whatever it is it certainly isn't being helpful

you could have fooled me - you accuse him of being a keyboard warrior and then side track into accusing him of being a classifieds spammer - this is what i mean about promotion to the green team - I assume you have evidence to support those allegations that isn't visible to us normal mortals, but whatever it is it certainly isn't being helpful

You are getting me confused with someone else son.

Oh the irony in this thread! Get it back on track or stay out of the thread. If you can't stay out then I'm sure that we can oblige with that

Not sure a rifle's the best tool for the job!

BBC report from the lunchtime news, 200 drone complaints from just 3 police force areas recently.

Figures obtained by the BBC from three police forces show there were nearly 200 complaints from members of the public about the use of drones.

And the Civil Aviation Authority says the numbers of near misses with drones is growing.

Duncan Kennedy reports.
Video at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34607121

I know!!!

I completely understand the concerns with the Drones and the odd irresponsible fools controlling them, however what about the photographers that have spent around £1k on one to then find out if & when it happens (Law Change) they can't operate them without a licence of some sort?? or if they do they are breaking the law??

More than £1k if they went for a decent aircraft and camera. As the others have said, more fool them, the rules haven't changed and are unlikely to change regarding Permits for Aerial Work (certainly not making it harder to obtain). If they want to use it for commercial purposes, then they should invest in the appropriate training and permits.

The rules are broadly quoted in most news articles regarding drones now, so if they have done any form of research, it should have come up. It's not exactly difficult to find out what the rules regarding commercial use are :)

My hope (as someone who flies a quadcopter recreationally) is that they continue to prosecute and hand out large fines to those caught breaking the rules and regs. A clear message needs to be sent out to those who fly them in inappropriate places, as they as the few that tar us all, and as a community, I suspect we'd rather have people put off by large fines than heavy regulation and being banned from flying at most locations. As an example, the National Trust (who at some sites were quite open regarding letting people fly there) now have a countrywide ban on them being flown from their grounds, unless it's contracted by the NT and the operator has a PfAW.

My hope (as someone who flies a quadcopter recreationally) is that they continue to prosecute and hand out large fines to those caught breaking the rules and regs. A clear message needs to be sent out to those who fly them in inappropriate places, as they as the few that tar us all, and as a community, I suspect we'd rather have people put off by large fines than heavy regulation and being banned from flying at most locations. As an example, the National Trust (who at some sites were quite open regarding letting people fly there) now have a countrywide ban on them being flown from their grounds, unless it's contracted by the NT and the operator has a PfAW.

Agree 100%.

Follow up story to the American who shot the drone down with a shotgun, a judge agreed with him and decided it was a justified shooting and dismissed the charges he was facing, open season on drones in the US now?

BULLITT COUNTY, KY (WAVE) – The man who calls himself the "Drone Slayer" called a judge's decision a victory.

Bullitt County Judge Rebecca Ward on Monday dismissed the case against William H. Merideth, who admitted to shooting down a drone he said was hovering over his home last July.

"I think it’s credible testimony that his drone was hovering from anywhere, for two or three times over these people’s property, that it was an invasion of their privacy and that they had the right to shoot this drone," Ward told the courtroom. "And I’m going to dismiss his charge."

The drone’s owner, David Boggs, appeared stunned with the ruling.

"I’m dumbfounded," he said. "I really am. I don’t think that the court looked at what really took place here."

http://www.wave3.com/story/30355558/drone-slayer-claims-victory-in-court

When I started flying these things nobody knew what they were about, they had never seen one before.
The first time I saw one was on HaD website, it was a a hexacopter with an arduino used as the flight controller back in 2009, fast forward to 2013 I built my first tricopter, there was no self level, it was all gyros 4 in total, fingers and thumbs on the sticks and I had to fly it.
There were FCs available like the KK and KK2 board (my first FC) and more advanced ones like the multiwii boards, setting those things up was a right pain in the butt (and still is).

It's been the last two years that have seen the improvements with FC technology, with DJI bringing out the phantom series of quadcopters with naza at it centre.
The naza FC is also available as a seperate unit, I have one in a mid sized hexacopter, it's very stable and practically flies itself, as the tech improves the regulations always have to play catch up, then when it's caught up, tech moves forward again, it's spurned on by the maker groups and hobbyists and at the end of the day hobbyists rule.

We're now onto 32bit FCs, I use one called the Naze32, it comes in two types, funfly and full, I use the funfly variant, the difference being is the full naze has a barometer for altitude hold and can support a GPS module, whereas the funfly lacks these, it's like a refined version of the KK2 board, I like it because it's seat of pants flying, no failsafes like RTH or GPS and I can flip and roll it without it screwing up and crashing, they fly like they're on rails.

:)

Back