DS colour labs Users

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Could anyone whom uses there services give me some advice please.
I have made a montage of some photos,I processed them in Canon Dpp then used Cs2 to create the montage. I have done this at 300 dpi as per there site says and image size is 18 by 12 which is a size they do.

Question 1

Which finish is best gloss or the lustre in your opinion.

Question 2

I was going to order them as the option pre sized and corrected (pro only) as I am assuming I have done the re sizing and developing allready. Am I right in thinking this.

I have posted a small sample to give an idea.

Thanks.

cricketmontage_1copy800x600.jpg

I prefer the lustre,

and yes.

The only thing I would point out is your thin black border, I would bear in mind there may be some 'bleed' required as I'm not sure how accurate these printers are. This would apply to any printshop not just DSCL.

I prefer the lustre,

and yes.

The only thing I would point out is your thin black border, I would bear in mind there may be some 'bleed' required as I'm not sure how accurate these printers are. This would apply to any printshop not just DSCL.

Thx looks like lustre seems to be popular.
Will have to take a chance on the borders as I like them. "never had anything printed before so it is a learning curve and these are only for a works notice board but I would like them to be the best I can get them.

Lustre is nicest IMHO...

One other comment, bottom right seems really over exposed.

Is your monitor calibrated? Have/will you apply the DSCL colour profile for the correct paper type before you send to them?

..... and the lustre is much better.... unless you like reflections, of course.... :D

Just checking: you've used one photo twice in that montage. Is that intentional? :shrug:

Thanks for this I have three of these montages with different 6x4's in them some portrait style "which I can't get mixed up" but it seems I goofed up with this one. It was late last night "thats my exuse anyway"

Thanks for spotting it though I will do a final check before uploading.

Cheers

Gary

Is your monitor calibrated? Have/will you apply the DSCL colour profile for the correct paper type before you send to them?

..... and the lustre is much better.... unless you like reflections, of course.... :D[/QUOTe

I have not calibrated it, is as it came from new.
Well this is what I was worried about really as wether what looks ok on my moniter may not be what I get back. My profile is the one that cs2 uses srgb IEC61966-2.1
They say on the site that srgb is very close.
If I were to apply there profile would this be a simple case of downloading it opening the image then applying it,saving image and then sending to them? Also does it make that much differance?

Thanks

Last edited:
They'll send you out a test print to compare against the same image on your monitor if you want one.... even allowing it'll only cost you a fiver all in for your print and postage it's still a huge letdown if it comes back way off the mark... the bigger the print the bigger the let down.... :D

If you order the test/calibration print they also send a CD with it containing all their colour profiles and instructions.

Monitor calibration print available on this page by email link.

Last edited:
Thanks Dekhog.

I have downloaded the lustre profile and assigned hmm! it seems to make things different for sure.
this seems like I have opened and hornets nest.

cricketmontage_1copycolourspaceadded800x600.jpg

What do you think is it best to send it like this.

As it's only one print and £5 worth, just order it and see what happens... if you're not in hurry for it I'd order the test print pack to compare to your screen first. Mine arrived in about 2 days if I remember correctly.... there's not much point in ordering a small print, as it's the postage that makes the bulk of it no matter what size you order, and it could well turn out to be fine...

Without colour calibration you'll always struggle to get what you see on screen.

I was suprised at how dark images turned out from another firm, Loxley. It wasn't anything to do with their process. I realised this after I calibrated my screen, and found that it was too bright by miles! I was surprised how little backlight was needed for correct brightness in the printing stage. After calibration my laptop brightness was adjusted down to about 50% and quite dim. Of course without the calibration I would tend to reduce the brightness in the image and always saw the image as cool so I'd warm it up in post - a disaster for accurate reproduction. Dark and overly saturated prints... yeughh! :shake:

So if you don't have any form of colour calibrator, definitely order the DSCL colour calibration and sample image pack. It'll help you get things right and save heartache later.

On another note: I've found DS Colourlabs to be very quick, reliable and regularly use them for prints. I'm not in any way connected with the company apart from being a customer.:cool:

Last edited:
Thx Antofa for the in depth reply.

Dekhog

I will send them as is and see what happens there are only 3 prints and they are dirt cheap, could do with the prints for Thursday evening so would be pushing it to have them back if I wait for the cd. I will also ask for the cd and calibration image.

Thanks for your help with this.

I have just got their CD and print.

Should I try to be getting the test image on the screen to look as near to the test print that came in the package?

hi guys, it seems as though there has been a little confusion between calibration and colour profiles.

Whilst I am not encouraging everyone to run out and purchase a calibration tool, the test print and CD supplied by DSCL isn't going to get you anywhere near the mark. I am been through it all painstakingly calibrating my monitor and getting test prints and only now am I happy with the results. Brightness is really important, especially on laptops. In my experience people tend to have their displays far too bright. Just one level up or down on the brightness slider/buttons can throw things off a lot (as I learnt during my calibration process).

The colour profile is only for the printers that DSCL use. It has no bearing with your own monitor profile and the result will definitely look strange when viewed on a screen. I only use the DSCL profiles when I order prints, as I am happy with my calibrated screen (finally!)

Just thought I would update this thread.
I went ahead and ordered my 3 collage prints.
Sent them as srgb not there profile and asked them to send the calibration cd with the order.
Uploaded files to them on Sunday evening and prints arrived back at 11 am Tuesday"really well packaged"
Outcome is, I am well pleaed with the prints I could not have hoped for better results.I don't think I will bother at all with the calibration as they came out so well I don't want to mess any settings up.
Incredible really as my moniter is our 32inch Samsung tv. "shame for the rest of the family whom want to watch tele"

May I thank everyone for there input, advice was great Lustre paper is well good also.

Thanks all.

:)

Glad it worked out for you - did you upload them as 'non-corrected' and let them do it for you?

Dekhog

I uploaded them as presized and corrected pro only option. & made no changes to the colour profile (srgb)
Which worked out great, results are really good.
Some one mentioned in the thread the black borders may have been an issue but they are nice n sharp they really make normal 6x4 photos look great.

Thanks again for your help with this one.

Gaz

Back