DSLR DIY Slider

Edit My Images
No
Spent the past few weeks putting together a motorized DSLR slider, for video and timelapse. It runs on Arduino, I ended up building my own controller instead of using a pre-made shield.

I had a couple of hours spare yesterday so used it properly for the first time. I used a shoot-move-shoot mode, taking sequences of images as it travels along the rail. Shot with 5d Mk2, 28mm f1.8 and 100mm f2. Edited and rendered in After Effects

[VIMEO]61440552[/VIMEO]
The Factory on Vimeo

Looking really nice! Well done on the DIY slider. Would love to see a pic of the slider.

Awesome. looks great!

May I ask why you don't just shoot in movie mode and slide it? (I don't understand that is why I am asking!)

The finished video is very good.

The only problem with video is slight vibration of the gear/motor.. Its only slight and you can't notice at 28mm...to be honest 50mm is fine also, but at 100mm its quite noticeable. I would have used a DC motor over a stepper motor if I wanted to use it mainly for video :)

May I ask why you don't just shoot in movie mode and slide it? (I don't understand that is why I am asking!)

The finished video is very good.

Also, When you do timelapse with stills, you're getting super high res, top quality images to work with, and tweak more in post production. The difference between this and straight video, even on something decent like my d800, is massive.

Having said hat, it's a lot of work to produce footage that looks like normal video, rather than timelapse.

Nice work on the DIY slider bud, really impressive. I shelled out for a system based on igus rails and a slow motor etc. about £500 all in, would be interested to know what your set up ended up costing?

Last edited:
Also, When you do timelapse with stills, you're getting super high res, top quality images to work with, and tweak more in post production. The difference between this and straight video, even on something decent like my d800, is massive.

Having said hat, it's a lot of work to produce footage that looks like normal video, rather than timelapse.

Nice work on the DIY slider bud, really impressive. I shelled out for a system based on igus rails and a slow motor etc. about £500 all in, would be interested to know what your set up ended up costing?

Yeah, the resolution is another upside, better to work with (even if you do need a decent-ish computer to run AE quickly)

The most expensive part was the IGUS Rail and Dolly, just over £100.
I already had the Steel/Ally and Arduino (£12 usually I think)
Motor was about £15
Belt+Pulley about £10
LCD Shield + Motor Driver £20
Idlers were from an LTO Tape Drive I pulled apart.
Power Supply (Random 12v Battery with 7aH, or I use a converted computer PSU)

Think that about it, oh and the time to code it obviously :)

Cheers for the comments everyone.

This is something I really want to build. I've been looking at various designs and have settled for a rack and pinion drive with the motor, controller and power supply all mounted to the carriage, which would be captive to the rail. I had planned to the the Arduino board as well.

Thanks for your parts list, I may integrate some of them into my design.

Brilliant video!

Last edited:
Nice work foxy. I'd love one of these but am sadly lacking in money or any skills :)

I have the same problems!

Ebay do some by folk who've handmade the odd slider that looks quite reasonable.

I must save up more for this sort of thing!

I use a home made slider made using steel bars....heavy but solid and produces much smoother shots than the expensive brand names

Wouldn't mind seeing your set up.

I am not home at moment but will upload pic later tonite or tomorrow late - it is heavy to lug around but solid as a rock for ground/table shots......it obviously won't go on a tripod

It is something I would like to get at some point main use woukd be time lapse not got the skills to make one myself. Like the geni one very nice thanks for the link.

Yeah, the resolution is another upside, better to work with (even if you do need a decent-ish computer to run AE quickly)

The most expensive part was the IGUS Rail and Dolly, just over £100.
I already had the Steel/Ally and Arduino (£12 usually I think)
Motor was about £15
Belt+Pulley about £10
LCD Shield + Motor Driver £20
Idlers were from an LTO Tape Drive I pulled apart.
Power Supply (Random 12v Battery with 7aH, or I use a converted computer PSU)

Think that about it, oh and the time to code it obviously :)

Cheers for the comments everyone.

Bit dated this thread, but anyway!

Where did you get your motor, belt and pulley from?

Back