Dslr or dedicated video camera for my new baby?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
So I've got a little one on the way in a few months time and I'm trying to decide what's going to be best for me to capture those precious moments.

I had thought of using my Canon 60D with a Rode video mic but I want it to be really easy for my fiancé to use too which is where I'd thought a dedicated video camera would be better. Do you tend to agree?

I've been looking at the Canon Legira HF R506

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00HPWQ0KU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1402597215&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40

I have little experience with shooting video and I'm not wanting particularly professional results just something that will look half decent on a hd TV.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Also if mods think this would be better in the equipment section please feel free to move.

I've just had the use of a Sony camcorder, same price as that Canon, PJ220. Has a built in, weak projector which is a nice gimmick. Compared to my 60D a chimp or my 3 year old could use it and the results would far superior in terms of starting it to record (open the screen, press the button) to zooming and of course the most important, and most difficult the focusing. DSLR's as you know take amazing video but usability is way way down. I'd say get the camcorder personally. I got the Sony from QVC and they offer a 30 day, no quibble, get it out of the box, use it, use the memory card that comes with it refund guarantee so at least you can try it and if you don't like it send it back for the cost of postage.

I've just had the use of a Sony camcorder, same price as that Canon, PJ220. Has a built in, weak projector which is a nice gimmick. Compared to my 60D a chimp or my 3 year old could use it and the results would far superior in terms of starting it to record (open the screen, press the button) to zooming and of course the most important, and most difficult the focusing. DSLR's as you know take amazing video but usability is way way down. I'd say get the camcorder personally. I got the Sony from QVC and they offer a 30 day, no quibble, get it out of the box, use it, use the memory card that comes with it refund guarantee so at least you can try it and if you don't like it send it back for the cost of postage.

I'm definatley thinking the camcorders going to be so much quicker and more likely to get used. Now to decide which one...

Last edited:
In my opinion the shape of a DSLR is really not suitable for Video work, compared to a Camcorder. and as mentioned ease of use also comes into it.

Ive bought the model up from the one i listed in my op.
Its the legria hf r56. I had to keep it simple for my fiancé to be using too and got the potential to quickly pass it to a grandparent if i need too.
I'll hopefully upgrade into something a bit more pro one day but for the moment i think simplicity will be key. I spend enough time and money on Dslr as it is.

Using a DSLR does have the advantage of being able to use a single device for both still and movie so less gear to cart about - my nikon D610 dslr is really easy to use for videos - just click the live view button to enable preview then click the red button next to the shutter to stop and start recording.

unless hte person moves, or conditions change quickly or a host of other issues.
use a camera for a camera, a video camera for a video camera

unless hte person moves, or conditions change quickly or a host of other issues.
use a camera for a camera, a video camera for a video camera

It all ties down to using the correct tools for the job in hand.

Back