Beginner DSLR video?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67434
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67434

Hi everyone

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I thought it might be a bit too basic for the video section.

I'm looking to have a play with some video work. I've done some messing around with a GoPro and a video camera in the past but have got the bug to try something with a DSLR/M43 camera. Mostly I'd be wanting to film things from around my village and people doing the lovely things I can't do anymore (like surfing, mountain biking etc).

I've had a look around on eBay and seen that the NEX series cameras are going pretty cheap but how good are they for video work? I had an NEX a while back and it was OK for still work (no viewfinder = nightmare in bright light though!) but I never tried video. Or should I spend a little more and get something like a GH2? Ideally the GH3 would be perfect but cash is tight!!

Or is there something else worth considering? (My main camera is a d300 so can't use that!) I'd like to be able to control aperture and use different lenses so not really looking for a video camera unless there is one that can do that?

Thanks (and sorry for the random post, I should be more succinct)

Surely the cheapest and best way to do it would be to upgrade your body to a video capable one (if that's what you are pertaining to the d300 doesn't do) you can then use all your existing lenses.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'd rather keep the D300 and it would be cheaper to buy a second hand m4/3 with lenses than a second hand video capable DSLR body. Plus if I am out on the bike I can take a small m4/3 easier than a DSLR!

Upgrade to a D300S? It's not the best for video, but more than good enough for casual use if you're happy with 720P. It will also give you a D300 with live view for tricky manual focusing accuracy.

Like most older Nikons, you can;t change aperture while shooting, but you don't want to do that anyway... it looks crap!... you can see the 1/3rd step changes. Even though I can change aperture while shooting on the D800, I still preset exposure, and stick to it, and also use manual focus (otherwise you can hear it on the video... and the AF in live view is slow and crap anyway). Auto exposure and auto focus on a DSLR is a definite no no if you want to shoot anything that looks even halfway professional.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'd rather keep the D300 and it would be cheaper to buy a second hand m4/3 with lenses than a second hand video capable DSLR body. Plus if I am out on the bike I can take a small m4/3 easier than a DSLR!

If you want cheap you can get a Panasonic G2 for £99 from a well known used dealer (Ffordes) and you can mount a manual lens on it via a £10 adapter. Maybe a Minolta or Olympus mount 28mm f2.8 might do and if so you should be able to get one for £15-30 making your total spend (£99+10+15 to 30) something like £130-140.

I don't know how good this camera is at vid but I own a G1 which is mostly the same as the G2 apart from lacking the vid function and it gives very good image quality at low to medium ISO's with only the highest ISO settings needing care.

On ebay you can pick up DSLR canon 60d BODY ONLY for about $350 (lowest second hand maybe ) $400 (mid) bought mine on finance $700 with 18-138 lens.. good luck with your search

Back