Dunstanburgh Castle Sunrise

Cracking composition and execution of the shot but the colours don't seem to gel together for me for some reason with the grey and the orange?

A well lit beautiful image(y)

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You exposure I think is spot on there, perfectly controlled with detail still visible on the castle tower.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the composure though, it's too low for me - obviously low will work here, but I think that's too low. I've also got a nag about the headland being chopped off the left hand of the frame, seems somehow incomplete without it.

Great shot and well done for getting down there to take it.

Personally I'd crop a wee bit off the bottom as I find my eye too drawn to the large darker rock along the bottom and if you crop a bit of that out I think my eyes would be more drawn to look around the image.

But well done.

I love this iconic shot and travelled up there for it myself a few years back. I slipped on a rock and broke the front element of my lens, oops, lol

Anyway, love this version, the only element I would possibly change is the rocks look a little too bright, maybe the grad is a little heavy?

You exposure I think is spot on there, perfectly controlled with detail still visible on the castle tower.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the composure though, it's too low for me - obviously low will work here, but I think that's too low. I've also got a nag about the headland being chopped off the left hand of the frame, seems somehow incomplete without it.
Great shot and well done for getting down there to take it.

Personally I'd crop a wee bit off the bottom as I find my eye too drawn to the large darker rock along the bottom and if you crop a bit of that out I think my eyes would be more drawn to look around the image.

But well done.
I love this iconic shot and travelled up there for it myself a few years back. I slipped on a rock and broke the front element of my lens, oops, lol

Anyway, love this version, the only element I would possibly change is the rocks look a little too bright, maybe the grad is a little heavy?

Thanks for the helpful crit guys. All taken on board and will be applied next time round! (y)

White balance from sky to foreground is a mismatch, also hard grad is too low and not blending nicely.

Saying that, I like it lol :)

White balance from sky to foreground is a mismatch, also hard grad is too low and not blending nicely.

Saying that, I like it lol :)

Haha - I know what you mean. I was a bit disappointed with the schoolboy errors when I got it into PP. I sometimes find it hard to check the grad line in live view too, it doesn't appear very distinctly, might be better through the viewfinder. Always next time eh :)

Great shot Danny. With such a low viewpoint I really feel that I'm in the scene. I agree about comments regarding the use of the grad but also agree with your comment about being able to see the line at times.

Back