Dunstanburgh Castle Sunrise

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
After a little hiatus from Landscape Photography I decided to get my ass in gear and head up the coast to Dunstanburgh Castle in Northumberland for the sunrise.

Never been before so navigating my way down to the beach onto the slippery rocks was an ordeal but it's a beautiful unspoilt part of the world - well worth it and highly recommended!

Dawn At Dunstanburgh Castle
by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Great sky and a lovely silhouette and the foreground works very well too.(y)

I do like that, the rocks in the foreground make a much more interesting image. (y)

Thanks everyone. Really enjoyed getting back out there after too long out of action.

A really interesting perspective. The grad effect looks a little too harsh if anything. But it is a glorious shot ,

I'd possibly agree Matty.

Used .9 Hard Edge as I keep reading that it tends to be the 'go to' grad for a lot of people. Maybe the conditions were still a little dark.

Very nice, I'm up there over Xmas, you have inspired me to give it a try. :)

Popular locale but the very low perspective is a different take on it. When I'm back driving its one of the 1st places ill go back to, as I've only shot from the Craster side, not the Rocky beach side.

Interesting feedback about the grad. I reckon it's been placed a tad low or a soft grad might have been better

Last edited:
Popular locale but the very low perspective is a different take on it. When I'm back driving its one of the 1st places ill go back to, as I've only shot from the Craster side, not the Rocky beach side.

Interesting feedback about the grad. I reckon it's been placed a tad low or a soft grad might have been better

Took me ages to get my bearings - parked up and wandered about in the dark for half an hour to find where I wanted to be! Should have walked the path round the outside of the golf course then down to the beach rather than try and navigate the most slippy boulders on earth.

My first thought was to reach for a soft grad but the last few times I've used them they seem to have come up short somehow - especially with a low sun. Might be time to invest in a reverse grad.

Make sure to be careful. As Danny says the rocks are very slippy. Stay on the golf course until you get to its southerly end. If you try and approach from the beach, then you will probably come a cropper

I, and my sore backside, can testify to those rocks being treacherous. Hug the golf course all the way round until you get to where you want to be.

Fabulous image! I believe you can drive down to the beach at Embleton park up turn right and walk along the grassy path that edges the beach. Fantastic location.

Fabulous image! I believe you can drive down to the beach at Embleton park up turn right and walk along the grassy path that edges the beach. Fantastic location.

Thanks Maggie.

Wish I had you with me this morning! I parked up where you mentioned but headed straight down to the beach and the aforementioned rocks of death :)

Found the way you mentioned on the way back in the light. Much easier!

Yes I know them rocks are lethal! Especially in the dark. Well worth your effort though great shot you got:)

Great shot, I love the foreground rocks. Is this far from Banburgh?? I am planning a trip to Farnes Next June and might take in a few castles also.

Need to learn how to link to google maps like that......smart-arse :) :)

Yeah smart-arse:) That is where I was advising him to park (see previous post) but not able to do all that new fandangle stuff like inserting maps. :(

Pexcellent shot - like the colour. my dog nearly knocked himself out on those rocks the time i went

Back