Durdle Door - how to get there

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Planning a trip to Durdle Door (Dorset, south coast so anyone north of the M4 can most likely page back now :) )

Been to Lulworth Cove before and comfortable with the navigation by road to that neck of the woods. Just wondering where people recommend parking and how to get down there on foot - am I right in thinking access to DD is through the caravan park and atop the hill to the west of Lulworth Cove and if so is it just a public footpath or are there conditions of access like opening times and taxes. Last thing I want is to arrive at stupid o'clock, miss the best light looking for the place and then not have enough change for the meter :LOL:

Lastly, I've just weighed my case and it's tipping the scales above 20kg before tripod & biscuits - would I be best trying to shed weight before the trek?

TIA

I stayed on the caravan site at the top of the cliffs at durdle door when I was little. The steps are very steep, and it is a long way down. Down carry anything you don't need to, you only have to bring it back to the top again!

Yup, through the caravan park, then there's a parking field at the top of the hill. Then it's a walk down.

Or, if you're feeling fit, Park at Lulworth cove, walk the coastal path to durdle dor, then photograph that and lulworth cove and bits inbetween.

It's worth noting that the parking field is Pay & Display and is not free.

I think it's £4 for a 4 hour stay.

Im off to Weymouth on April the 22nd and plan on taking a trip there, ive been there before and was pritty easy when your not armed with 10kg photo equiptment lol :)

It's worth noting that the parking field is Pay & Display and is not free.

I think it's £4 for a 4 hour stay.

I looked up the holiday camp online and it's closed until March. Wondering if that changed anything I phoned them (01929 400200) and the advice is to use the pay & display between 10am and 4pm but the coach park just before the entrance to the holiday park is where it's at out of hours. Not sure about payment tho.

If you park at Lyme Bay be prepared for a long and very hilly walk west along the coastal path. The steps down to the actual beach are also silly steep and slippery when wet.

Awesome location though... really should go and take some shots myself !

I go to Lulworth/Durdle Door quite often and the huge car park at Lulworth Village is a bit of a rip off and I have sometimes seen handy free spots on the approach roads where I would park if I was togging alone, but if you are not alone then you likely have less choice if it means extra walking ;)

If you need any company give me a bell, sounds just as batty as our Leith Hill trip.

When I go I park in the layby outside the campsite (free) and walk in.

In the winter the gates get locked at 4pm and every time I go I see that somebody has failed to read the signs and then has to pay £20 to get someone to come and unlock the gate.

It takes about 15mins to walk to the beach at Durdle Door from the layby, 10mins if parking in the car park.

Back