Dust on my viewfinder,

Edit My Images
No
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove dust from the inside of a view finder, it's driving me mad! It's a canon 350d

I'd suggest it is only DIY for the brave.

You can buy 3rd party split screen style replacement focus screens. If you search Google you are bound to come across one. Not suggesting a new screen but they have pdf files you can download with instructions for removing and replacing the screen.

Whatever you do, do not attempt to shift it with the brush end of a lenspen :insert-embarassed-smiley-here:

Not that i've ever done that of course, oh no never not me never no never :D

Marcel said:
Whatever you do, do not attempt to shift it with the brush end of a lenspen :insert-embarassed-smiley-here:

Not that i've ever done that of course, oh no never not me never no never :D

I have done just that successfully. However I blew the brush with canned air first so it had a static charge and 'magic duster' ed the dust off.

I guess if you wanted to try that kind of thing properly you need to read up on the charged brush sensor cleaning method (something I have not tried ).
:)

This is something best left to a pro or you can end up with an awful mess. Have a look through Yellow Pages to see if you have any camera repairers in your area, who should be able to do the job in five minutes. The 20D has a removeable screen but don't be tempted to remove it. As it stands now the dust is probably on the outside (underside) of the screen. If you have difficulty getting the screen back in (and it's highly likely you will) you're likely to end up with dust, or worse, fingerprints, on the inside of the screen -effectively inside the prism housing. The inside surface, unlike the outside is a finely ground surface and will retain prints which can't be polished off.

Replacement screens come supplied with tweezers to assist fitting, but it's still a potentially troublesome job. I've made all the mistakes, so take my advice and don't do it. ;)

I have had dust in my viewfinder for ages, it's happened to every camera I have had, but in my opinion as long as you don't have dust spots on your pictures there's no point trying to do something about it......It's only gonna come back again sooner or later.

Back