Dust on slide film.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all.

Due to impatience I managed to cover a roll of Velvia 100 with dust during drying.
I fear the particulates are now bonded to the film surface by the stabilising fluid as neither compressed gas or brushing will remove the detritus.

Does anyone have a reliable method of cleaning slide strips in this condition?

I have considered warm washing the film for a while, wiping with a wet, lint free cloth and re-stabilising but I have no idea what this might do to the emulsion.

The images have no commercial value so damaging them is not an issue, more of a pain.

I haven't ever tried this myself, but Kodak seem to be agreeing with Chris that alcohol might be the answer! ;)

I read that too but, kodak assume the dust/whatever got on the film after processing ie, dry film.
The dust I have is most likely bonded to the film by the stabilising fluid as it was drying.
My first guess is that IPA won't dissolve the stabiliser.

A quick google suggests that the stabilising fluid is water based so a tepid bath MIGHT dissolve it and release the dust. As Chris said, try a corner or a single frame before risking the whole film!

A quick google suggests that the stabilising fluid is water based so a tepid bath MIGHT dissolve it and release the dust. As Chris said, try a corner or a single frame before risking the whole film!
That is my most likely course of action.
As I said, the images are of no value as they were just test shots from a new camera.

Back