DVD Drive for an iMac

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently bought a new iMac which, of course, doesn't have a CD/VD drive. Can anyone recommend a decent DVD drive? We have a Qubz one but it doesn't work particularly well and, even when it does, the slightest movement stops it which isn't very helpful when you have cats!

Alternatively, is there a way of connecting an actual DVD player to an iMac?

I bought a Samsung SE-208GB a few years ago for my iMac. It's a CD and DVD writer which connected via USB and didn't require any additional power source. It's a grey colour so it fits in nicely with the colour scheme. Doesn't seem to be available any more, but I would have thought most big name brands would be suitable. Always worth checking customer reviews on Amazon specifically for mentions of iMac.

I use a Superdrive on the rare occasions I need one. I bought it second hand years ago and it was overpriced even then :) But it works as well as you'd expect for some Apple Shiny.

Just checked the web - you can get a probably compatible drive for 20 - 25 or a Superdrive off of the 'bay for £40. Personally if I was buying another one I'd look on Amazon for something that says it's compatible but you may prefer the Superdrive.

eBay auction - obviously at the usual eBay risk.

The Samsung one works well enough. It’s very light and plasticky but I would think all of them will be, except maybe the Apple one, but that doesn’t have a great reputation and is expensive. I’ve only used it to copy CDs so can’t say about burning discs.

Thanks for the replies. There are so many different ones on Amazon, most of them brands I've never even heard of. I'm looking for something better than the Qubz one we've currently got but don't really want to spend out on the Apple one given it's probably no better than the others.

Not bothered about burning discs as it would be purely for watching TV/Movies.

Alternatively, is there a way of connecting an actual DVD player to an iMac?

Guessing this is a no? ^^^

Back