DVD or online box set for Mrs WW?

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Hi all.

Lord of the rings has been on Virgin recently and Mrs WW saw a bit and wanted to watch it so we watched The Hobbit films and then the LOTR ones and she enjoyed them especially the action and the special effects. Some of the beings puzzled her a bit as I don't think they have trolls and goblins in Thailand so she had to keep asking what and why but she coped :D and today she asked if there's anything similar we could watch.

I initially hadn't a clue but then I thought of Game of Thrones. I only watched a few minutes of one episode once and I hated it but I might be wrong about it :D and even if I don't like it it'd be worth sitting through it if Mrs WW likes it. So, if anyone has seen GOT do you think it'd appeal to someone who liked the Lord of the Rings films? One thing she doesn't like is sex scenes and excessive bad language (very moral the Thais) so if there are a lot of those in GOT it may not be suitable, I'd have to ask her. I see the box set is reasonably priced on Amazon.

Oh, and as I was typing this I thought of Harry Potter. I've never seen any of them though just the odd clip on tv as you do so I'm not really sure if they'll be too childish.

Any views on Game of Thrones or Harry Potter or is there anything else that might appeal to someone who liked LOTR?

Thanks if anyone can recommend something.

Last edited:
Harry Potter seems to be on a loop on Freeview. The early ones are lighter than the later ones (which get quite dark for "children's stories" IMO.)

Game of Thrones is full of nudity, sex , violence and strong language, especially in the the early series so I wouldn’t recommend it if your wife is sensitive that way. It’s a shame though, as it is a cracking series.

If you’ve got a dvd player then you can probably pick up the LOTR series dirt cheap now. I saw my local charity shop had a couple the other day…. dvd’s are so far out of fashion that they’re worth peanuts now. The charity shop were selling 10 dvds for a pound!

Go for the extended editions of LOTR if there’s a choice, they’re slightly longer, restore some of the deleted scenes and explain a couple of things in the storyline better.

if you can look at blu ray though DVD quality is poor now with large screen TVs for not much money you could swap your existing DVD player for a multi player and have best of both

Oh, and as I was typing this I thought of Harry Potter.
As already mentioned GOT is rather violent at times & some sex scenes.
Harry Potter is kids stuff, but with an adult twist, so suitable for all ages, apart from the last couple or so, when it does get a little "dark".

Game of Thrones is full of nudity, sex , violence and strong language, especially in the the early series so I wouldn’t recommend it if your wife is sensitive that way. It’s a shame though, as it is a cracking series.

If you’ve got a dvd player then you can probably pick up the LOTR series dirt cheap now. I saw my local charity shop had a couple the other day…. dvd’s are so far out of fashion that they’re worth peanuts now. The charity shop were selling 10 dvds for a pound!

Go for the extended editions of LOTR if there’s a choice, they’re slightly longer, restore some of the deleted scenes and explain a couple of things in the storyline better.

We have a lot of dvd's we still buy them and I'm a fan of them. As long as they're in good condition you don't get any issues that may crop up with streaming and you can watch them anywhere, even when the streaming platform isn't working (a regular thing with Virgin here) and another advantage is that if they stay in good condition you can watch them for years and they don't just suddenly disappear from the list of what can be streamed. Anyway. I have all The Hobbit and LOTR DVD's and that's what we watched. We just watched the theatrical release versions.

I think I'll avoid GoT as what you say reminds me more clearly of what I saw and I don't think it's for Mrs WW as she has a very correct and moral upbringing.

Thanks all,

So GoT is definitely out and Harry Potter will be worth a go to see if she likes it. If anyone can think of anything else that'd be good. Left to myself I'd rewatch Babylon 5 but unfortunately Mrs WW thinks it's ridiculous :D I also like Better Call Saul and I haven't seen the later series but it's too slow for her.

Just on the violence, she seems to like violent films so that in itself if the sex and language was toned down would be a plus. As above, she seemed to like The Hobbit and LOTR very much and they're violent but I think unless I've missed it totally lacking sex, nudity and even bad language.

Last edited:
Have you got Prime or Netflix? There’s a few similar things to LOTR that might appeal.

Rings of Power is a sort of prequel to LOTR, loosely based on Tolkien’s Silmarrilion book.

Wheel of Time is another fantasy series. The first series is a wee bit slow as there’s lots of character establishing but it improves vastly in series 2.

The Witcher is good, as already mentioned.

Vikings is excellent, especially the earlier series with Ragnar Lothbrook. It’s based on real historical events. Be warned though, it’s extremely gory at times. There’s also a follow up series Vikings Valhalla, but I’d watch the original Vikings series first to understand it better.

Last edited:
Have you got Prime or Netflix? There’s a few similar things to LOTR that might appeal.

Rings of Power is a sort of prequel to LOTR, loosely based on Tolkien’s Silmarrilion book.

Wheel of Time is another fantasy series. The first series is a wee bit slow as there’s lots of character establishing but it improves vastly in series 2.

The Witcher is good, as already mentioned.

Vikings is excellent, especially the earlier series with Ragnar Lothbrook. It’s based on real historical events. Be warned though, it’s extremely gory at times. There’s also a follow up series Vikings Valhalla, but I’d watch the original Vikings series first to understand it better.

Yes, we have Virgin. We watched the first series of rings of power and tbh having seen the films I was really disappointed with it. Now that she's seen the earlier films she might want to rewatch these but at the time she like me thought it poor.

Thanks for the other suggestions and I'll have a look at them but Vikings gets a no from me as I thought it just awful... and of course they were awful people and strange as it might seem I find it hard to enjoy films with them as the main "hero" characters. Sort of like having slave traders (which of course they were) as your main characters.

I got bored with that after a few episodes

I got bored with that also after a few episodes.

I felt the need to sit through it but if Mrs WW doesn't want to see it I think I'll be a bit relieved. I thought it was just awful and a typical modern ruinous interpretation. A bit like the new reimagined Azimov Foundation series which I also had looked forward to but hated.

Mrs WW said she'll have a look at Peaky Blinders. I've never seen it so it'll be new to me :D

Poor acting, crap story line, but apart from that it was OK :D

Yup. And with a large dollop of all the modern politically correct stuff. Hard to imagine how they could mess that and Foundation up so much.

Mrs WW said she'll have a look at Peaky Blinders. I've never seen it so it'll be new to me :D
Errr that's ( more than) a tad violent, swearing and some sex.
Its great (y)

Errr that's ( more than) a tad violent, swearing and some sex.
Its great (y)

As above she's ok with violence and I did tell her it's a gangster thing and she's ok with that but thanks for the sex and swearing info. I'll double check with her.

She'll probably then say "No." :D

Not a huge amount of sex, and not particularly graphic, but quite a bit of swearing.

Not a huge amount of sex, and not particularly graphic, but quite a bit of swearing.

Thanks.

I'll see what she says.

I've had a couple of ideas for one off films, Ironclad is one and I think I have the follow up too. They're very violent knights in armour films, no dragons or trolls though.

I've had a couple of ideas for one off films,
Star wars, episode VI ( a new hope, the 1st one) V ( the empire strikes back) & VI ( return of the Jedi)
Then the prequels, 3 of those, in order
1 the phantom menace
2 attack of the clones
3 revenge of the sith
it started to lose the plot after that IMO
No sex, no swearing, some violence, but not particularly graphic

Check out the Carnival Row series.

Star wars, episode VI ( a new hope, the 1st one) V ( the empire strikes back) & VI ( return of the Jedi)
Then the prequels, 3 of those, in order
1 the phantom menace
2 attack of the clones
3 revenge of the sith
it started to lose the plot after that IMO
No sex, no swearing, some violence, but not particularly graphic

You know, I'd completely forgotten Star Wars. Thank you. I'll mention that to her and see what she says.

Police Squad . . . lol

I did tempt her with the Pink Panther series of films and she loved them, she really did LOL. She even liked the Peter sellers film "Being There."

Maybe try her on Dr. Strangelove then.

John Wick 1 2 3 and 4

lots of violence
no sex scenes i can remember
some bad language

We've watched them all unfortunately and she did indeed like them (she does like her violence) although we both thought the last one got very silly.

Thanks for reminding me of them though and strangely for some reason your post reminded me of the Bourne movies. We've only seen one so maybe there are more of them I can point her at.

Not series.....

The Tomorrow War

The Great Wall of China (IIRC the title)

Both sci fi and dramatic effects and have violence!

Not series.....

The Tomorrow War

The Great Wall of China (IIRC the title)

Both sci fi and dramatic effects and have violence!

Seen them both, liked them both :D

Two others she liked recently. She laughed out loud at "Cocaine Bear" and "Violent Night."

Last edited:
Back