Dylan Thomas

nickEnackEnoo

Suspended / Banned
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I've taken quite a few photos of statues over the last few months and I really wonder why now. They don't really 'do it for me.'

I actually think thats a decent shot. Its an interesting statue, being seated, and I like the backdrop of the theatre which gives it context.

But as @lfc1892 says, it should be about what you like to shoot and not whether others will like it, and if its not doing it for you then why do it at all.

Nick,

there are several strategies that may be used to
render a difficult picture. Of course, it's all a matter
of taste when it comes to your final decision.

Here, I purposely exaggerated some tweaks using
layers adjustments: DR, split WB, TS, HLR etc and
is not a rendition suggestion but maybe it will inspire
you to explore.

Dylan%20Thomaspp.jpg

Cheers folks.

I took on a job that meant travelling round the country for a month, with plenty of free time to explore some aspects of photography. Although I intentionally framed the name of the theatre in the background, I didn't recognise at the time how unattractive the building was. Like I realised with landscape earlier this year, I don't have much of an eye for urban either :D
Thanks for the edit Kodiak

get closer and emphasise the bronze textures
b>w could be your way forward

I'd agree with mrtoad. On the occasions I've photographed statues (not that many, to be fair) they never really work if I get the whole subject in frame because they can often have cluttered and distracting backdrops. Getting in closer can allow you to cut it out or to seperate it better with a shallow depth of field. Here's a shot I took of the Sir John Betjeman statue in St Pancras station. None of the wider shots really worked, but I quite liked this close-up with the detailing in the sculpture visible, but the background softened nicely.

Sir John Betjeman by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'd agree with mrtoad. On the occasions I've photographed statues (not that many, to be fair) they never really work if I get the whole subject in frame because they can often have cluttered and distracting backdrops. Getting in closer can allow you to cut it out or the seperate it better with a shallow depth of field. Here's a shot I took of the Sir John Betjeman statue in St Pancras station. None of the wider shots really worked, but I quite liked this close-up with the detailing in the sculpture visible, but the background softened nicely.

Sir John Betjeman by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

I'd agree with that. The Betjeman statue is one that in such a busy place can be tricky to get a good shot.
Up close with a statue can work very well.. here's one I took of the Napoleon bust in the British Museum.
Napoleon Portrait by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

If you're unsure about what excites you photographically, the best thing is to try different styles, which you seem to be doing, but you do need to make sure you give it enough of a chance to get into it. IE you can't just dismiss one style after a week.

Last edited:
Back