E-Infinity .....is it safe?

Nope , just takes a week or so to arrive ,also check out panamoz and h.dew

No. I'd definitely recommend using E-infinity. They are generally the cheapest of the grey importers and no issues using them.

I've bought from them and returned an item (UK address) without any issues.

Absolutely fine. A touch slow to dispatch but that's normal for them.

I too have bought fairly regularly from them, the latest received Friday was a pocketable Sony RX100 MK 7. Took around a week, good tracking from DHL once in the UK. Previous acquisitions were shipped by UPS.

I've used them with no issues. Also used Panamoz.
Panamoz have a better warranty, 3 years UK v 1 year return to base.
I'd suggest reading the reviews.

I have bought two lenses from them with no problems at all.

I too have bought fairly regularly from them, the latest received Friday was a pocketable Sony RX100 MK 7. Took around a week, good tracking from DHL once in the UK. Previous acquisitions were shipped by UPS.
I’ve just bought a six from them. So much better with the small rig cage on it!

No problems. My stuff has usually been despatched Royal Mail, with a picture sent of the ready-for-despatch parcel. In fact I ordered a lens last Wednesday and it is currently in transit, expected Monday or Tuesday. I have also used Panamoz equally well. Just go with the one which is cheapest at the time.

I recently thought about ordering a lens from e infinity but camera in the post were cheaper so I went with them with no problems. The tracking info wasn't really too up to date but at least it did confirm that the lens had been despatched and then arrived in the UK.

It's a shame to do this and if there was a camera shop nearby I'd almost certainly buy from them, just like I used to years ago before they all closed down.

I've bought from e-infinity previously.
Recently I bought from panamoz.
Panamoz was £100 more expensive, but I got a 3 year transferable uk warranty, which was worth the extra £100 for me.
If price had been my only consideration I'd have bought from e-infinity.

I've bought from e-infinity previously.
Recently I bought from panamoz.
Panamoz was £100 more expensive, but I got a 3 year transferable uk warranty, which was worth the extra £100 for me.
If price had been my only consideration I'd have bought from e-infinity.
Panamoz didn't have stock. If price was equal and stock was available then yes, I would go for the one with longer warranty. If I recall, I bought from Panamoz in Feb 2019, because at the time they were cheaper and anyway they had stock. Although in 50 years of buying photographic equipment I have never once had to make a warranty claim. Nowadays, given my current health situation, a 3 year warranty may well outlast me.

Panamoz didn't have stock. If price was equal and stock was available then yes, I would go for the one with longer warranty. If I recall, I bought from Panamoz in Feb 2019, because at the time they were cheaper and anyway they had stock. Although in 50 years of buying photographic equipment I have never once had to make a warranty claim. Nowadays, given my current health situation, a 3 year warranty may well outlast me.
I've made one claim many years ago.
The transferable warranty may help get a slightly better resale price though if selling within 3 years.

Apart from defrauding HMRC if you do not declares the good, or helping a Hong Kong business avoide VAT, then the general opinion is they are ok.
This record is getting a little scratched now <<yawn>>

Firstly I should say that I have returned items to them with no problems. Support is good.

However, I was buying from them before the penny dropped in my head as to how they operate. As someone who imports and exports daily I have many years experience in arcane customs procedures. In short, EI are importing and under- declaring the value of the goods. Considering I have this background, in theory, HMRC could prosecute me for using them. I asked EI for a VAT receipt - and was told as I was buying from HK, no VAT was included. However, as anyone with a clue knows, if the goods are in the UK, then VAT has been incurred at some point. There are some firms who pay the VAT for you, but only if you give them a valid number.

EI are simply gambling that most of their imports will get in under the radar. I got my 5D4 in a box made for a much older and cheaper camera... Unless customs got really interested, they'd think I had a compact camera from 2008. If EI are clever, then they will be paying minimal duty, so registering a 200 quid value on a vastly cheaper model. The VAT officers think they are being honest in paying their 20 quid and everyone's happy.

I would investigate HDEW before IE. They include VAT and supply a receipt if asked. I sleep better now I use HDEW.

I sleep better now I use HDEW.
What exactly does this mean? From the HDEW website
HDEW Cameras As Agent
When you buy a product from our website,you are buying direct from our supplier.
HDEW Cameras will act as an agent between you and the supplier and your contract will be directly with them.The name and contact details of the supplier will be provided on your invoice.

If you come to collect the product from our UK premises or you are a business requiring UK vat supply then you can request this service and buy from HDEW Cameras. Further details are listed below under Intellectual Property Rights.

INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS.

Please note that by making a purchase on this website you will be acting as the importer of the product for all purposes including all customs regulations,copyright and trademark laws.You accept that the role of HDEW Cameras is limited to sourcing products and making them available for you to import directly from the country of origin.By purchasing a product through this website you authorise us to make arrangements for clearance of customs on your behalf for the products you have ordered.

However, I was buying from them before the penny dropped in my head as to how they operate. As someone who imports and exports daily I have many years experience in arcane customs procedures.
You seriously expect anyone to believe that? :LOL:

Is anyone naive enough to think that the HMRC don't know about this "loophole"? The clue is in the terminology - it's a GREY area and so the {present} rules are insufficient to determine if the practice is illegal. If the HMRC thought there was any mileage, they would close down this "loophole". It's not as if the websites concerned are on the Dark Web.

Don’t
Is anyone naive enough to think that the HMRC don't know about this "loophole"? The clue is in the terminology - it's a GREY area and so the {present} rules are insufficient to determine if the practice is illegal. If the HMRC thought there was any mileage, they would close down this "loophole". It's not as if the websites concerned are on the Dark Web.
There is no grey area as far as HMRC is concerned, the rules are simple, items imported over a certain value need to be declared for import duty and VAT. What’s grey about that?

What makes me laugh is so many so many people buying camera equipment seem to justify it because they are getting cheap gear, and to be honest, unless your my direct competition getting a commercial advantage by cheating the system, then I don’t care, but don’t try to pretend it’s anything other that tax evasion.

What exactly does this mean? From the HDEW website
HDEW Cameras As Agent
When you buy a product from our website,you are buying direct from our supplier.
HDEW Cameras will act as an agent between you and the supplier and your contract will be directly with them.The name and contact details of the supplier will be provided on your invoice.

If you come to collect the product from our UK premises or you are a business requiring UK vat supply then you can request this service and buy from HDEW Cameras. Further details are listed below under Intellectual Property Rights.

INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS.

Please note that by making a purchase on this website you will be acting as the importer of the product for all purposes including all customs regulations,copyright and trademark laws.You accept that the role of HDEW Cameras is limited to sourcing products and making them available for you to import directly from the country of origin.By purchasing a product through this website you authorise us to make arrangements for clearance of customs on your behalf for the products you have ordered.

It means you are responsible for the declaration for import duty and VAT and if there is any trademark/copyright issues by importing an item that was not intended for that country it’s your ass not theirs.

That said

HDEW or VALIDHIRST LTD do have a Vat number so are clearly VAT registered, so a VAT receipt wouldn't be a problem and as such means it all above board at your end.

Last edited:
Plenty, what’s your point ? Do your own research.
I have looked and researched this issue over VAT which includes asking these 'grey' imorters how they can sell the products at the reduced prices. I cannot find any evidence at all that the VAT is not paid.

Rathere than thinking one knows the reason why this equipment is cheaper it would be more interetsing to see facts or evidence that VAT and or import duties are being avoided.

As such please can you produce any evidence that VAT or and import duies are being avoided. Opinions don't count.

If there is plenty of evidence please produce it. I would like to see it. Thanks.

Of course they know - having been involved when HMRC came to visit a (wholly legal) biodiesel production facility they have a better grasp than most other enforcement agencies (including the rozzers) and more powers too.

The grey in the terminology isn't from the questionable legality of the practice, it's a PR thing from the manufacturers to corral the general hard-of-thinking public into thinking it is somehow dodgy - if I import something (that isn't otherwise prohibited like firearms, drugs) from abroad and pay all the taxes and duties due, then it's perfectly legal - the fact that the manufacturers are unhappy is neither here nor there. If I don't pay all the taxes and duties then it's straightforward a prima facie case of evasion (as opposed to avoidance, which is legal until proved otherwise) of tax with consequent penalties (fiscal & potentially custodial)

Perhaps HMRC are less bothered by the small fry not paying a small amount of VAT and are more concerned with multimillion pound carousel fraud? If these companies are facilitating the evasion of taxes and duties, you can be damned sure HMRC will have them on the radar.

I find it pathetic that this sort of thread descends into a discussion on the rights and wrongs of buying grey imports. If you don't like the idea don't do it but don't keep harping on about the same old chestnut.

I would investigate HDEW before IE. They include VAT and supply a receipt if asked. I sleep better now I use HDEW.

HDEW pull the wool over your eyes too though, their prices on some items have risen and they claim they are on sale - example: I paid £129 for a lens on there last year, it wasn't on sale that was the default price. The same lens is now £149, and HDEW claim it is on sale and that the original price was £159 ... also, they are only good for Canon or M43 gear nowadays. They don't do Fuji, Nikon or Sony

Apart from defrauding HMRC if you do not declares the good, or helping a Hong Kong business avoide VAT, then the general opinion is they are ok.

It's really none of your business where others buy from, let alone anything concerning their taxes. You've had your rant, time to get over it

I believe the OP was more asking were they reliable to buy from. And yes, it seems they are. I just placed my first order from them last Sunday and acc to DHL tracking it has arrived in this country [Ireland, so I don't really give a hoot about HMRC] and I should have it tomorrow.

Last edited:
I got my 5D4 in a box made for a much older and cheaper camera... Unless customs got really interested, they'd think I had a compact camera from 2008.

Why do people feel the need to make up complete and utter nonsense on the internet? That never happened.

They ship into the u.k by unknown methods then ship out to the customer from a uk address via Royal Mail. Equipment from them always comes in the box it is supposed too.

Back