E & L insurance claim - repair estimates?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I have made a claim with E&L - I have been using them for probably over 4 years and this is the first claim I've made.

I've basically dropped my camera and cracked the casing of lens and my D70 seems to keep clicking and the flash doesn't stay down (there's probably other damage to lens mount etc as well.

E&L however have asked me to get 2 quotes for repair to prove the kit is beyond economic repair. Everyone I've called want's £25/£20 for this and E&L won't pay for this cost! Mad setup!

Does anyone know of any repair shops in Birmingham or Coventry? that might be able to take a look and just give me a quote saying beyone economic repair - the camera may be repairable but I doubt it! I'm sure it'd never function properly after a repair.

Thanks.

I doubt many places will do a free estimate, especially if it's an old camera like the D70 and as damaged as yours sounds and they're not going to get any work out of it.

Personally I'd pay the £25 and them get on with the battle of trying to extract money from E&L - best to thoroughly read their terms and conditions before submitting a claim, so that you don't inadvertently give them a reason not to pay out...

Oh and :welcome: to TP :wave:

A J Johnson will do a free estimate as well - I asked them how much it would be to do a bit of work on one of my "classic" lens.

Thank you for your enquiry, due to the nature of the fault we would need to
examine the equipment extensively before we could advise of the cost to repair.

Please forward the equipment to us with a copy of our emails, and we will
provide you with an estimate free of charge, which may be useful if you are
making an insurance claim against the equipment.

Further information is below if you wish to forward your camera to us, including
all our contact details and opening hours:-

Regards

• If your camera is suffering from:-
 power fault please include your batteries. We do not need any other
accessories
 memory card fault please include ALL your cards, as you cards may be damaged.
We do not need any other accessories
 image fault please include a memory card with example images. We do not need
any other accessories

• Please include a copy of your receipt of purchase if covered under warranty
• Always include a copy of our emails enabling us to speed up the service we
offer
• We would advise packing your camera in a sturdy box with plenty of packing and
using Royal Mail Special Delivery which insures your contents for up to £500

A. J. JOHNSTONE & CO LTD

395-399 Central Chambers

93 Hope Street

Glasgow.

G2 6LD

Hours of Business: Mon – Fri 9am – 5.15pm, Thurs 9am – 7pm, Sat 10am -12pm

TEL:- 0141 221 2106 : FAX :- 0141 221 9166

When I was last in they were quoting a pensioner £100 to fix his Coolpix 2100, which were selling on Ebay at the time for around £15....

Oh, and he left it for repair...

Probably Nikon is your best bet, they will probably just write it off, and try and find a local camera store (depending on where you are) who may do the same, amazing how you don't find out how good an insurance company is until you make a claim :shake:

When I was last in they were quoting a pensioner £100 to fix his Coolpix 2100, which were selling on Ebay at the time for around £15....

Oh, and he left it for repair...

Bit of a rip off, but I guess for an insurance claim its better to have it over rather than under..

Although Nikon will give a free estimate anyhow, just have to pay return postage if you don't fancy it.

I thought it would be the insurance peopel that would decide on the out come. It just shows its not a technical insurance company, jsut a few words on a policy and a risk assesment dept.

shame.

The best thing to do if you need to make a claim is say you dropped it off a boat when you were out at sea :LOL:

My misses had a dink in her car and Diamond (The big insurance company) asked her to get quotes for repair for it. So its not just small insruance companies or anything like that

I dropped my 24-120 and smashed it & the CPL - my insuarance uses an assesor & I posted it to them (they refunded the postage), they assesed it at thier premises & the insurers agreed a payout in 3 days ...

I'm with endsligh student insurance, called em up explained the fault they sent courier to get my cam then called me a few days later saying it was deaded (I knew that before it went :D) and would a new boxed upgrade be ok.
The only disagreement was that i asked for the cash so i could buy a 40d (or they give me a 40D) and they said no i had to have the direct upgrade (i had a 400d and it was out of production)

do you know any local small shops that would look at it immedietly say is irreperable and give you an estimate to that effect, them and NIKON could be a good bet?

thanks for all the replies!

I think since I've made this claim with E&L and doing a bit more research about e&L they are rubbish - I've read nothing but bad reviews regarding all their insurance poliices - caravan/pet etc!

I'm going to cancel as soon as this claim is settled - if they pay up! - claim started around 7th december!

my brother-in-law is a manager at a big chain electrical store - he's going to get their engineers to provide a report saying it's unrepairable but I need another camera shop locally...

I think it's daft pay 2 shops £30 each for repair quotes, then insurance excess (I think £150) and get whatever they offer you!

E&L however have asked me to get 2 quotes for repair to prove the kit is beyond economic repair. Everyone I've called want's £25/£20 for this and E&L won't pay for this cost! Mad setup!

It's standard insurance policy not to pay for reports such as these. Just because they've asked for two though doesn't mean that they need to. One report stating that it is beyond economically viable repair should be sufficient. They only really need two if it's an estimate for repair so give them a call and negotiate on that, especially as it will cost £60 just for the reports.

Hmmm. As someone who has just got a snd hand D70 I'm probably going to be looking for insurance to cover it. Is there any auggestions of where to go? Is there a thread?

Hmmm. As someone who has just got a and hand D70 I'm probably going to be looking for insurance to cover it. Is there any suggestions of where to go? Is there a thread?

I'm with endsleigh for my student insurance (came with halls) and i have added my camera kit, would consider a proper photographic firm next year.
Very satisfied with endsleigh but wonder at more photocentric options

Hmmm. As someone who has just got a snd hand D70 I'm probably going to be looking for insurance to cover it. Is there any auggestions of where to go? Is there a thread?

Why do you need insurance? Weigh up the cost of insurance premium, plus the excess f you make a claim, and you'll not be far of the cost of replacing a D70. Okay, so is you lost it and had a new for old policy you'd get a new camera instead, but I'd say that it's not really worth getting insurance for such a small sums insured.

Why do you need insurance? Weigh up the cost of insurance premium, plus the excess f you make a claim, and you'll not be far of the cost of replacing a D70. Okay, so is you lost it and had a new for old policy you'd get a new camera instead, but I'd say that it's not really worth getting insurance for such a small sums insured.

Don't forget to consider the cost of replacing lenses and accessories which often can far outweigh the cost of replacing a body.

Back