Beginner Eager to learn!

Edit My Images
No
Hello, my name is Jaydie and I'm from Pembrokeshire. I've always had a massive interest in photography and it's only really been the past 2 years that I've considered making it more of a hobby.
I have a Canon EOS 100D with just the standard 18-55 lens it come with currently.
My main interest will be action/portrait photography, and I aim to provide a professional service in providing family/infant/newborn images. I have two little ones of my own, amongst friends who have younger children to get plenty of practice, and I have some images which I'm personally proud of, however I know I can do a lot better.
I've just invested in back drop equipment along with the basic green, black and white screens along with two 115w umbrella lights.
But from there I'm not 100% confident. I'll attach a few photos below which I have taken and lightly enhanced just to show an example of what I've been doing.
Any feed back is welcome, along with some tips and pointers in the right direction!
Thank-you [emoji5]

I've just invested in back drop equipment along with the basic green, black and white screens along with two 115w umbrella lights.

Hi Jaydie, I've just replied to your other thread.

I'll just add that I'd recommend putting the green screen in the loft. I'll also reiterate a commonly held view that those low power fluorescent lights will be largely useless for portrait photography unless you can get someone to sit really still. I'm guessing slightly and it depends on how you measure it but I reckon a cheap flashgun will output 10-100 times more light than your constant lights; a similar cheap studio strobe will give you even more.

The best way to use what you've got will be to put both bulbs into one umbrella, get it as close to your subject as possible and forget about trying to get a pure white background for now.

You might want to pop into this lighting forum here on TP.

Hi Jaydie, I've just replied to your other thread.

I'll just add that I'd recommend putting the green screen in the loft. I'll also reiterate a commonly held view that those low power fluorescent lights will be largely useless for portrait photography unless you can get someone to sit really still. I'm guessing slightly and it depends on how you measure it but I reckon a cheap flashgun will output 10-100 times more light than your constant lights; a similar cheap studio strobe will give you even more.

The best way to use what you've got will be to put both bulbs into one umbrella, get it as close to your subject as possible and forget about trying to get a pure white background for now.

You might want to pop into this lighting forum here on TP.
Thank-you for the advice. I am super beginner when it comes to the lightening, especially when it's artificial. I will take a peak in the thread and see if I can pick up any more tips! Thank-you.

Thank-you for the advice. I am super beginner when it comes to the lightening, especially when it's artificial. I will take a peak in the thread and see if I can pick up any more tips! Thank-you.
Just to add to what Simon said - if it's not too late - return the flourescent light kit. It's buying more problems to solve.

Windowlight is a fantastic starter light source (and it's free). Following that with an inexpensive flash starter set is easy, start simple, save your money till you understand the problems you're trying to overcome.

Back to your previous issues with colour temperature using the ceiling light. The flourescent lights look easy because you can see what they're doing, but the reality is the opposite.

You seem to have an instinctive connection to kids, especially with the importance in getting down to their level which results in much better photos.

Just keep taking loads of shots of them and bin the bad ones (OOF, blurred etc) then everyone will think you're the greatest!:)

And Phil V's comment about window light is absolutely spot on, as is bounced flash off a ceiling etc, as long as you do a white balance custom set up.

Back