Early start photoshoot, what time?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I've been asked to do a musician photoshoot in some woodland with some Yew Trees in Kingley Vale

I've not been there before and I don't have time to check it out before Sunday.

What time does anyone recommend we go? sunrise is just gone 6am, I was thinking 7:30am but she would get up as early as we want, is it worth getting up earlier?

better to be there too early than too late, saying that its easier to gauge sunset as you can get set up in light conditions then wait for it, much m,ore comfortable

It'll take 55 minutes to drive there, 10 minutes walk from carpark and sunrise is at 6am, so I'd need to get up about 4:30am

The shoot will be inside the woodland, probably something like this

Now I've taken the dogs for an early walk before and seen magic light coming through the leaves - but it's not guaranteed by a long shot and whether it's necessary to be there for 6am is something I've never tried before.

But yes we could go at the end of the day instead.. maybe that would be a better plan.

It'll take 55 minutes to drive there, 10 minutes walk from carpark and sunrise is at 6am, so I'd need to get up about 4:30am

The shoot will be inside the woodland, probably something like this

Now I've taken the dogs for an early walk before and seen magic light coming through the leaves - but it's not guaranteed by a long shot and whether it's necessary to be there for 6am is something I've never tried before.

But yes we could go at the end of the day instead.. maybe that would be a better plan.
have a look on photo ephemeris, it will show you direction and times of sunrise and sunset, golden hours etc, really good app, you can pinpoint your location, not just today but way into the future so you can plan

Shooting at sundown you get there early and waqit on ythe light. Day break you also get there early and wait on the light!

Shooting at sundown you get there early and waqit on ythe light. Day break you also get there early and wait on the light!

Yea ok, I’m just over thinking the need to get up so early.

I have no idea on sun positioning compared to location, how dense the woodland is or what is too cloudy.

Im left wondering if I bother arranging it for before 6am, or just shoot at a reasonable time.

Sun direction

I’ve never been and I don’t what the trees best sides are or the direction we will be shooting. But I’ll keep it in mind when I know more.

I planned to take lighting as I didn’t know how much would get through the leaves anyway

Good luck getting a musician up that early! :ROFLMAO:
Unless you're travelling together I'd get there before the "Talent" is due to arrive so you can suss the place out.

She says she will get up at the crack of dawn if I want her to, but to get there for sunrise I have to get up at 4:30am.

She also knows where we are going, I do not. I know which car park to meet her.

I don't think you need to get up so early unless you use some artificial light to lighten the musician... different matter if you were going there for the landscape but for portraiture the sun definitely needs to be hitting the subject. And if it is golden light, even better!

Earlier the better! Just remember the light in woodland is quite often very dark - even on a nice sunny morning, so consider camera speeds etc.

Back