eBay - am I being scammed?

I never use bid auctions now for the exact reason you encountered. As soon as bidding starts, the item cant be ended without paying seller fees. I suspect that in the small print of the £1 offer is something which says this only applies if the item is actually sold. I have switched over to Buy it now on everything and charge the going price - if it takes a bit longer to sell it's ok as it saves the hassle. Buy-it-now also allows you to set it so buyers have to pay straight away or lose the item.

I would suggest using E-Bay live chat and explain that it's a genuine mistake due to several listing errors. They can be quite accommodating to mistakes, especially first time.

Thanks. It’s my partners account, she rang them and she said they will refund it on this occasion.

OP here, with an update.

I had a couple of weeks of toing-and-froing with the buyer of my item. I sent her links to all the diagnostic and troubleshooting advice I could find, and she just replied saying yeah, I've done all that, it's still not working. This in itself made me even more suspicious, because one of the procedures is essentially a low-level hard disk check which runs overnight, and by all accounts the unit is *very* good at recovering from disk errors. I advised the buyer to try it, she replied within 5 minutes that she had; and yet she hadn't bothered to mention this important fact previously. How strange.

Anyway last Friday, 9 days ago, I formally rejected the request for a refund:
I'm sorry <name>. I've given this some thought, but I'm going to have to decline your request for a refund. You received the item on 6th December, but you didn't say anything about a problem with it until 2nd February. That's 58 days later. The eBay rule is that you have to request a return within 30 days of receipt - see <link>.

Let's face it: the unit was working when you received it. If it did fail after 58 days, that's unfortunate, but it's just bad luck. It was in perfect working order when you received it and there was no way I could have known that it might fail. Electronic devices do fail sometimes and they aren't predictable. It's just bad luck.

But also, from my point of view, if I accept a return I don't know what I'm getting. Has the unit been dropped? I don't know. Has it been damaged by your 6-year-old nephew spilling a sticky drink into it? I don't know. You might not even know.

So, bottom line, I'm not accepting a return. Sorry.

I haven't heard a peep from her since. And the money has been unfrozen in PayPal. Result!

Last edited:
Well done for sticking with that. Glad to hear they haven’t got away with it!

I haven't heard a peep from her since. And the money has been unfrozen in PayPal. Result!

Glad it appears to be sorted.

I've been scammed twice now on ebay, both with very similar situations that you've gone through.

The first was when I sold a piece of musical studio gear, a 1 unit rack limiter I think. I bought it, realised I did need it, and just flipped it. My mistake was I used the original sellers description and photos as I'd literally bought it days before - pretty lazy really as it bit me on the arse! The unit never came with a power supply, but anyone who has a load of gear just unplugs one item and plugs another in, it's no big deal. This buyer, after 2 weeks, said it didn't have a power supply, I informed him that the advert never mentions a power supply or has a photo of a power supply, if it did have a power supply it would have been mentioned in the advert. To cut a very long exchange of emails short, he reported me for the item being damaged (which he never mentioned in the first email), PayPal froze my account (in December when I use it the most for Christmas presents), and ebay gave me a stern warning that if I don't refund the money then they will charge me for the sale as well. I fought it with a load of evidence - did f*** all good because the morons at ebay just sided with the buyer. When the item came back it was a clear that he buyer had had a pair of pliers on the rack ears, bending them back so it couldn't be mounted anymore. Thanks ebay!!!!

The second one (funnily enough, at Christmas time again) was for an old, hardly used Canon 10D & kit lens. Came with cards, charger and a few other bits I threw in there. I think all in it sold for less than £100 including £12 shipping. I rushed it to the guy and increased the postal service so that he received it on the 23rd December (last post) rather than it sitting in a cold warehouse over Christmas. On boxing day he tells me that the lens had mildew on it - it did not, it was immaculate. I toldl him to just send it back and I'd give him a full refund as I knew the camera was mint and I knew I could just sell it on again. The guy didn't want to send it back he wanted a partial refund. I knew he was trying it on and I knew that ebay would side with him so I decided to take it on the chin and refund him the entire price of the lens - I think it was about £30 when I looked on replacement lenses on ebay. The guy was furious - he wanted 50% back plus the shipping cost because he felt that I'd charged too much. Not only that, he wanted me to put it into his PayPal account as a separate payment. His ebay account was blocked form leaving any feedback and he didn't have it showing. Turns out when I searched for the guys ebay name he'd done the same thing for other camera gear twice. I ended up refunding half the shipping separately if he cancelled the refund claim with ebay.

(I still keep these people on my ebay sellers list and I check in from time to time to see if they list anything and when they do, I'll be buying and then I'll screw them over just like they screwed me - trouble is, they never list anything!)

If I'm selling anything of value then it's collection only AND cash only. I've had someone mistakingly day me via PayPal who wanted to collect and I refunded them immediately. They did pay in cash as it turned out. The reason you must insist on cash is because they can pay you via PayPal, collect the item from you, then claim the payment back stating they sonnet have the item because there's no proof of postage. Genuine buyers understand this when you tell them the reason and there's no issue for them because they're playing straight. Anyone who comes up with excuses is just trying it on.

I would NEVER buy an iphone or iPad or anything like that unless I can collect (although I did buy an iMac from ebay but I did my homework and checked the seller out fully)

Anything else I sell I always mark the items with a blacklight pen and take photos of the markings, plus the packaging process, so that I have evidence that the item was packaged correctly. Although I go through all this effort, I know that it's probably pointless when dealing with moron ebay employees that can't make the right decision based on factual evidence. It's b******t that you can't leave negative feedback for a buyer and that in reality, its the buyers who win every time - apart for the scammers selling boxes full of books instead of iPhones & iPads!

Last edited:
OP here, with an update.

I had a couple of weeks of toing-and-froing with the buyer of my item. I sent her links to all the diagnostic and troubleshooting advice I could find, and she just replied saying yeah, I've done all that, it's still not working. This in itself made me even more suspicious, because one of the procedures is essentially a low-level hard disk check which runs overnight, and by all accounts the unit is *very* good at recovering from disk errors. I advised the buyer to try it, she replied within 5 minutes that she had; and yet she hadn't bothered to mention this important fact previously. How strange.

Anyway last Friday, 9 days ago, I formally rejected the request for a refund:

Glad to hear it!

I mentioned some pages ago about my phone bought off eBay having a fault on delivery. The seller wasn't particularly helpful, in terms of wanting to claim on the delivery insurance (had underpaid for item value!) or investigate the possibility of remaining warranty, but did at least talk to me. As I didn't get anywhere with him, I rung Google who replaced it no questions asked with a 36hr turnaround! 10/10 to them.

Well, I’ve read through this thread and you’ve helped me reach a conclusion. I’ve quite a few Nikon items to sell, Camera and three lenses. I’ve had a quote from MPB today and was mulling over whether to accept that or sell on Ebay where I think I could getter a better price. I’ve decided MPB, couldn’t bear to have all that sort of hassle with eBay.
Thanks guys:)

Well, I’ve read through this thread and you’ve helped me reach a conclusion. I’ve quite a few Nikon items to sell, Camera and three lenses. I’ve had a quote from MPB today and was mulling over whether to accept that or sell on Ebay where I think I could getter a better price. I’ve decided MPB, couldn’t bear to have all that sort of hassle with eBay.
Thanks guys:)

Have you considered trying the classifieds here? You might make a little more than MPB offer.

Back