eBay have 'shafted' (ouch) me !

badlywornroy

I am not macho
Name
Roy
Edit My Images
No
I recount this tale in the hope that someone has experienced similar and can offer words of wisdom ?

I have been on ebay since 2003, 449 feedback @ 100% so could I be called a 'good customer' ?

Almost exclusively buying the last few years, I found there were less 'stressful' places to sell.

So out of the blue I get a " Get your sell on with max £1 eBay selling fees* " message from ebay.

I have never used this promotion before but It just so happens I have a lens I have been thinking of selling, so what's to lose ?

Listed yesterday and I accepted a 'best offer' this morning, Sold for £373.00. Lovely Jubbly :D

Ok, so as per new ebay payments I checked my previously registered bank account to see: Amount: £373.95 Fees: -£48.17 Net: £325.78

Pretty obvious that I have been charged 'full' fees.

I accessed ebay 'chat' and spoke to a nice lady (Beth) who after some investigation said I had been "charged full fee because there was no activated promotion by the time that this item got listed "

Now, call me a 'plank' (if you must) but at 74 I would never claim to be the brightest bulb in the pack and without it being a conscious choice it appears I listed then activated. Remember, I am new to this.

Everything else was in order *Valid from 02 Apr 2021 until 05 Apr 2021. This promotion is by invitation only and applies to Roy R****** (h********); not transferable.

I have gone through the Terms and Conditions and all I find that is relevant is this:

* Listings must start during the promotional period

* Listings can be auction-style or fixed price format

* Pay a maximum of £1 per listing in final value fees if the item sells. Other fees, including any International fees, still apply.

* The promotion start and end dates are included in the email we send to invited sellers.

Nothing, zilch, nada that says Activate before Listing. Yes, yes in hindsight maybe it's common sense ? But I followed all the 'written' rules.

I have 'pleaded my case' and now I wait on the largess of ebay for my rightful (imo) payment.

Should they decide not to pay me ? I guess the only leverage I have is to retain the lens, inform the buyer what has happened and ask him to claim his payment back. I doubt I will go down this

road because the buyer is blameless but would I get satisfaction knowing ebay had to unravel this mess and return his money ? . . . . . Hell, yes I would.

How much would the lens likely have sold for on here, just trying to offer some consolation.

Sorry to say yes it was your fault for not reading the t and c's.
Sure you wont blow the buyer out knowing how unethical that would be.

How much would the lens likely have sold for on here, just trying to offer some consolation.

Sorry to say yes it was your fault for not reading the t and c's.
Sure you wont blow the buyer out knowing how unethical that would be.

I read the T and C's (I even quoted the only relevant parts)

If you are referring to " Listings must start during the promotional period "

Well the promotional period was (02nd - 05th and I started it on the 4th

Please tell how you come to your conclusion ?

Last edited:
I read the T and C's (I even quoted the only relevant parts)

If you are referring to " Listings must start during the promotional period "

Well the promotional period was (02nd - 05th and I started it on the 4th

Please tell how you come to your conclusion ?

Because when I have had these promotions they make it clear you need to activate or claim them.

Are you sure the e-mail said SELLING FEES and not LISTING FEES?

Could you post a copy of the e-mail, obviously redacting any personal information.

Here is the offer:

i-Ht3r6ZR.jpg

Because when I have had these promotions they make it clear you need to activate or claim them.

Sorry, sounds like you are saying they give you more information than I have been given ? I will repeat myself, I did activate the offer, straight after I listed it. Again to repeat myself
nowhere does it say Activate before listing. In fact there is no help or information about activation just that Activate Offer notation on the email. The ebay lady I spoke to agreed I had activated the offer.

Just looked at the offer I received and it clearly says in the t and c's

Before your 100 listings start, you need to have actively opted in to the promotion via the RSVP link shown in the marketing communication

Last edited:
Just looked at the offer I received and it clearly says in the t and c's

Before your 100 listings start, you need to have actively opted in to the promotion via the RSVP link shown in the marketing communication

Please post a copy so I know what I’m looking for and where to look would help

P.s

Last edited:
Ok, I read through the T & C’ and found where it said activate promotion before listings start. Guess I f***ed up by not reading full T & C’s.
Guess I will after ‘ throw’ myself on ebay’s Mercy. :rolleyes:

Ok, I read through the T & C’ and found where it said activate promotion before listings start. Guess I f***ed up by not reading full T & C’s.

Good luck with that.

On the contrary eBay have been rather "merciful" multiple times for me for such screw ups and they have written off the fees. I have just been nice and apologetic to the person on the chat line and they normally sort it out for me.
The only time I failed was when I tried to out do them using the T&Cs and realised I'd never win on that front with them.
So it's best to just own up and ask.

I do sell loads of stuff on eBay so that may have something to do with them being nice to me. Having said that I have half the amount of feedback OP has.

Last edited:
On the contrary eBay have been rather "merciful" multiple times for me for such screw ups and they have written off the fees. I have just been nice and apologetic to the person on the chat line and they normally sort it out for me.
The only time I failed was when I tried to out do them using the T&Cs and realised I'd never win on that front with them.
So it's best to just own up and ask.

I do sell loads of stuff on eBay so that may have something to do with them being nice to me.

That's good to hear. (y)

i use the one pound offer loads what the issue?
the big "activate offer " button ?

Sorry Roy but you shoulD have activated it first ,I have sold hundreds of pounds worth of gear on the £1 selling fees and its always worked for me .you must sell within the listing time though I.e list for 7 days it has to go in that period

Ive used the £1 promotion several times in fact wait for it deliberatly to maximise what Ill get for bigger items. Always have to activate the offer though, it's be big button you missed that says "Activate"
Hopefully they will be merciful to you though especially as you had a specific email to you and your account.

Yes I have been "done" before by them, similarly accepting a promotion whereby I was getting a discount on the selling price of the item I was buying. When I enquired as to why the discount was not given they insisted that item was not in the promotion ! I wished at the time I had taken a screenshot of the page !!!

To be fair, you didn’t need to read the T&C’s to know, it’s not like they hide the fact the offer needs activating...

E426C73B-6573-45EA-8B9A-1C8B382F2306.jpeg

To be fair, you didn’t need to read the T&C’s to know, it’s not like they hide the fact the offer needs activating...

View attachment 314646

Thanks for the big red arrow but I'm getting a headache repeating myself, hear goes again I did activate the promotion ! about 30 seconds after I listed the item.

N:B It would be very very easy for ebay to change that Activate Offer to . . . . Activate Offer before Listing .. . so we didn't have to wade through the T & C's small print to avoid 'Gotcha's'

eBay acknowledge they could do better because they are reimbursing me the lost funds. :D

Last edited:
I did activate the promotion ! about 30 seconds after I listed the item.

Is that a bit like buying your car tax 30 seconds after the cops pull you over for being untaxed?

eBay acknowledge they could do better because they are reimbursing me the lost funds.

A good result, and well done to eBay for going beyond what they had to, good customer service.

Back