eBay new member wants to buy?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Okay, so everyone has to start a new thing at some stage, including people new to the eBay auction site.
I've got some kit listed that I have received an offer on from someone who registered for eBay just 5 days ago and has no feedback.
Whilst the offer is reasonable, (yet not stupidly attractive), I am worried about the potential buyer ... should I be?
If it's a scam, (I will only post to Paypal address), what redress, if any, do I have with eBay/Paypal?

Roger I sold something of quite high value to a new member recently and all went through ok, the thing to be careful of is only accepting payment from the person and making sure that payment and address to be shipped to is verified address this is what covers you with paypal. Also make sure you log on directly to paypal not via emails to check payment is received as some scammers can email you a fake payment confirmation

Is it an amount you're prepared to lose?

My wife buys and sells lots on eBay. Some buyers are honest, some aren't. Obviously newer accounts are riskier. eBay doesn't allow you to ban 0 feedback members from buying - after all, they have to start somewhere like you say. But I would be very wary of selling anything high value to a 0 feedback member.

Dispute resolution I would say, often sides with the buyer. You send the item, they receive it and say it's not what they ordered and send back a broken version of your thing, or (worse) an empty box. As soon as they say they've shipped it back to you, Paypal will often refund them (taking it from you). These problems are often mitigated by checking feedback. Which you can't do as they have none.

If that were me, I'd cancel the sale unless it were under my "Prepared to lose" threshold. If you decide against that, then I would video yourself packing it up, weighing it and sending it off. Make sure the eBay address is the same as the paypal address. Get proof of delivery. If they send anything back, video yourself receiving it from the postman, weigh it to make sure it's the same weight as you sent, and open it in front of someone (while videoing). If it turns out to be empty or broken (or if you're lucky has a different serial number) you will need to open a case with eBay. I would also open a case with the police (it's fraud) and include the police case reference in the eBay case as that will strengthen your claim. If the address that you send to is common across other eBay accounts the cops will have a better idea than you.

Ultimately though, you could still lose your item and your money which goes back to my initial query. Are you prepared to lose? I stopped selling anything worth more than about £30 on eBay a long time ago, my wife still does it. It causes her an inordinate amount of stress. People get stuff, get buyers remorse, then make up stuff to say there's something wrong with it. You then have to take it back and give a refund.

To me the fact they made an offer rather than outright just buy it means there is a good chance they are legitimate. After all, a scammer wouldn't worry about saving a few quid on something they (eventually) aren't going to pay for.

Thanks Mike, it's a good point and I've since noticed they made a prior offer that was automatically delined ... I've sent a counter offer with a small increase so will see what response I get. :)

Well the buyer accepted my counter offer and has duly paid via Paypal and I have the Paypal registered address to send it too.
All serial numbers recorded and I will follow the advice of @Harlequin565 regarding the packing before sending RMSD, then hope for the best :)

I always print the postage label via Ebay as well. That way, if there is a problem with the address, it is not you and Ebay are aware you have sent the goods to the right address. you also get a small price reduction.

I always print the postage label via Ebay as well. That way, if there is a problem with the address, it is not you and Ebay are aware you have sent the goods to the right address. you also get a small price reduction.
Do eBay do a printed label for RMSD John ,,, they don't seem to include it as a payment option in listings?

I see they do a label for RMSD :)

Not that I do Ebay any longe but I remember getting an email recently saying you have to send the buyer a tracking number via Ebays own site before the item gets delivered otherwise it's not covered by their guarantees.
Thanks Mike, yes eBay have a process within their site to notify the buyer of despatch & tracking so everything will be by the book this end ... though it does now seem genuine.

Hope it all goes well for you!

Thanks, a bit of 'detective work' has given me some history and details about the buyer which all appears positive.

A very sensible approach. You'll be fine.

Back