eBay Scam Alert for Canon EOS 1D Mark IV

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV on eBay
eBay item number:
Bids 22

Anyone watching or interested in the above please be careful as this has SCAM written all over it ,and after a few emails it is so clear what this fruitcake is wanting to do and I think is so wrong.
He won't allow collections.

I asked : Would collection be ok to collect.

He replied: Sorry mate i only do delivery because of personal safety reasons, the package will come with insurance on it.

I replied It will be my wife who is collecting who will be bringing cash so no need to worry about safety reasons.

He replied : Hi ,it is important for you to know that for payment I use banking transaction I am an old fashion person and I don`t like or know how to use pay pal.. I strick to the good old banking transaction as it is mor easier for me.
Let me know if it`s ok with you and we go with the deal .

I also need to have the payment confirmation first(personal safety reasons) . As soon as i have the confirmation your wife is free to come and pick up the camera

The thing would put me off is his "Zero" rating as feedback, that would be my reason not to bid?

One guy over in Ireland advertised a 1D MKIV for sale on a site for 2K, arranged to meet in another town, to be met by three (non-irish) who then held him with a knife, took his 2K and headed back into the hole in the ground which they came from, the guy who was the buyer had his wife in the car also. Meet in a public place and not alone (how many times have i said this? Must be getting old)

I got excited when I first saw his advert and item condition and as Mathew says his replies are a little hard read to say the least.
His Advert does indeed say PayPal but if he accepted that way then you have a chance ( a small one at that ) to claim your money back but the whole advert and his replies it has SCAM written all over it in block capitals.

People like this really wee wee me off.

If and If you are genuine you would encourage collection as your first choice correct me if I am wrong ?

to be fair , agreeing collection for high value kit has the same risks as doing cash on collection - ie that the other party turns up team handed and or tooled up and robs you - so to an extent I understand him not doing that.

however zero feedback and a lower than average price for high value kit has scam written all over it, so I'd give it the swerve personally

One guy over in Ireland advertised a 1D MKIV for sale on a site for 2K, arranged to meet in another town, to be met by three (non-irish) who then held him with a knife, took his 2K and headed back into the hole in the ground which they came from, the guy who was the buyer had his wife in the car also. Meet in a public place and not alone (how many times have i said this? Must be getting old)

Back when I worked in Milton Keynes, a friend of mine had her bag stolen - it included her mobile phone, so I called the number and when thieving scrote answered offered to arrange a meet to buy the bag back for £100 - clearly believing me to have been born yesterday he agreed and we arranged a meet at a deserted area of a local park.

come the meet , I wasn't altogether surprised to find that he'd brought three mates and a knife with him and wanted my hundred notes without making an exchange

Sadly for him I wasn't in fact born yesterday and had brought 8 members of the local bike club with me for company ( I'd also neglected to bring the 100 notes) :LOL:

Which is a long winded way of saying that if I was going to do a 2k cash on collection deal - I wouldn't be going to the meet without taking a few large hairy mates along - even meeting in a public place doesn't guarantee that you won't get mugged.

Sound like it maybe a scam,but also i don't like anybody just turning up at my door sold a few things on here with local pickup,but i know and trust the buyer on here,but e.bay ?,to be honest i never sold anything on e.bay,brought a few low price items but that's about it,i hate all that bidding stuff :(

I would never send 2k with my wife to meet a total stranger come on get a grip Pete, I was just trying to engage his lame reply.

I would never send 2k with my wife to meet a total stranger come on get a grip Pete, I was just trying to engage his lame reply.

I got that - I was replying to steelydans suggestion you should always meet in a public place

my point was that unless you choose to meet inside a police station or similar (inside a bank is another option) , being in a well used public place isn't a good defence to getting robbed at knife point

I always do a check on people I'm meeting to buy gear from. I once agreed to meet with somebody at his place of work. I decided it was OK when my searching discovered he was a policeman!

Other than that I'd recommend the following tactic..

Meet somewhere public, in a town centre. Make it clear you have no cash with you.
Examine the goods.
If satisfied you and the seller walk to the bank, where you withdraw cash and you carry out the exchange.

It is against eBay policy to refuse PayPal as far as I'm aware. Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

If you're buying from ebay stick with paypal. If the item's not as described you can get your money back- and you won't be carrying big bundles of cash around.
A legitimate seller should be happy for you to pick up from their home or work address.
If a seller refuses paypal report the listing to ebay- it breaches their terms and conditions.

The item has now ended and I hope some poor bugger don't get shafted, he did not want to accept PayPal or meet up hence the suspicion he was a scammer and the post here to warn people.

It got won by someone else with a 0 feedback - it is is legit the chances are he's going to get screwed over or the sale falls through.

It sounds like a scam but some advise for people selling things on eBay, never let people buy with cash and collect in person as your breaking eBay/PayPal T&C and you will lose any dispute.

Let them view it in person but only accept PayPal and only ship to their registered PayPal address, and keep proof of postage.

It sounds like a scam but some advise for people selling things on eBay, never let people buy with cash and collect in person as your breaking eBay/PayPal T&C and you will lose any dispute.

Let them view it in person but only accept PayPal and only ship to their registered PayPal address, and keep proof of postage.

Sorry Joe, but I can't see that happening. If I can go and look at something, I would want to pay and take it with me.

No problem with cash on collection, (I always get them to sign a receipt) the problem is letting them pay with Paypal on collection and them claiming non-receipt. Due to you not having proof of posting, Paypal will automatically find in their favour.

I can't find where it says you cannot accept cash on collection in ebay T&Cs and if you are not using Paypal the transaction has nothing to do with them. Ebay states that Paypal MUST be a payment option but you can have others if you wish.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV on eBay
eBay item number:
Bids 22

Anyone watching or interested in the above please be careful as this has SCAM written all over it ,and after a few emails it is so clear what this fruitcake is wanting to do and I think is so wrong.
He won't allow collections.

I asked : Would collection be ok to collect.

He replied: Sorry mate i only do delivery because of personal safety reasons, the package will come with insurance on it.

I replied It will be my wife who is collecting who will be bringing cash so no need to worry about safety reasons.

He replied : Hi ,it is important for you to know that for payment I use banking transaction I am an old fashion person and I don`t like or know how to use pay pal.. I strick to the good old banking transaction as it is mor easier for me.
Let me know if it`s ok with you and we go with the deal .

I also need to have the payment confirmation first(personal safety reasons) . As soon as i have the confirmation your wife is free to come and pick up the camera

Was all this done through the ebay messages or were there contact details in the listing?

I sent messages through Ebay message.

PS: like your Avatar I also have Bengals.

As a buyer on ebay always use paypal.....that's YOUR insurance just in case, I have a ebay shop and the amount of scammers on there is unbelievable!

Back