Ebay scam

"I accept PayPal, but we can also discuss any other way of payment."

God help anyone who does. I hope whoever wins this pays through PayPal or decides against buying it.

I once 'won' a 200 f2 for £1700 on eBay - paid by PayPal - was refunded instantly and he asked for BT. I said cash on collection - 'oooh no - don't want that cash lying around'

I then reported him to eBay - and messaged him with 'I've reported you to eBay as a scammer and they are now going to investigate you' - he replied 'Many thanks!'

I have just been watching an auction for a fake Montblanc fountain pen, I contacted the seller and told him it was fake as did a few others, the seller added all our correspondence to the action description so that all buyer knew he was selling a fake.

The fakes can be bought from China for around £15, the genuine Montblanc pen costs around £350 new but often sells on eBay for around £175 as a used item

The fake item sold today for £117, even though the seller had clearly said it was a counterfeit item

What does the old saying say about a fool and his money.

eBay often is full of fools

I know someone who sells a custom made tool on eBay and he has them listed as a Buy it now for £25 and sells quite a few all around the world, these BIN sales are always running but he also sometimes lists extras as auctions with a starting price of 99pence and although most end around the £25 so it makes no difference he has sold quite a few at well over that price, with the highest at £75, why would anyone bid £75 when they could buy the same thing from the same seller for £25 and not have to wait for an auction to end.

Where are these fools when I want to sell something, and why are they always bidding on things I want to buy :(, I have lost count of the number of times I have seen second hand items sell for more that they are being sold new by other sellers.

It's madness I tell you madness

when i used to deal in coins and antiquities on there ,i listed what i thought was a george the 2nd copper halfpenny on there ,i was pretty sure it was either a trade token copy or a misspelt one and listed it as such ,it turned out to be a forgery by a famous american coin forger in the colonial american colonies ,and it eventually went for after lots and lots of offers to buy it now off me the grand sum of £375-00 .in all honesty i was expecting about 99p when i listed it .goes to show though,not bad for ten minutes with the metal detector .:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Most things looked wrong, it was a US warranty, only bought a few months ago, the photos looked like in a US house. Same listing had appeared before. Hardly any feedback. Hope it helped someone
John

I once 'won' a 200 f2 for £1700 on eBay - paid by PayPal - was refunded instantly and he asked for BT. I said cash on collection - 'oooh no - don't want that cash lying around'
I've seen both sides of this coin - though not with photography equipment.
I've sold stuff (well, once) where they have paid paypal, collected the item, then raised a 'item not received' dispute through ebay :mad: I had to phone ebay to plead my case, and in this instance they 'let' me keep the payment, and also refunded the buyer - which annoyed me somewhat.
Similarly I've sold items worth x-hundred pounds, clearly stating "cash on collection", where they have paid paypal (because you have to offer it as an option), and I then incur an additional £30 fees and the risk of the above instance happening again.

Your £1700 lens would have cost an additional £60 in fees for the seller, and the 'cash' could potentially be fake.

And to pre-empt the next questions... no, it wasn't me :D, no I'm not a scammer:confused:, and yes I have been on both sides of the 'do you pay by paypal/cash/bt' fence :)

Fair point but I have posted the abbreviated version above - he was definitely a scammer!

if youre offering collection as gavin said only accept cash on collection.

otherwise they can raise an item not received dispute with paypal and as you dont have proof of postage they will get a refund.

if youre offering collection as gavin said only accept cash on collection.

otherwise they can raise an item not received dispute with paypal and as you dont have proof of postage they will get a refund.

Yes - that's a very common scam - "My mate's in your area - can he collect the (very expensive) laptop?"

Its not proof of postage you need, but proof of delivery with a signature for a PayPal or eBay item not received claim.

Never ever accept PayPal
You can say cash on collection only in the advert and if they pay via PayPal, refund them and point back to the advert.

How does someone paying by Paypal and then collecting the item in person get around the rules and guidelines on customer not present card transactions?

Yep I agree, no activity for ages, but it's the same photos from before.

John

Or maybe he does.
This listing 321678997916 has been removed, or this item isn't available.

He's just copied another ad, changed the text and removed some photos, reported to Ebay but they've done nothing yet

I just looked and gone

They're so many scammers on ebay so I would pay extra attention when buy something. Paypal doesn't necessary means protection but at least can give you some peace of mind from a payment point of view. You can still be scammed with fake items or returns and then ebay or paypal doesn't really help.

From the ebay policies page:
"eBay requires all sellers listing on eBay.co.uk to offer payments through PayPal"
Be very careful about refusing payment methods outright. :|

I've always accepted it but when it's been used to pay for items that were being collected I've refunded it and messaged them stating cash only for collection items. I'd rather have a telling off from eBay than risk someone pulling a fast one.

On the other hand I've won items that were for collection and the seller asked me to pay by PayPal as they preferred to keep it all in banks. Each to their own.

Back