ebay studio flash............now with pics of humans!!!!!

Name
Dave Pickett
Edit My Images
Yes
Well after agonising for ages, I have finally ordered (against much of the advice on here!!) the following:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180493621541&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It seems that few have actual experience of these units, so I thought I would "take one for the team" as it were and see if they really are any good or if they are rubbish - I'll let you all know!

My reasons for choosing this against the better quality Lencarta/Elemental were:

- Much cheaper, if I dont use them much I'm not concerned - its less than a single sb600!!
- 3 lights will enable me to learn and decide whether I want to invest in better units
- If I get on with studio flash and buy better units, these ones can be used to light a highlight, or with a snoot for hair lighting etc where less power is required
- I have limited "studio" (read lounge) space and the 70 x 50 softboxes will be easier to accomodate, and the close distances of the flash to subject will mean not that much power is required.
- If I want to sell them I dont think it would be hard to get around £100 for them, so I wont be too far out of pocket, no matter what...

anyway, we shall see.......more to follow

Let us know how you get on...

(y)

that's pretty much the same kit i bought from stableimaging. very slight differences with the heads and some of the included kit. Here's my thoughts on what i have..

heads - very light and cheap feeling. decent set of controls. fixed reflector and they take a 'universal' ring fitting, so not much chance to use branded modifiers. They do put out a decent amount of light though. i have yet to check on colour consistency.

the quoted recycle time for full power is 4 seconds, a long time - but in practice, i find them to recycle much faster.

the included kit is mostly average quality, but does a fairly good job for what they are. i got 2 softboxes, a snoot, and barndoors with 4 plastic 'gels'

The light stands are actually pretty good, sturdy enough for indoor use and a good range of height adhustment. my light stands are spring loaded too, and these ebay ones look the same.

all in all, for general home use with friends/family and/or trying out sudio lighting inexpensively, not a bad kit. you will want to upgrade if you decide to take it further though.

Yes, it is pretty much the same as the Stable Imaging one and, as you say, it will get you started and you will definately be able to use it for background or effect lighting if you later upgrade - good value for money rather than good kit, but then we all have different needs.

Well it arrived this morning, 18 hours from order to delivery.......good so far.

What you get:

DSC_4295.jpg

initial set up:

DSC_4294.jpg

and a first shot of the ever handsome George (well the wife hadnt got up and the kids were at school/work!)

DSCF7419.jpg

That image looks a bit blue so need to play around with the colour balance on the Fuji. Taken at 160th @f5.6 100iso. both units on about half power.

Initial thoughts:

Stands are OK, but not damped
Units are very small and the support brackets are quite flimsy
It all works, radio trigger is reliable, as is the optical trigger
75w modelling lamps are adequate to give you some idea of the lighting effect
Softboxes appear good
Barn doors are well made
Mains cables are a good length
The whole outfit is usefully small and ideal for a home environment

So, have I blown my cash, or is this a useful introduction to studio flash?

I think the latter. Certainly if I want to get more into studio work I will upgrade, and I have always known that. Initial playing with the lights etc have shown that I have loads to learn and this outfit will enable me to climb that learning curve before I move into something more serious and expensive.

I am sure there will be the "buy cheap and you buy twice brigade" along in a minute, but given that an SB600 now costs £240, its hard to ignore the value given by this and similar kits.....................

Quick stop press, changed the colour temp to 5900 on the fuji and the result is much better.........

Woah I'm buying the exact same one!!
Hopefully my money's gone through this morning so I can buy it this afternoon!

I am sure there will be the "buy cheap and you buy twice brigade" along in a minute, but given that an SB600 now costs £240, its hard to ignore the value given by this and similar kits

As in everything cheaper you pays your money and takes your chances, although for what your going to use it for it looks ok, when you have had a chance to play further do please post some more results, with some people involved :) on another note i didn't realise an SB600 was that much now :eek: mine was about £150ish new, sold it now though.

OK well my daughter got home from school / horse riding so I got the chance to take some pics at last. Flash heads were quite close, but gave me f8 on 100 iso, one soft box at around 60 degrees (main) fill softbox more or less head on at lower power......

so sit the subject down, make a few faces and we got
110610_0118.jpg

110610_0117.jpg

Now I have to offer my sincere apologies to TP users, my penalty is that my daughter wanted to take my picture - she missed the focus on my eyes, but she is very keen to learn so I do all I can to encourage her (picture uncropped, her framing was good)

110610_0119.jpg

And now I just have to get my own back:

110610_0112.jpg

OK so I need a better background, and have yet to try the barn doors, shoot thro brolly, and silver brolly, but am I impressed with my £190 purchase?

Well what do you guys think?

Next step is to plan a picture using the lighting guide book I have purchased and try that, this set up is going to teach me loads...........

Results look good to me, looks like a good setup for casual family/friends home studio shoots.
Well impressive, for the price.

Dave

I bought a similar set but looking to purchase the one you just bought do you know if you can change the bulb to a higher wattage or are you limited to the 75w one?

I doubt you could get a higher power bulb to fit, in any event the 75w generate a load of heat and there is no fan cooling. I find they work fine if I just draw the curtains!

Looking very good, seems that is doing what you want. do you find there is enough power in reserve?

Now the interesting thing (to me anyway) is that the head shown above is exactly the same as two head kit that I have been given, mine is branded Yin Yan. and around 150Ws..

do you find there is enough power in reserve?

Not sure yet! The pics were very quickly taken at 100 iso on the fuji. Main light was quite close (within 1m) and I was able to use f8. Main light was just back from full power.

Given I was using an f1.8 50mm I could easily opened up a stop or two, or increased the ISO to 200 without any detrimental effects - so I guess yes there is enough power. I have yet to try the shoot through or silver umbrellas which I suspect are more efficient.

Although it is necesary to place the lights close, this has the benefit of softening the light so its not really an issue just a case of getting used to the equipment.

Recycling only takes about 2 seconds or so, and I didnt find that an issue.

Longer term I have ambitions of taking pictures of children at the nursery where my wife works. I think these lights would work but I will be looking at much more powerful units (elemental genisis 400s probably) and then use this set up as highlights or to light a white background.

So far I think I will be able to learn a great deal about studio lighting from this outfit, and for that alone the purchase is justified.

Given that the few shots taken so far took little set up or effort, I am pleased to be able to produce pictures without harsh shadows so easily, from this start point I can experiment and hopefully get more creative.

So far I think I will be able to learn a great deal about studio lighting from this outfit, and for that alone the purchase is justified.

Given that the few shots taken so far took little set up or effort, I am pleased to be able to produce pictures without harsh shadows so easily, from this start point I can experiment and hopefully get more creative.

and that's what it's all about =) brill results from a quick shoot. well done!

I have the Stable Imaging kit and found it ample for home use. I've now got my own small studio and find them adequate for there but can see me outgrowing them eventually.

Back