Edinburgh Fringe Toggers....Behave..!

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
Had an interesting experience at lunchtime today up in the High St at the Edinburgh Fringe. Possibly about 5000 people in the street and I happened to walk in front of a street togger just as he was taking his shot of a street leaflet distributor. F*****g D******d was his comment! When I asked him if his comment was meant for me and I explained that it was a mistake and obviously not done on purpose (as I had a camera round my neck) he just growled and said "yeh, it was meant for you" I just had to shake my head in disgust and leave him to it. I wish now that I'd taken a shot of him to post on here as he sounded local and may even be a TP member - some of the local guys on here may even have known him. What sort of advert is this for street photography if these louts think they own the street during the Fringe when there are thousands of tourists paying for their fun!

If I see him again, i'll post his pic for all to see! Shouldn't be too hard to spot him - he was loudmouthed, fat, bald and looked a bit like an orangutan - might even have been carrying a Nikon come to think of it...:LOL:

Flash in the Pan, a nice fella, even with a Nikon!

There was clearly no need for his derogatory remark. I'm sure he's filled the frame of many a persons camera inadvertently!
What a prize eedjit!

Thankfully I don't know him and probably wouldn't want to either.

People are just like that these days, as in this day and age they don't expect to get a smack in the mouth for their trouble. It's useful to recalibrate their expectations from time to time. A punch on the nose in response to rudeness is no worse than verbally abusing a stranger out of the blue IMO.

You should have told him how you admire the way he's not letting his Tourette's Syndrome get in the way of his enjoyment of photography.

Lick the front element/filter - no chance of causing damage and will gross him out!

Quite what his choice of camera system has to do with anything is beyond me though.

The Canon/Nikon argument has been boring since it started and was never funny in the first place.

Speaking of taking such shots, which I have done, I can understand the frustration but IMHO it's part and parcel of taking such shots.

Wasn't this chap was it?

4898983061_c4806a21ab_z.jpg

It was that Dom bower was it he has a big headed attitude issue and I'm just dying to break him nose :)

Had an interesting experience at lunchtime today up in the High St at the Edinburgh Fringe. Possibly about 5000 people in the street and I happened to walk in front of a street togger just as he was taking his shot of a street leaflet distributor. F*****g D******d was his comment! When I asked him if his comment was meant for me and I explained that it was a mistake and obviously not done on purpose (as I had a camera round my neck) he just growled and said "yeh, it was meant for you" I just had to shake my head in disgust and leave him to it. I wish now that I'd taken a shot of him to post on here as he sounded local and may even be a TP member

Can you be absolutely certain he wasn't part of some Fringe performance?

Pratt. I haven't been to the Festival for donkeys years, but these things happen wherever there are large crowds. We were in Rome back in January.There was plenty of competition for space at some of the main attractions, and people getting in each other's way, but you just have to deal with it.

I had an interesting one a few weeks ago, late on a Saturday night we kept on seeing a guy walking around town with a high end canon, and the last time we saw him we just when to say to the guy don't you think it would be better to have a bag rather than have the camera in plain sight, this guy just surly said go away, I don't know if he thought we were drunk but as I was getting in drivers seat I would hope not :shrug: but if we were drunk his response was not the smartest response as a drunk my have give him a smack and took his camera :LOL: :LOL:

I had an interesting one a few weeks ago, late on a Saturday night we kept on seeing a guy walking around town with a high end canon, and the last time we saw him we just when to say to the guy don't you think it would be better to have a bag rather than have the camera in plain sight, this guy just surly said go away, I don't know if he thought we were drunk but as I was getting in drivers seat I would hope not :shrug: but if we were drunk his response was not the smartest response as a drunk my have give him a smack and took his camera :LOL: :LOL:

He had probably been bugged by **** heads all night and was sick of it.....or he just thought it was none of your business :D

Jimmy_Lemon said:
He had probably been bugged by **** heads all night and was sick of it.....or he just thought it was none of your business :D

Very much possible, but still not the best response :LOL:

After yesterdays TP Fringe meet have to admit the manners of the random passing by photographers left a lot to be desired, every one of us on the meet made sure to be polite, not get in anyones way unless unintentionally but as for the rest out there manners were forgotten so they could force their way to get right in the performers faces for that perfect shot. At times i felt like growling at them to behave themselves but didn't as that would have made me as bad as them. So lots of muttering about muppets under my breath about them while they wandered about oblivious to anyone else around them.

I had a nice example of photographic rudeness and snobbery when I went to the Fringe the other day. It started to rain so I was sheltering in a close with a couple of American tourists and we were chatting about photography and comparing photographs.

In comes a chap with a very expensive camera kit around his neck and so we invited him into the conversation by asking if he's had a good day photographing. He looked at our kit, sneered and said "If you want to talk to me about photography get a decent camera!" Then turned and walked away.

I just laughed but to display that sort of rudeness to visitors to our country is not on. I made a point of watching photographers at the Fringe and it seemed to me that the more expensive kit people had the less photos they took - they just seemed content with strutting about and sneering at people with "lesser" kit.

I later met a friend there who has a bridge camera and loves it. I was telling him about our encounter and he told me that he was taking a photograph and a poser with a big DSLR held up his camera in front of my friend and said ""Three grand". My mate pointed to the front of his trousers and said "Twelve inches." :D

If it was me in the first post, I'd have spent the rest of the day trying my hardest to get into every single photo he took pulling some ridiculous face or just blocking the view completely.

Same as when some idiot in a car tries to overtake my lorry when I'm doing my legal limit of 40 in the most dangerous place possible and fails then hurls abuse at me. I'll just sit back at 30 and enjoy the ride as the car driver gets more and more irate.

If it was me in the first post, I'd have spent the rest of the day trying my hardest to get into every single photo he took pulling some ridiculous face or just blocking the view completely. Same as when some idiot in a car tries to overtake my lorry when I'm doing my legal limit of 40 in the most dangerous place possible and fails then hurls abuse at me. I'll just sit back at 30 and enjoy the ride as the car driver gets more and more irate.

I actually had this happen to me at a metal detecting rally I'd been asked to shoot. One idiot I know, went in a major huff when he realised that the shoot wasn't going to be about him alone and decided that he was going to mess things up for me by dancing around behind people I was photographing or stepping right in front of me when I tried to take a picture.

I casually mentioned to him that my cameras could shoot video and that I'd heard that he was trying to claim disabilty allowance so he could avoid working for a living. I then suggested that the social security people would be more than interested to see some video footage of him running about fields and jumping up and down pulling faces. He's been avoiding me ever since :)

I actually had this happen to me at a metal detecting rally I'd been asked to shoot. One idiot I know, went in a major huff when he realised that the shoot wasn't going to be about him alone and decided that he was going to mess things up for me by dancing around behind people I was photographing or stepping right in front of me when I tried to take a picture.

I casually mentioned to him that my cameras could shoot video and that I'd heard that he was trying to claim disabilty allowance so he could avoid working for a living. I then suggested that the social security people would be more than interested to see some video footage of him running about fields and jumping up and down pulling faces. He's been avoiding me ever since :)

So there is a reason for DSLR's to do video! :clap:

I didn't actually shoot any video but didn't tell him that :) Didn't need it anyway - he had a lot of tests to assess if he was disabled and you have to score 15 or above to get disability benefits. He scored 0.

Back