Edinburgh Shore

Name
sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Since moving back to Edinburgh a little over 3 years ago I have been building up a portfolio of the Edinburgh shoreline alng the Forth estuary. As part of a portfolio overall, I would be really interested in opinions on what works and what doesn't work as I'm trying to refine the content down a little.

Critique away!

IMG_1051 by pottering around, on Flickr
IMG_1452 by pottering around, on Flickr
IMG_3273 by pottering around, on Flickr
IMG_3294 by pottering around, on Flickr
IMG_3717-HDR by pottering around, on Flickr
IMG_3731 by pottering around, on Flickr
IMG_9730 by pottering around, on Flickr
IMG_9743 by pottering around, on Flickr

I see you need to clean your sensor :LOL::LOL::exit:

I think the biggest suggestion I could make would be to raise the exposure of the shadows in the foreground a touch.

A good wander around and an interesting eye, #2 & #5 are particularly interesting to me :)

I see you need to clean your sensor :LOL::LOL::exit:

I think the biggest suggestion I could make would be to raise the exposure of the shadows in the foreground a touch.

Yikes! I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it...! **grabs blower****

thanks for your thoughts on foreground - I do use darker foregrounds when I think appropriate, however, I shall I review these ones.

I like the 2 B&W ones.

Cheers Wayne. Urban landscapes do lend themselves to B&W for sure.

A good wander around and an interesting eye, #2 & #5 are particularly interesting to me :)

Thanks Gramps - they certainly are the most striking i agree. They shall make the cut!

Excellent set (y)

An interesting collection sam, but especially #2, #6 and #12 for me. What is that building?

A thoughtfully compiled, interesting, and well captured set of images.
What is that building?
Could that be the remnants of the old Lido or out-door swimming pool at Portobello?

Last edited:
An interesting collection sam, but especially #2, #6 and #12 for me. What is that building?

Could that be the remnants of the old Lido or out-door swimming pool at Portobello?

Its the old lighthouse to the entrance of Leith Docks.

Hi Sam,

i am intrigued by No. 2, it's an excellent composition but not one I recognise from the stomping ground that we clearly both share (the edinburgh coastline is one of my usual haunts for photography).
Is this one of the seats that sits between the new flats at Western Harbour and the old lighthouse?

I enjoyed this set very much Sam, well done. My favourite is number 2, well spotted, great image. Also love 8 & 9, my kind of shots.

Good concept and lots of interesting images.

I like!

They all work in some way or another Sam, all depends on personal taste I suppose. I think it's a lovely varied collection which works very well as a set showcasing the Edinburgh shoreline. 2, 4 and 6 are really interesting to me, would be nice to have a little story behind these type of images.
Anyway it's a great set I enjoyed viewing them all very much.

Very cool compositions based on
clever extensive use of layering! (y)

Hi Sam,

i am intrigued by No. 2, it's an excellent composition but not one I recognise from the stomping ground that we clearly both share (the edinburgh coastline is one of my usual haunts for photography).
Is this one of the seats that sits between the new flats at Western Harbour and the old lighthouse?

I enjoyed this set very much Sam, well done. My favourite is number 2, well spotted, great image. Also love 8 & 9, my kind of shots.

Good concept and lots of interesting images.

I like!

They all work in some way or another Sam, all depends on personal taste I suppose. I think it's a lovely varied collection which works very well as a set showcasing the Edinburgh shoreline. 2, 4 and 6 are really interesting to me, would be nice to have a little story behind these type of images.
Anyway it's a great set I enjoyed viewing them all very much.

Very cool compositions based on
clever extensive use of layering! (y)

Amazing set, the shot with the tire is amazing, it fooled me, I thought it was a structure in the snow :D

Thanks all for your comments - just back from a trip away and catching up.

Stuart - it is one of the seats. I recall having to avoid putting one leg of my tripod into a dog poop when taking this though. :(

Neil - There's a story behind each one of these - broken filter, soggy feet and fozen fingers - but in a general sense it's more about getting me out and about in my local area since I moved here three years ago. It keeps my hand in for when I get the opportunity to head into the hills. That said, an urban image has been shortlisted for LPOTY but none of my rural ones have! (**** as he suddenly realises that this has been incorrectly listed in teh wrong area....****).
The Edinburgh shore is pretty unloved by the city fathers - it could be so much more. Most visitors to Edinburgh could be forgiven for not realising there is a shoreline at all. Whilst I have my fair share of castle photographs, I want to build up an alternative collection of Edinburgh which I have started here: http://www.sproctorimages.com/projects/

Back