Editing across Mac and iPad Pro?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Forgive me if I've missed a previous thread on this, and particular apologies if I'm being a bit thick with this...

I've just picked up an iPad Pro and I'd like to use it for light processing and, most importantly, sorting and cataloguing. Until now I've been using a MacBook Pro with LR5. I'd assumed I could just go over to CC and use that across both devices, i.e. import to LRCC through the iPad while out & about, select best images and lightly process as needed, then finalise on Mac once home. But it appears that CC comes with only 2GB cloud storage on the photographer's package, so I'm struggling to understand the workflow Adobe expects people to use as I can fill that in a couple of hours' walkabout shooting. Am I missing something obvious? I assume this will only work if I immediately reject (and delete) almost everything before uploading to cloud, then presumably archive all of this locally once I've finished with developing.

Is anyone here making this combination work for them? Please explain!

I use it exactly for this, and I had not thought about the space until you mentioned it! That said I'm struggling to find out how much space I'm using - where do you find it?

The LR app on mobile just tells you how many photos, not size and I can't find any info on the web / account management section.
If I do go to my cloud drive via the adobe site, none of the synced photo's are included in the images I have saved to the adobe cloud - perhaps they don't count?

I would guess that the obvious point is that the photos aren't stored in the cloud, they are stored locally on the iPad and transferred through the cloud to be stored locally on the Mac.

Cheers chaps. It's possible I've misunderstood and stuff uploaded from the ipad don't count, or something. @Furtim - are you on the "photographer's package" or one of the bigger ones? I understand they get more storage space.

My point is that, in order to be synced between devices, everything has to be in the cloud. If I put 50GB of photos onto the ipad, then delete 90% of that, I would still need 5GB of space to be able to sync all of that and view it on my laptop. If I can do that then it's the perfect solution, even if I have to locally archive old files on my laptop every so often. I'll keep googling but would appreciate any further insight from anyone using it this way!

There's also talk of their new Nimbus thing which is expected to be 1TB of cloud, but presumably either won't have all of LR's capabilities or will cost extra.

Cheers chaps. It's possible I've misunderstood and stuff uploaded from the ipad don't count, or something. @Furtim - are you on the "photographer's package" or one of the bigger ones? I understand they get more storage space.

My point is that, in order to be synced between devices, everything has to be in the cloud. If I put 50GB of photos onto the ipad, then delete 90% of that, I would still need 5GB of space to be able to sync all of that and view it on my laptop. If I can do that then it's the perfect solution, even if I have to locally archive old files on my laptop every so often. I'll keep googling but would appreciate any further insight from anyone using it this way!

There's also talk of their new Nimbus thing which is expected to be 1TB of cloud, but presumably either won't have all of LR's capabilities or will cost extra.

Photographers

BUT I just discovered something! If you navigate from Desktop Lightroom -> Help -> View your Synced photos on the web
you get the very comprehensive web editing capability. You can upload, edit, organise etc. So the synched photo's must be stored on the cloud at all times for this to have access.

This is interesting.

From: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/faq.html#CCPp

Does the Creative Cloud Photography plan include online storage?
The Creative Cloud Photography plan includes 2 GB of online storage. The storage enables various apps within the bundle to sync and transfer metadata, which provides seamless integration across applications.

The plan also includes Lightroom for mobile, which includes the ability to sync images between Lightroom for the desktop and your mobile devices. Images synced with Lightroom for mobile do not count toward your 2 GB of online storage.

Seems like the limit only applies to files synced from desktop, so my specific use-case should work absolutely fine, which would be perfect. I'd love confirmation from someone who is actively using it though.

I use LRM for about 90% of my workflow, even most of the editing is done on a 12.9 iPad pro.

Any photos synched between LRM and LRD, regardless of how they are uploaded/synched, are outside of the 2GB usage, TBH I'm not sure what the 2gb is for. The reason photos are excluded is that once the photos are on the LRD, only smart previews stay in the cloud. This is why it can't be used as on an online backup facility

Back