Beginner Editing on IPad

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,

I'm a complete beginner, I have a Nikon D3200. I'm just curious...does anyone edit their photographs using an IPad rather than a PC or Laptop? My laptop packed up & I can't afford to buy a new one at the minute...however I have an IPad air & was thinking of buying a Nikon wi-1a adapter so I can transfer my snaps over to it. I'm just wondering how long I can get away with doing this till I need to get a new laptop! Does anyone use an iPad rather than a laptop & has anyone got any advice on photo editing apps?

TIA
Helen x

Not really much use to you, but sometimes if I'm on the road I'll sync a folder in Lightroom to the Ipad, I can do the initial culling and initial WB and exposure tweaks as quickly on the Ipad as on the PC.

But of course in reality, the memory ceiling on the Ipad makes it unsuitable as an editing workstation, but then IMO laptops are no use as a permanent solution either, I need my 2 screens, fast web connection and masses of storage on my 'work' PC.

I would 2nd snapseed as well it will probably do most of what you need to do untill you can afford another computer. :)

Take a look at Kingston Mobilite tried to post a link here but I couldn't post it reads SD or USB sticks and is wireless for under £20
Ideal for use with iPad

I've used snapseed on the iPhone and really liked it but apparently it can't process RAW files. Photogene supposedly can process RAW so that might be worth a try if you shoot in that format.

I tried in on my iPad and the file was a NEF and it worked ok,

Not sure if I've missed something

What is the ideal workflow for RAW images in Snapseed?
RAW images are only compatible if transferred onto the iPad using the camera connector kit. After enhancing images, you can either save the photo and sync it back to your computer or email it to yourself.
taken from the snapped site and i did use the camera kit,so it seems you can work with RAW

The only advantage as I see i with the W1a is if you use it with qDSLR Dashboard when you will be able to use it as a remote with liveview. You an control the camera settings from qDSLR. It does cost about £7 but blows the nikon software into dust

Take a look at Kingston Mobilite tried to post a link here but I couldn't post it reads SD or USB sticks and is wireless for under £20
Ideal for use with iPad

The Mobilte app is bad, Filebrower app is much better, I have the G2 Kingston

What is the ideal workflow for RAW images in Snapseed?
RAW images are only compatible if transferred onto the iPad using the camera connector kit. After enhancing images, you can either save the photo and sync it back to your computer or email it to yourself.
taken from the snapped site and i did use the camera kit,so it seems you can work with RAW

with the camera connector kit do you just have to transfer the images from the SD card rather than the camera itself? Thanks

Also...on the subject of the camera connection kit...would I need to buy a genuine Apple one or would a cheap one do the same job? TIA

Also...on the subject of the camera connection kit...would I need to buy a genuine Apple one or would a cheap one do the same job? TIA
I'd recommend the official Apple accessories, since the cheap ones I've used or hears about in the past have been fussy or not worked at all. I've had my official camera connector kit for a couple of years and used it a lot, and it works perfectly every time.

Also I can recommend Snapseed as an iPad photo editor, and photogene. Also, Facetune is a great editor for portraits :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice falloutboy that was my initial thought but thought I'd check first! (y)

yes helen you just slip the card into the apple connector and it asks if you want to import all photos or if you just need some you tick them and import those. definitely recommend the apple kit rather than third party

Smashing!! It's cheaper than the wi-1a and looks like it does basically the same job, only not wirelessly?

I'd recommend the official Apple accessories, since the cheap ones I've used or hears about in the past have been fussy or not worked at all. I've had my official camera connector kit for a couple of years and used it a lot, and it works perfectly every time.

Also I can recommend Snapseed as an iPad photo editor, and photogene. Also, Facetune is a great editor for portraits :)

Another vote for the official apple kit as you get the sd card adapter and USB adapter, meaning you can connect directly to the camera body of you get a body with CF cards instead.

Hi everyone,

I'm a complete beginner, I have a Nikon D3200. I'm just curious...does anyone edit their photographs using an IPad rather than a PC or Laptop? My laptop packed up & I can't afford to buy a new one at the minute...however I have an IPad air & was thinking of buying a Nikon wi-1a adapter so I can transfer my snaps over to it. I'm just wondering how long I can get away with doing this till I need to get a new laptop! Does anyone use an iPad rather than a laptop & has anyone got any advice on photo editing apps?

TIA
Helen x

There is no rules saying that you must do your editing on a Windows based computer. You are free to do your editing on whatever machines you wish, be it a PC, laptop, Apple Mac, iPad, or even a smartphone, and with whatever software or apps you want. Not much different from some people prefer to use a pen not a pencil to do some sketches, or use a pencil rather than a pen for writing. MacGyver used a penknife rather than a proper screwdriver and can still get the job done. You're free to use iPad for editing if you want to, it is just a case of see how you feel. just go for it.

Back